Worker abuse petitions to be delivered Thursday at Apple's Grand Central store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 160
    Welcome to the "agenda" of the liberal/progressive/OWS crowd. If these groups ever takeover - I can hardly wait for the anarchy or Big Brother) society they will produce.
  • Reply 22 of 160
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaeth View Post

What exactly do you call the giant mass suicide threat a few months ago? Can you imagine a bunch of office workers negotiating with suicide?

A problem for Microsoft at the X-Box factory?
  • Reply 23 of 160
    ortort Posts: 39member
    Apple needs to be sent a message.

If they continue to manufacture their wares in China, the next thing you know, EVERY electronics manufacturer will follow and EVERYTHING we buy will be made in China.

I can't imagine living in a world like that.
  • Reply 24 of 160
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:

What exactly do you call the giant mass suicide threat a few months ago? Can you imagine a bunch of office workers negotiating with suicide?

Interesting comment.

The actual suicides in the Foxconn factory were addressed a long time ago. Suicides within Foxconn were much lower than the suicide rate in China as a whole. So it doesn't support your claim.

As for the giant mass suicide threat? That was among employees at the factor making the xBox 360. So why is it appropriate to attack Apple for something that happened at a factory making Microsoft products?

Thanks for proving that most of the people complaining about Apple have not bothered to learn anything about the facts of the situation.
  • Reply 25 of 160
    This discussion is embarrasing. Even if Apple is doing not so bad, it always can do better. And as one of the world's biggest companies (in shareholders value) it should. Especially with all that money in the bank. And everyone loving Apple should be supporting initiatives like this.
  • Reply 26 of 160
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I call that a bunch of whiny fools making dumb demands. If those morons and pathetic people who were behind that threat felt that their jobs or working conditions are so bad, then quit! Problem solved.

Another point is how the workers now know they can get the West's attention by threatening mass suicide. After the first suicide attempt it became clear this is the way to bring attention to your demands. Every threat after that was political. The Chinese workers are not dumb. They know how to pull the strings of the media and activists.
  • Reply 27 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, I didn't think so either. So what's the word for this situation? It's really close to hypocrisy...

It's called picking your battles. The guy doesn't seem to have all his facts straight (close to no pay?) but singling out one company like this doesn't mean he thinks it's okay that other companies do it, too, or (if he WERE actually a hypocrite) that he's doing the same thing himself.

He's an Apple customer. He cares how Apple does business more than other companies. There's nothing wrong with trying to do SOME good. Nobody in this modern world can live a completely spotless existence. To say that we should do absolutely nothing about the injustices we see in it is terrible attitude.

This guy doesn't seems kind of naive, and I don't think he's going to do much good (possibly none if he can't be bothered to get his facts straight). But he's not a hypocrite.
  • Reply 28 of 160
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ort View Post

Apple needs to be sent a message.

If they continue to manufacture their wares in China, the next thing you know, EVERY electronics manufacturer will follow and EVERYTHING we buy will be made in China.

I can't imagine living in a world like that.

You already are. Including your clothes etc
  • Reply 29 of 160
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmrtzzz View Post

This discussion is embarrasing. Even if Apple is doing not so bad, it always can do better. And as one of the world's biggest companies (in shareholders value) it should. Especially with all that money in the bank. And everyone loving Apple should be supporting initiatives like this.

I agree Apple should do better, going well above the countries standard, but that's because I think it will benefit their bottom line, just like it does with their "green" initiatives.
  • Reply 30 of 160
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

You mean the protest of the Xbox workers that greatly outnumbered the suicide count for several years and got perhaps 1 day of press before it was forgotten
  • Reply 31 of 160
    kaethkaeth Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I call that a bunch of whiny fools making dumb demands. If those morons and pathetic people who were behind that threat felt that their jobs or working conditions are so bad, then quit! Problem solved.

In the thread about that mass suicide threat a while ago, I said that I would have called their bluff if I were in charge. Let them go ahead with their ridiculous mass suicide. If their lives are so worthless that they would think about suicide over a job, then the human race does not need such weak genes in the pool. As I stated, nobody is forcing them to work there. So, what does somebody do when they are in a job that they don't like? They quit, they don't off themselves like some psycho and weak human being.

...wow. clearly we have different opinions about the value of human life.
  • Reply 32 of 160
    iaeeniaeen Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah, I didn't think so either. So what's the word for this situation? It's really close to hypocrisy...

I think we are talking about a double standard. I'm not sure what you would name a person who holds a double standard though...
  • Reply 33 of 160
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Another point is how the workers now know they can get the West's attention by threatening mass suicide. After the first suicide attempt it became clear this is the way to bring attention to your demands. Every threat after that was political. The Chinese workers are not dumb. They know how to pull the strings of the media and activists.

True, it's all political theatre and a pathetic attempt at media manipulation.

There's 1,338,299,500 people in China. If a few of them want to kill themselves, then go right ahead.
  • Reply 34 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

A problem for Microsoft at the X-Box factory?

I would genuinely like to know why the vibe here seems to be that because other people do it, its acceptable? I assume your response is going to be something like...because no one is complaining about the other companies, but thats just faulty reasoning. Two wrongs, or 100 wrongs, don't make a right...
  • Reply 35 of 160
    And you just wait and see. If Apple does indeed move some manfacturing out of China the very same people signing the petition will then be clamoring for the Chinese workers who lose their jobs to be compensated by Apple too. You can't win with this crowd. You can never do enough.
  • Reply 36 of 160
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

...wow. clearly we have different opinions about the value of human life.

I suppose so. But clearly, the people threatening mass suicide are the ones who don't value their own lives. I happen to value my own life a lot.
  • Reply 37 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iaeen View Post

I think we are talking about a double standard. I'm not sure what you would name a person who holds a double standard though...

Yes, that's it exactly. Thanks!

Well, let's come up with one. Doublist, perhaps?
  • Reply 38 of 160
    FFS.

Most of the people that are on these crusades to save the poor Chinese workers, or the yellow-bellied tit-sucking moth fly, or w/e could serve the world better by focusing their energy a little closer to home. Like on personal hygiene or, I don't know, a job.

So tired of these self-righteous hypocritical bleeding-heart whiner-babies pointing the finger at anyone but themselves.

PS. I totally support saving the yellow-bellied tit-sucking moth fly.
  • Reply 39 of 160
    Quote:

I would genuinely like to know why the vibe here seems to be that because other people do it, its acceptable? I assume your response is going to be something like...because no one is complaining about the other companies, but thats just faulty reasoning. Two wrongs, or 100 wrongs, don't make a right...

So why aren't people complaing about the other companies?
  • Reply 40 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Interesting comment.

The actual suicides in the Foxconn factory were addressed a long time ago. Suicides within Foxconn were much lower than the suicide rate in China as a whole. So it doesn't support your claim.

As for the giant mass suicide threat? That was among employees at the factor making the xBox 360. So why is it appropriate to attack Apple for something that happened at a factory making Microsoft products?

Thanks for proving that most of the people complaining about Apple have not bothered to learn anything about the facts of the situation.

Without getting into a ridiculously long discussion about the state of the chinese workforce and the laws that govern it...I think its generally accepted that the Foxconn factory has some pretty shady a$$ practices, at least by western standards, and western companies should be holding themselves to a higher standard.