Viacom deal brings MTV, Comedy Central, Nickelodeon shows to Amazon Prime

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

Amazon on Wednesday confirmed that it has inked a deal with another major content provider — Viacom — to bring shows from networks like MTV, Nickelodeon, Comedy Central, TV Land VH1 to its Prime Instant Video subscription service.

The latest deal is another example of how Amazon continues to enhance its content offerings to better compete with services like Netflix as well as Apple's iTunes. The Viacom agreement brings 2,000 new titles to Amazon Prime Instant Video.

New shows available to those who subscribe to the $79-per-year Amazon Prime service include Nickelodeon's "Avatar: The Last Airbender," "Dora the Explorer," iClarly," and "Yo Gabba Gabba;" Comedy Central's "Chappelle's Show," "The Sarah Silverman Program," and "Strangers with Candy;" MTV's "The Real World," and "Jersey Shore;" and TV Land's "Hot in Cleveland."

In addition to access to the Prime Instant Video content, subscribers also receive free two-day shipping on millions of items sold through Amazon. Eligible orders can also be upgraded to overnight shipping for $3.99.

Prime Instant Videos can be viewed on Amazon's color touchscreen tablet, the , as well as Mac, PC, Roku, and select TVs, set-top boxes and Blu-ray players.

The deal was made official only hours after rumors first surfaced that Amazon was near finalizing a deal with Viacom for video content. The Web video licensing agreement with Viacom is in addition to existing Amazon Prime deals with Fox, CBS, NBC Universal, Walt Disney, Warner Bros., and Sony.

Though Amazon does compete with Apple's iTunes for the sale of music, movies and TV shows, the online retailer's primary focus is said to be taking on Netflix in the subscription video market. Apple does not offer a subscription video option, but years ago was said to have pursued subscription TV deals with content providers, though those plans never came to be.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    You know, if Amazon really wants this video service to compete with iTunes (and looking at the fact at they make money off content, not devices), they really need to come out with an iOS client. I'm really surprised that they haven't yet, and the question for me is why not?
  • Reply 2 of 30
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smiles77 View Post

You know, if Amazon really wants this video service to compete with iTunes (and looking at the fact at they make money off content, not devices), they really need to come out with an iOS client. I'm really surprised that they haven't yet, and the question for me is why not?

I don't know about iPhone/Pod but the real need is for the ability to watch Amazon Prime on an AppleTV. There are a few content channels on AppleTV, but it is obviously not trivial to get on there. If the AppleTV were opened up to apps, this would've been done a long time ago.

FWIW, we have an AppleTV and bought a Roku just for Amazon Prime. The AppleTV doesn't get used much anymore. Roku is excellent for the internets, but doesn't get stuff off my content server, so we still need both.

BTW, for video, having Amazon Prime for the great deal of unlimited free stuff (and the free shipping on material stuff) is worlds better than iTunes. It's a real cable replacement.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Quote:

Woo hoo ! $79 / yr to watch the Snooki creature and Dora the Explorer!

Prime !
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Even though I am an Amazon Prime member, I have not really made use of their streaming video content. The main reason? I can't get it to my main TV! I have the AppleTV and an Xbox 360 that should be capable. Please?

I do have a Roku on a secondary TV in the kitchen, but it doesn't get used as much, and the UI is tedious to browse shows with...

I wonder if Amazon is holding back on iOS/AppleTV support to favor their own products such as the Kindle Fire? Or if they are trying to build up a content base before really pushing it out to users?
  • Reply 5 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msimpson View Post

Prime !

I'm going to assume you've never used Prime Instant Videos. It really is a good service, comparable to Netlix, at least with things I've wanted to watch. But the big thing for me with Prime is the free 2-day shipping. That alone has paid for my Prime subscription, the other stuff is just icing on the cake.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Quote:

Your point? As opposed to the $8 / month ($96 /year) I'm paying to Netflix right now, for incredibly poor service? (I actually defended Netflix during last summer's troubles, but no more - their streaming has gotten materially worse over the last few months, to the point where it's completely unreliable for any program.)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbmcavoy View Post

Even though I am an Amazon Prime member, I have not really made use of their streaming video content. The main reason? I can't get it to my main TV! I have the AppleTV and an Xbox 360 that should be capable. Please?

I wonder if Amazon is holding back on iOS/AppleTV support to favor their own products such as the Kindle Fire? Or if they are trying to build up a content base before really pushing it out to users?

Not logical. They could allow viewing via an Apple TV, and get lots of people like me who want to watch TV programs on... a TV. Or they're stuck with people watching TV programs on a small hand-held device that gets a lot of customer complaints. The latter makes no sense. If Amazon Prime were on Apple TV, I'd subscribe to it in a heartbeat (and probably cancel Netflix).
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Quote:

Prime !

Some crap, yes.

But Comedy Central is good to have, even though much of their content can be streamed from their website already.

CC plus some national news (maybe FOX, CNN and MSNBC) would be worth 80 bucks a year even with no other incentives. ISTM that Amazon is serious here and wants to make Prime a compelling value to further lock in customers.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

Prime !

Typical talk of someone who has never used anything. If Prime offered no content and all (which I use none of)- I would still get it just because of the free 2 day shipping. Amazon is awesome. Best customer service, fast and good shipping- they are great.

I, too, would love it if they had an Apple TV, iPad/iPhone client. I would use it for sure.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    I suspect the 2 day free shipping really does not cost Amazon anything extra.

The only difference between the regular 5 day free shipping and Amazon Prime's 2 day free shipping is that Amazon will keep the package in the warehouse for extra 3 days.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    For everyone that loves amazon VOD and has an AppleTV, I wast it all the time on my AppleTV. If you are willing to jailbreak it and install XBMC (I love it), they have an amazon.com plugin for VOD. Actually they have plugins for almost everything including HULU and plan old access to tv network videos like HGTV, CBS, ...
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Quote:

I do have a Roku on a secondary TV in the kitchen, but it doesn't get used as much, and the UI is tedious to browse shows with...

I don't think it's Amazon's choice to put their content on AppleTV. I agree the Amazon Prime UI is pretty lame. You might like it better with the iOS Roku app.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by williamh View Post

I don't know about iPhone/Pod but the real need is for the ability to watch Amazon Prime on an AppleTV. There are a few content channels on AppleTV, but it is obviously not trivial to get on there. If the AppleTV were opened up to apps, this would've been done a long time ago.

FWIW, we have an AppleTV and bought a Roku just for Amazon Prime. The AppleTV doesn't get used much anymore. Roku is excellent for the internets, but doesn't get stuff off my content server, so we still need both.

BTW, for video, having Amazon Prime for the great deal of unlimited free stuff (and the free shipping on material stuff) is worlds better than iTunes. It's a real cable replacement.

In reference to the contrast in Apple products, I agree about AppleTV, but that's in Apple's court. As far as iPhone and iPad goes, Amazon could do that whenever they want. That's the thing I'm talking about. Why alienate these users for video, when you allow Kindle everywhere?

In reference to the value of the Prime video service, I've not found it to be useful at all. I have it (got Prime for $39 as a student), and I've found mostly 3rd rate movies and nothing I've wanted watch yet. It's my own personal experience, but take it FWIW.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whoismoses View Post

For everyone that loves amazon VOD and has an AppleTV, I wast it all the time on my AppleTV. If you are willing to jailbreak it and install XBMC (I love it), they have an amazon.com plugin for VOD. Actually they have plugins for almost everything including HULU and plan old access to tv network videos like HGTV, CBS, ...

I jailbroke my Gen1 AppleTV and the performance was too bad. I ought to do it on my current AppleTV and see how it is. The other thing is that, at least on ATV gen1, the XBMC and other apps were kindof quirky and while I could deal with it, my non-technical wife had little tolerance for crap.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Typical talk of someone who has never used anything. If Prime offered no content and all (which I use none of)- I would still get it just because of the free 2 day shipping. Amazon is awesome. Best customer service, fast and good shipping- they are great.

I, too, would love it if they had an Apple TV, iPad/iPhone client. I would use it for sure.

Its an Apple fan site. Deal with it
  • Reply 15 of 30
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:

what's amazon's point

apple creats methods to get content at say just above break even to sell high margin products and build loyalty

but if you are selling your stuff at a loss to get low margin "content" well

amazon stock is going down

what's the business model.....lose at volume??
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Ho hum. Wake me up when Prime Eligible Instant Video does these:
    • Supports Apple TV, iPad, iPhone/iPad touch, Playstation 3, Wii, or Xbox 360

• Currently running TV shows instead of classic titles (just handful at that) from each network

As it stands and despite all the issues, Hulu+ seems to be the best cord cutter platform overall.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    Quote:

In reference to the contrast in Apple products, I agree about AppleTV, but that's in Apple's court. As far as iPhone and iPad goes, Amazon could do that whenever they want. That's the thing I'm talking about. Why alienate these users for video, when you allow Kindle everywhere?

In reference to the value of the Prime video service, I've not found it to be useful at all. I have it (got Prime for $39 as a student), and I've found mostly 3rd rate movies and nothing I've wanted watch yet. It's my own personal experience, but take it FWIW.

Two Words: Top Gear

Top Gear UK really rocks. Look for their trips across Africa, South America, the Middle East, etc. Those are the best.

I watched a really incredible movie a few days ago, IP Man - you seriously won't regret finding that one. It's about the master who taught Bruce Lee and his experience during the Japanese occupation of Manchuria. Might sound a bit obscure or too educational, but really this is an amazing flick.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Very cool.

$6.60 a month for Amazon Prime

$8.00 a month for Hulu

$8.00 a month for Netflix

Tons upon tons of free content on the Roku.

Why can`t I get my wife to dump the satellite dish?
  • Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kingsmuse View Post

Why can`t I get my wife to dump the satellite dish?

Because you can't get streaming live news. That's the only reason my parents haven't dropped satellite for an entirely Apple TV-based setup.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

New shows available to those who subscribe to the $79-per-year Amazon Prime service include Nickelodeon's "Avatar: The Last Airbender," "Dora the Explorer," iClarly," and "Yo Gabba Gabba;" Comedy Central's "Chappelle's Show," "The Sarah Silverman Program," and "Strangers with Candy;" MTV's "The Real World," and "Jersey Shore;" and TV Land's "Hot in Cleveland."

They would have to pay me to watch this crap