Updated UI resources in OS X 10.7.3 may hint at preparations for Mac Retina Displays

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It's not just the UI resources that give it away. Anyone can put their Mac in HiDPI and see for themselves: it works perfectly now, whereas previously it was glitchy, with toolbars looking bad and many other small issues.

I would be over the moon if the next iMac had HiDPI, but I suspect it will just be the laptops for now.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) They technologies are different but I think it's safe to say they are essentially the same thing.2) MS has been far ahead of Apple in this area for a long time when they released the Windows Presentation Foundation. While not truly RI it did allow for scaling of elements much better than Apple who tentatively promised us RI back in Tiger before removing it from the website, and then basically left it as an unfinished work that you could enable with a PLIST switch.

3) I now know your real name.

First off, for all the users who are calling it pixel doubling, its actually pixel quadrupling. The space currently occupied by one pixel will now be taken up by four.

As far Windows having scaling that's true only the implementation by developers sucks. It has never been done well because it's a pain in the ass. It's why you haven't seen Apple release it even though it's been there since Tiger. They realized the nightmare in trying to get it done right by ALL applications.

Apples main goal is to make beautifully readable text like on the iPhone. They can't enable the scaling they put in Tiger because everything else will get messed up. So they waited until the technology caught up. Now they can do exactly what they did when the iPhone 4 came out. They quadrupled the iPhone 3GS screen resolution. Now the OS can take care of scaling the fonts which will still take up the same physical size on the screen as before. It will also do the same to graphics. Applications that are retina display aware will create new high resolution icons and the OS will use them instead.

Now applications will look exactly as they do today only with retina display fonts if they are NOT retina display aware yet. For applications that are retina display ready they will have beautiful fonts and graphics.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mretondo View Post

First off, for all the users who are calling it pixel doubling, its actually pixel quadrupling. The space currently occupied by one pixel will now be taken up by four.

[...]

Now they can do exactly what they did when the iPhone 4 came out. They quadrupled the iPhone 3GS screen resolution.

It's only a doubling of the resolution but a quadrupling of the pixels. It's easy to make that mistake.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by l008com View Post

If they're going to do retina displays and/or resolution-independence, why aren't they replacing these raster GUI elements with vector GUI elements. What a waste of space to have massive png and tif images all over the place when a single tiny eps will do the same job, much better, and much smaller.

OS X does have some vector icons. If you want to see, browse to the /System folder in Finder, and type .pdf in to the search box, and make sure "System" is selected in the Search: bar (they store vector icons in PDF files).
  • Reply 25 of 31
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mretondo View Post

Its quadruple the total resolution, but a 2x scaling in both dimensions, height and width. People are getting that confused a lot, icons will have double the width but quadruple the total pixels for example. So depending on what your talking about, "quadruple resolution" would be correct or "double dimensional scaling" would be, not double resolution, as you said.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tipoo View Post

Its quadruple the total resolution, but a 2x scaling in both dimensions, height and width. People are getting that confused a lot, icons will have double the width but quadruple the total pixels for example. So depending on what your talking about, "quadruple resolution" would be correct or "double dimensional scaling" would be, not double resolution, as you said.

But display resolution is defined by measuring two dimensions so doubling the resolution (e.g.: 768x1024 => 1536x2048) is correct. It's only what talking about the 1 dimensional pixel that we can talk about quadrupling.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    I wondered what the whole bent finger thing was about...

Until I saw this, and it all made sense:

Is it maybe about multitouch, showing how many fingers it takes to complete an action?

And having all the little gloves look as similar as possible is... good, right? Apart from the slight... flaccidity of it, I'm liking the modern look compared to the "old pointer" files linked above.

As for the increasing screen resolution, sounds great.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Will they release a non glossy display again? Ever since they EOL'D the Cinema Display I am hoping my screen won't break. For that reason I got Apple Care, but what if it breaks down? I cannot imagine Apple having a large stock of spares...
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Will they release a non glossy display again? Ever since they EOL'D the Cinema Display I am hoping my screen won't break. For that reason I got Apple Care, but what if it breaks down? I cannot imagine Apple having a large stock of spares...

They still sell the 30", so they'd swap you out with one of those.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

There are other vendors with DP/mDP matte displays that are nice. Getting one with TB and all the ports in the back is likely tough, but I'm thinking TB will take off well enough to make that a non-issue soon enough.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But that's only refurbished, not new. Whilst Dell still sells the 30" which has the same panel.