Best Buy customer survey details 42-inch Apple HDTV with iOS for $1499

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It would be funny if Apple releases a 21:9 HDTV like Vizio has coming out. If Apple did that it would likely be the only way TVs should come in the future. With HD channels being 16:9 it would leave a good amount of space for the AppleTV UI on the side.

I don't like it. My space is constrained enough as it is, and I want it to be all screen. Apple can figure out a better way than that.

Thompson
  • Reply 62 of 71
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

You are ignoring the possibility that they will market the TV to those who don't care about cable.

I realise this concept is hard to imagine on a male dominated tech site just after the Super Bowl weekend, but I can assure you there are many people who don't care about "live TV" at all.

For example professional sports generally only appeals to about 51% of the public. The "news" hasn't really been worth watching (or really anything that could rightly be called journalism) for decades. Most news junkies get their news on the web. Everything else is easily replaced and mostly has already been replaced by services like iTunes, Netflix, etc.

Internet only VOD is a tiny market imo. I don't see Apple going only there, they need something profitable they can sell in volume. VOD adds value, but the mass market still wants reliable live TV.

Even if they go with cable, you could still use the TV for internet only VOD. And the actual 99$ Apple TV already offers VOD.
  • Reply 63 of 71
    WHAT IF:

it also comes with an advanced graphic card, meaning that all consoles would become obsolete?

if it has a fast processor and iOS and an advanced graphic card, together with everything we are talking about, oh boy... goodbye xbox, ps, etc.

it would be just brutal!!!
  • Reply 64 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

WHAT IF:

it also comes with an advanced graphic card, meaning that all consoles would become obsolete?

if it has a fast processor and iOS and an advanced graphic card, together with everything we are talking about, oh boy... goodbye xbox, ps, etc.

No, this will not be happening. Apple. Make another console? No.

Apple. Involve themselves with GOOD graphics cards? No.
  • Reply 65 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, this will not be happening. Apple. Make another console? No.

Apple. Involve themselves with GOOD graphics cards? No.

it only has to be good enough for iOS games (we can agree that iOS is more suited than OSX for this tv right?). with their amount of games growing like that, it would be amazing and it would destroy/change/reinvent more industries.

it would also make it (the tv) unique.
  • Reply 66 of 71
    Quote:

And obsolete in a year when the next set of consoles comes out. Apple's not big on keeping up in that regard.

When the consoles are designed for a five year lifespan, it's silly to be building one into a TV. And when I get a new console, I don't have to buy a new TV. This way I would.
  • Reply 67 of 71
    ah... again:

since the itv is much bigger than a tablet (unless we are talking about future android tablets since apple will eat all of the 10inch screens) it would be able to have a nice (it does not have to be 7970) graphics card.

iOS game work and look great without coming close to desktop games requirements, so that would make the iTV a market by itself, with hundreds of games (i am not talking about crisis. i'm talking about GTA 3, infinite blade, angry birds, etc) and the iTV wouldn't become obsolete because games would've been made for it. just like modern consoles are not obsolete because games are made for them. don't forget that it would be more powerful than any tablet.

this would be a great bonus.

since people will keep them as their main tv for maybe 7 years, games would need to have some requirements, so your tv of today would be able to play games from 3 years for now. so apple would just improve the graphics card 2 times per decade. it's cheap and amazing.
  • Reply 68 of 71
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member
    Quote:

WHAT IF:

You'd be looking at an ARM Soc.

Quote:

it only has to be good enough for iOS games (we can agree that iOS is more suited than OSX for this tv right?). with their amount of games growing like that, it would be amazing and it would destroy/change/reinvent more industries.

Again the equivalent of the ipad Soc. I'm not sure how the market would be for this. Hand held gaming systems have always trended toward simpler games and older ports. I don't personally see the appeal in extending that to a stationary form factor. It would probably need to be somewhat closer to console territory to really take off.

Quote:

ah... again:

since the itv is much bigger than a tablet (unless we are talking about future android tablets since apple will eat all of the 10inch screens) it would be able to have a nice (it does not have to be 7970) graphics card.

iOS game work and look great without coming close to desktop games requirements, so that would make the iTV a market by itself, with hundreds of games (i am not talking about crisis. i'm talking about GTA 3, infinite blade, angry birds, etc) and the iTV wouldn't become obsolete because games would've been made for it. just like modern consoles are not obsolete because games are made for them. don't forget that it would be more powerful than any tablet.

this would be a great bonus.

since people will keep them as their main tv for maybe 7 years, games would need to have some requirements, so your tv of today would be able to play games from 3 years for now. so apple would just improve the graphics card 2 times per decade. it's cheap and amazing.

People seemed to upgrade televisions more frequently for a few years there. It's just it's back to being a stagnant product that you upgrade when the old one breaks. Personally I don't care for television much, so I'm unwilling to spend much on one. My old one works, and the picture still looks good, so I refuse to buy another until that is no longer the case.
  • Reply 69 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Internet only VOD is a tiny market imo. I don't see Apple going only there, they need something profitable they can sell in volume. VOD adds value, but the mass market still wants reliable live TV.

Even if they go with cable, you could still use the TV for internet only VOD. And the actual 99$ Apple TV already offers VOD.

I'm not buying this.

It seems like you are taking a huge variety of services and just labelling them "VOD" and dismissing them simultaneously without any real reason.

I know lots of folks (like me) who already get by with just iTunes and Netflix. If you add in Hulu for the US people or something similar in each individual country you've probably covered 90% of the content that people care about already.

Personally I'd rather have long steel needles inserted into my eyes than watch sports but even if I liked it, there are better options for watching sports on the Internet than on TV. If you are a baseball fan for instance you can get MLB-TV and have a far better and more complete experience than worrying about trying to find the games online. The same goes for Hockey in Canada and other sports in other countries.

If the new Apple TV had a lot of apps like this that were essentially channels for a few major content sources like this, I don't see why it wouldn't take off. As I said, with iTunes and Netflix alone, I rarely if ever have to torrent something because it isn't available.
  • Reply 70 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I'm not buying this.

It seems like you are taking a huge variety of services and just labelling them "VOD" and dismissing them simultaneously without any real reason.

I know lots of folks (like me) who already get by with just iTunes and Netflix. If you add in Hulu for the US people or something similar in each individual country you've probably covered 90% of the content that people care about already.

Personally I'd rather have long steel needles inserted into my eyes than watch sports but even if I liked it, there are better options for watching sports on the Internet than on TV. If you are a baseball fan for instance you can get MLB-TV and have a far better and more complete experience than worrying about trying to find the games online. The same goes for Hockey in Canada and other sports in other countries.

If the new Apple TV had a lot of apps like this that were essentially channels for a few major content sources like this, I don't see why it wouldn't take off. As I said, with iTunes and Netflix alone, I rarely if ever have to torrent something because it isn't available.

You do realize that any modern tv can do exactly what you describe(minus itunes). And apple already sells a little box for $99 that you can hook up to your tv(and replace as needed). So why would apple enter this highly competitive market without some killer feature or new way of providing content? It has to be more than just a tv with apps, as this is already available from many different providers at cut rate prices.
  • Reply 71 of 71
    cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Baka-Dubbs View Post

You do realize that any modern tv can do exactly what you describe(minus itunes). And apple already sells a little box for $99 that you can hook up to your tv(and replace as needed). So why would apple enter this highly competitive market without some killer feature or new way of providing content? It has to be more than just a tv with apps, as this is already available from many different providers at cut rate prices.

Agreed. If apple enters the tv market, they're going to arrive with a much better way to watch tv, and that will be the focus. Not countless distracting widgets and apps that have nothing to do with watching television. Not HULU and Netflix channels that every one else has already been offering for years.