App developers forced to submit Retina Display screenshots

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    So what exactly does this mean for the iphone5? The rumor is a 4+ inch display and I would assume it would be higher resolution than 960x640 in order to keep the retina claim. Or does Apple just plan to keep the same resolution?

I'm really hoping for a larger iPhone5 screen. Ideally 4.3 inches and 1280 x whatever resolution. In fact I'm seriously considering returning the 4s I just bought and waiting out the four months for the 5. I almost switched to Android because I wanted a bigger screen.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ApplePi View Post

So what exactly does this mean for the iphone5?

Not 5, and it means absolutely nothing.

Quote:

The rumor is a 4+ inch display

No, it isn't. I've only ever seen 3.7", and frankly it shouldn't change at all. A screen greater than 4" is insane for a phone.

Quote:

and I would assume it would be higher resolution than 960x640 in order to keep the retina claim. Or does Apple just plan to keep the same resolution?

The latter. It works up to a point, and there's no sense in doing the exact same thing they're just now getting over for the same of a few more pixels for no reason.

Quote:

I almost switched to Android because I wanted a bigger screen.

If that's all you care about, please do. I don't really know what else to say. Seriously, if the size of the screen is the only thing you see different about the software and the hardware that accompanies it, your needs won't be served with an Apple product.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Isn't it logical to ask developers to submit hi-res images? Am puzzled as to how AppleInsider staff made it a news article in the first place.

And 'forced'? Duh.
  • Reply 24 of 38
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, it isn't. I've only ever seen 3.7", and frankly it shouldn't change at all. A screen greater than 4" is insane for a phone.

If that's all you care about, please do. I don't really know what else to say. Seriously, if the size of the screen is the only thing you see different about the software and the hardware that accompanies it, your needs won't be served with an Apple product.

What do you mean you've only ever seen 3.7"? All the rumors everywhere report 4 inches or bigger. Just run a search for iphone 5. It needs to be 4+ inches to compete in todays smart phone market. Once you get used to a bigger screen it's not an issue anymore.

I have a couple friends with a galaxy nexus (4.5") and one with a galaxy sII(4.3"). They make the iphone look like old tech. Such beautiful screens on those devices. It had me seriosuly questioning whether to stick with Apple. But the rest of the iphone ability and my already invested interest in iOS kept me around. Still, I feel like I made a bad move getting the 4s instead of keeping my 3Gs and waiting for a 5. I know the 5 is going to rock. It's part of that tick tock strategy Apple is on.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:

What do you mean you've only ever seen 3.7"? All the rumors everywhere report 4 inches or bigger.

http://www.gsmarena.com/iphone_5_37i...-news-3082.php

http://www.macstories.net/news/iphon...hinner-design/

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/04/...od-style-body/

http://www.voiceable.org/iphone-5-display-screen.html

http://www.guidingtech.com/mobiles/i...-inch-display/

Quote:

It needs to be 4+ inches to compete in todays smart phone market.

Okay, you ARE just making stuff up. Good; I was worried.

Quote:

They make the iphone look like old tech.

Keeps getting better.

Quote:

But the rest of the iphone ability and my already invested interest in iOS kept me around.

Ah, see? There's the light.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TalkingNewMedia View Post

submitted my iPhone app back in April of last year and when it came time to submit screenshots these were the specs listed.

I believe those may have been recommended specs before but are now mandatory.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

It needs to be 4+ inches to compete in todays smart phone market.

Can you explain how the first, second and third best selling smartphone models are then competing today?
  • Reply 28 of 38
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Can you explain how the first, second and third best selling smartphone models are then competing today?

They AREN'T competing !!! There is nothing to compete against.

Tom
  • Reply 29 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icoco3 View Post

They AREN'T competing !!! There is nothing to compete against.

Touché!
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Quote:

Look at the date on all those sites you linked to. April-September 2011. I'm reading rumors from right now, January-February 2012

And they all say iPhone 5, too.

Quote:

You may not LIKE it. But that's the future.

No. I'm not buying a larger iPhone.

Quote:

That's what most people want from a new iphone.

Certainly explains why a two and a half year old phone with a 3.5" display is outselling every single faster phone with a larger display out there. :roll eyes:

A 9to5 poll means absolutely nothing. 9to5 readers are... well, we have rules here, so I can't say.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    I'm sure Apple will continue to sell the 4S for a couple years. It is a very nice phone, no doubt about that. Because like you, not everyone wants a bigger screen, but most people seem to want that, including myself.

I've been an Apple fan for a long time. I love Apple products. But I have to give kudos where they are deserved and I think Samsung has hit the ball out f the park with their larger super AMOLED displays. Love to see it come to the iPhone, because overall Android is not nearly as polished or easy to use as iOS.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Quote:

...most people seem to want that, including myself.

Which is why, again, the 3.5" 2.5 year old 3GS sells better than ANY of those larger screened phones. You're right.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Which is why, again, the 3.5" 2.5 year old 3GS sells better than ANY of those larger screened phones. You're right.

No you're disregarding the fact that it's an iphone. Between a 3.5 inch iphone and a 4.5 inch android I also chose the iphone because it's an iphone. Given a choice, a bigger iphone would be preferred. But we haven't gotten that choice yet.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Quote:

No you're disregarding the fact that it's an iphone. Between a 3.5 inch iphone and a 4.5 inch android I also chose the iphone because it's an iphone. Given a choice, a bigger iphone would be preferred. But we haven't gotten that choice yet.

You just discredited your original comment that "It needs to be 4+ inches to compete in todays smart phone market" as you clearly have shown that there are other merits besides an every increase display size that sells smartphones.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Quote:

You just discredited your original comment that "It needs to be 4+ inches to compete in todays smart phone market" as you clearly have shown that there are other merits besides an every increase display size that sells smartphones.

Bigger is not always better, it's how you use it
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Quote:

Perhaps I did. But that doesn't change the fact it's the most desired feature request of a new iPhone. Why are you guys fighting me on this. It seems to be the direction Apple is going in anyway.

I should be used to this after all these years. Apple fans always make excuses for why Apple is lagging behind until the company catches up. Then it becomes totally obvious to all of you that they needed to catch up.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:

Perhaps I did. But that doesn't change the fact it's the most desired feature request of a new iPhone.

Sure, but that doesn't mean it needs that to compete. Just look at the iPod and iPad: "Apple needs to add an FM radio to compete," "the iPad is DOA without a real OS."

Quote:

Why are you guys fighting me on this. It seems to be the direction Apple is going in anyway[

I should be used to this after all these years. Apple fans always make excuses for why Apple is lagging behind until the company catches up. Then it becomes totally obvious to all of you that they needed to catch up.

Your original statement was either incorrect or simply poorly worded. The reader can make so many leaps in gauging your intent so if your point isn't coming across it's up to you to make your point more clearly not to resort to blaming the reader.

Now I'm all for a 4" iPhone. That is the about the maximum size that will work with a 3:2 aspect ratio... and only if they can reduce the size bezel thickness and back thickness to allow for the about same distance with a thumb sweep while holding in one hand. In fact, I think the platform has matured to a point that a 3.5" and 4" could live side-by-side. I also think LTE chips might only work in the larger casing for 2012 based on what we've seen from other vendors adding LTE to their phones. But all of that are opinions and wishes, not de facto statement about how an obviously successful product won't be able to compete.