Best Buy customer survey details 42-inch Apple HDTV with iOS for $1499

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    I understand that it is probably a fantasy survey, but I hope this is not the future of the Apple TV.

These features are really nothing much at all. My current system does all of this except for Siri voice integration.

55" Panasonic 3D 1080p plasma : YouTube, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon VOD, Cinema Now, Skype, Twitter, Facebook, Picassa, AVCHD videos, media streaming

Panasonic Home Theater system, 3D Blu Ray, YouTube, Amazon, Netflix, media streaming, Skype, more

Apple TV2 - you know what that does

Let's see: TV=$999 (w/ 2 pairs of Panny 3D glasses - good sale), Home Theater system= $429, Apple TV = $99

I'd love to see another great Apple product, but I suspect that a TV that costs much more than the current TVs will have to do much more to justify the price.
  • Reply 22 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PowerMach View Post

I understand that it is probably a fantasy survey, but I hope this is not the future of the Apple TV.

These features are really nothing much at all. My current system does all of this except for Siri voice integration.

55" Panasonic 3D 1080p plasma : YouTube, Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon VOD, Cinema Now, Skype, Twitter, Facebook, Picassa, AVCHD videos, media streaming

Panasonic Home Theater system, 3D Blu Ray, YouTube, Amazon, Netflix, media streaming, Skype, more

Apple TV2 - you know what that does

Let's see: TV=$999 (w/ 2 pairs of Panny 3D glasses - good sale), Home Theater system= $429, Apple TV = $99

I'd love to see another great Apple product, but I suspect that a TV that costs much more than the current TVs will have to do much more to justify the price.

Convincing consumers to pay more has always been the Apple way. While other laptop makers raced each other to the bottom, Apple held firm in the upper range of the laptop market and are flourishing with profit margin that is the envy of the industry.

People will pay more for perceived quality. The problem with today's TV market is that perceived quality differences are not there. That's partially because of the incompetence of retailers in displaying their products has wiped out whatever quality differences can be perceived in a retail setting. The $400 set looks just as good as the $1,000 set when you check it out at the store. Neither is being set up for optimal results and we have to remember that we have a large segment of the population who grew up watching horrible standard-dev pictures and thinking that was perfectly OK.

Even now, the quality compromises are disappointing. The Superbowl yesterday was marvellous. Great game. But the broadcast, seriously, it was awful. I realize there are restrictions in feeding up HD signals via cable or satellite but we shouldn't put up with such poor product.

The technology exists to make TV a great experience and we seem to not have the interest in implementing that technology to a high standard. My hope is that if Apple does enter this market, it will raise the bar.
  • Reply 23 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by massconn72 View Post

Best Buy wouldn't anymore about TV's than they do about what a bunch of idiots their Geek squad is.

As an employee of Best Buy, and working in Geek Squad, I do apologize about your experience, but I take offense that you lump everybody in with that. For the most part, my experiences with customers are always very pleasant, professional, and productive. I get great feedback from my clients, and having a degree in an IT related field, feel I am very qualified for the job and advice that I give.

I am sure you are a superior human being compared to myself, though, simply because I work for Geek Squad. Whatever profession you work in (if any), undoubtedly has idiots in it, as well, and I would guess you wouldn't like me to lump you in with them, either.
  • Reply 24 of 71
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    There's nothing, with possible exception of iSight camera, that an AppleTV attached to an ordinary 40" TV can't do in exactly the same way, but for 500 hundred dollars less. Plus, I can upgrade to a better AppleTV for only $100, without the need to buy a whole new panel.
  • Reply 25 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xsu View Post

There's nothing, with possible exception of iSight camera, that an AppleTV attached to an ordinary 40" TV can't do in exactly the same way, but for 500 hundred dollars less. Plus, I can upgrade to a better AppleTV for only $100, without the need to buy a whole new panel.

I mean SERIOUSLY. When the argument against a TV is THIS simple to write out, you know there's something wrong with the idea.
  • Reply 26 of 71
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Well there are less cables. Also the TV proper will probably come with iOS proper, while the cheap box wont, or will be discontinued.

( and you cant play games etc. at the moment).
  • Reply 27 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

as an employee of best buy, and working in geek squad, i do apologize about your experience, but i take offense that you lump everybody in with that. For the most part, my experiences with customers are always very pleasant, professional, and productive. I get great feedback from my clients, and having a degree in an it related field, feel i am very qualified for the job and advice that i give.

I am sure you are a superior human being compared to myself, though, simply because i work for geek squad. Whatever profession you work in (if any), undoubtedly has idiots in it, as well, and i would guess you wouldn't like me to lump you in with them, either.

+1...
  • Reply 28 of 71
    Quote:

As an employee of Best Buy, and working in Geek Squad, I do apologize about your experience, but I take offense that you lump everybody in with that. For the most part, my experiences with customers are always very pleasant, professional, and productive. I get great feedback from my clients, and having a degree in an IT related field, feel I am very qualified for the job and advice that I give.

I am sure you are a superior human being compared to myself, though, simply because I work for Geek Squad. Whatever profession you work in (if any), undoubtedly has idiots in it, as well, and I would guess you wouldn't like me to lump you in with them, either.

Don't take it hard. There are good and bad employees working with any company and as you point out, it could be that a bad experience is behind the comment in question. For all we know there is no experience behind the comment, just an urge to be dismissive just for the heck of it.

My beef is not with Best Buy or the Geek Squad or any specific electronics retailer. My concern is that the industry as a whole has dropped the HD ball by not stepping up its game in terms of presenting HD technology in a retail setting. I purchased my current set from a Big Box retailer but I have to say it was not the picture I saw on the display in-store that influenced my purchase. I wouldn't have given that retailer a dime for that model based on the horrible picture displayed in the store but once I got my set properly calibrated and fed it a quality signal, the results were very satisfying.

This is an opportunity for Apple to gain a foothold in this mature market. Present the Apple TV the right way and Apple will have an easy time convincing consumers to pay a premium for Apple's product. It's a failing on the part of competitors that gives Apple an opening.
  • Reply 29 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

squeals of anticipation.

Can't you already do this with AirPlay screen sharing?
  • Reply 30 of 71
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I mean SERIOUSLY. When the argument against a TV is THIS simple to write out, you know there's something wrong with the idea.

The iSight camera is the biggest reason for this unity and I'm not even sure that's a big deal. We all hate wires but on a TV you set it and forget it. I would rather have a USB cable going from a low profile camera to the back of the AppleTV than pay an extravagant fee just to have a camera.

And I'm not even sure what the use would be. FaceTime? But how often does one use that? Sure, it would be nice to see family on the big screen but how would the camera work for a living room? It would have to be a high enough resolution with the ability to crop on the fly to lower the video packet size and/or have motors to be directional and zoom otherwise you might have to get into awkward locations for usage.

Then there is the issue of the mic on the TV near the speakers. Can they sufficiently cancel out the other end for volume that will have to carry throughout the living room? A remote with a mic (also needed for Siri) might have to be in play. I'm not sure this is viable.
  • Reply 31 of 71
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buckeyestar View Post

You do know you can already do this. Angry Birds is available on PS3 and probably the 360 as well.

or with Apple Airplay...
  • Reply 32 of 71
    $1499 for a 42" LCD television when a 42" Plasma with undoubtedly superior picture can be had for $629? This Apple Television better come with a lifetime supply of free programming for that kind of dough.
  • Reply 33 of 71
    Wonder if it will be rectangular, thin, have an uncluttered bezel.....

You know....wouldn't want it looking like a Samsung TV after all,
  • Reply 34 of 71
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    I dont see the point of doing a TV set unless they merge the cable box into the smart TV interface. Anything less than that you will still have to deal with different remotes and different interfaces.

And if you still have to deal with many external devices, you are better off with a seperate Apple TV box that is easier to upgrade.

To transform the TV market into a more profitable market with faster product rotation, Apple needs to sell Tv's with plans, just like in the cell phone business. And in order to do that, they need to get in bed with the providers.
  • Reply 35 of 71
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    April Fools Day came early this year. I call BS.
  • Reply 36 of 71
    I'M SO EXCITEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!

IronTed
  • Reply 37 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IronTed View Post

I'M SO EXCITEDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!

It doesn't appear as though you can hide it. Just don't lose control, as much as you may desire to.
  • Reply 38 of 71
    Best Buy will know the specs of the Apple TV the same time as the rest of us.
  • Reply 39 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I dont see the point of doing a TV set unless they merge the cable box into the smart TV interface. Anything less than that you will still have to deal with different remotes and different interfaces. ...

You are ignoring the possibility that they will market the TV to those who don't care about cable.

I realise this concept is hard to imagine on a male dominated tech site just after the Super Bowl weekend, but I can assure you there are many people who don't care about "live TV" at all.

For example professional sports generally only appeals to about 51% of the public. The "news" hasn't really been worth watching (or really anything that could rightly be called journalism) for decades. Most news junkies get their news on the web. Everything else is easily replaced and mostly has already been replaced by services like iTunes, Netflix, etc.
  • Reply 40 of 71
    Quote:

I have actually had nothing but good experiences with Best Buy employees, its Best Buy corporate policy that I find to be distastfull. You have no idea how infuriated I get when I see the head to head comparison of a Monster HDMI cable vs a cheap 20 year composite cable. OMG a hdmi cable can beat the old RCA jacks, I'm shocked. Then I hear the salesperson say "this is the reason you need a $100.00 hdmi cable to run a signal 6 feet". Really?? If I am in the store I interupt the sales people right there, tell the people they are being lied to, and that they should buy the cheapest hdmi cable they can find buy through monoprice. Its a freakin digital signal, its either getting their or its not.

Just my two cents, but its policy like that which causes people to hold best buy(and unfortunately) their employees in low regard.