Apple now worth more than Google and Microsoft combined [u]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by focher View Post

I be luvin me my's Apple stock. I moved my previous employer 401k over to a Rollover IRA last year, then promptly bought all AAPL with it. I'm long on Apple.

You are pursuing a risky strategy.
  • Reply 42 of 190
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Apple and Apple shareholders are only getting what has been due from Wall Street over the last couple of years. What I mean is that Apple is finally being recognized as a very successful company that has changed both the computer and cellphone industry immensely and has provided many jobs whether locally or abroad. For Wall Street to ignore Apple the way it has just seems criminal. Over this past quarter, I'm more than satisfied over Apple's share price boost and I have no reason to call for a dividend or buyback. I'm content with the slow and steady climb of the stock over the past year and hope it continues for the rest of the year. Apple is certainly the best stock I've ever owned or could ever hope to own. Thanks, Apple. Put the screws to Wall Street and make them take notice.

The Apple Effect begins to be noticed and taken seriously.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why did the stock go up $17 so far today?! What happened last night to do this? It's a normal day; it's supposed to go up by $1 at most and down by $4-10 like the insane ramblers believe.

Not that I know anything, but Groupon's numbers came in and were pronounced "disappointing."

Contrasted with Apple's grounding in real hardware and massive competence in global sourcing, manufacturing and marketing, maybe the idea is beginning to sink in that we are witnessing the birth of a new kind of industry, and it's not a vaporous Internet scam or a software-only monopoly, or a product based on algorithms and ads.

I heard Brian Wesbury, the economist ("It's Not as Bad as You Think"), on Tom Ashbrook's "On Point" (WBUR/NPR) saying with no hesitation in his voice that we are seeing a new tech economic front developing around smartphones and tablets.

Even the PC-heads in finance may be waking up to this revolution that has been happening in front of them since -- when? 2007?
  • Reply 43 of 190
    Quote:

I be luvin me my's Apple stock. I moved my previous employer 401k over to a Rollover IRA last year, then promptly bought all AAPL with it. I'm long on Apple.

100%? Put in a stop-loss order, please. No tree grows to the sky.
  • Reply 44 of 190
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OriginalG View Post

Alternatively, the question that should be asked is "will Apple earn more than MS and Google combined in a future quarter?"

That already happened.

Last reporting period, Google had revenues of $10.584B and Microsoft had revenues of $17.37B. Apple had revenues of $42+ billion. Apple doesn't even see those guys in its rear view mirror.

Google revenue

Microsoft revenue
  • Reply 45 of 190
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

I'm not sure how many said "immediately".

Usually these things take a while. It is like redirecting a battleship. Analysts know that.

I'm rarely adamant in disagreeing but most [trolls and Apple haters] said immediately. They predicted [hoped] instant shock and horror would occur. The truth is the initial illness did cause some shock and devaluation but thanks to excellent planning and Apple's top team it was already factored into the valuation by the time of sad the event. So there is no analogy to battleships or otherwise that are remotely relevant.
  • Reply 46 of 190
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Look like someone somewhere knew iPhone number in China (from Chinese carriers perhaps).
  • Reply 47 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Great news for some of the very patient Apple investors here who've been waiting for significant stock movement the past few months.

I think some of you guys should send out gift cards to the rest of us poor folk who don't have Apple in our portfolios. You know, just to rub it it.

A simple VISA gift card will work fine for me. No need for anything special.

Months? Try many, many years

But ... it's not too late, go buy a few hundred now and sit back and watch it reach 650 in a year or so.
  • Reply 48 of 190
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    That must really cheese Eric Schmuck.
  • Reply 49 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I'm rarely adamant in disagreeing but most said immediately. They predicted instant shock and horror would occur. The truth is the initial illness did cause some shock and devaluation but thanks to excellent planning and Apple's top team it was already factored into the valuation by the time of sad event. So there is no analogy to battleships or otherwise that are remotely relevant.

OK. Maybe you are correct.

But ISTM that a company like Apple has momentum. It also has an effective leadership team, albeit crippled by Steve's demise. I don't see anything happening quickly, but that said, I'm amazed at the rate of growth they have displayed. For such a big company, it is truly amazing.
  • Reply 50 of 190
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Tell me about it I made 10000$ with just 2000$ in one day with options. The stock has been rising so fast this week I already did 4 options roll up, took 20k profit out and I am still in play in case it keeps going.

insane. and the thing is its still way way undervalue compare to fundamentals.

I think we are having a feb 23rd stockholder meeting rally for dividends.

or we could be in a ipad 3 annoucement rally, like it always does.

or this could just be a P/E compression correction from 12 to 15.

or Apple TV noise

or all of the above
  • Reply 51 of 190
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:

But ISTM that a company like Apple has momentum. It also has an effective leadership team, albeit crippled by Steve's demise. I don't see anything happening quickly, but that said, I'm amazed at the rate of growth they have displayed. For such a big company, it is truly amazing.

Because they are not crippled by Steve's demise.

Edit: Your "ISTM" there. ConradJoe used to be fond of those initialisms. Under your present identity, maybe you should quit using them. Besides, I don't know what the hell it means, and I refuse to look it up.
  • Reply 52 of 190
    Quote:

You are pursuing a risky strategy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldMacGuy View Post

100%? Put in a stop-loss order, please. No tree grows to the sky.

Who said that's my only investment fund? Besides, I'm so far ahead that only the Mayan prediction for the end of the world could result in a cataclysm sufficient enough to set me back.

If someone would like to propose a better place to put this money right now than AAPL, I'm all ears.
  • Reply 53 of 190
    Quote:

I don't think they are crippled by Steve's passing although I truly hope he passed on to them a ton of innovative ideas for the future (and I bet he did). But that's one heck of a team he left running Apple.

Regarding growth, I really believe "we ain't seen nothing yet!"
  • Reply 54 of 190
    Market cap is misleading. Look at Enterprise Value which strips out excess cash and adds back debt outstanding. This is the real price a company's profit-generating assets are worth to the market. Apple's EV (as of 12:40 EST) is $364.8B vs. $377.6B for XOM and $211.5B for MSFT.
  • Reply 55 of 190
    Quote:

Who said that's my only investment fund? Besides, I'm so far ahead that only the Mayan prediction for the end of the world could result in a cataclysm sufficient enough to set me back.

If someone would like to propose a better place to put this money right now than AAPL, I'm all ears.

Well said. My wife, on my suggestion, moved about half of hers to AAPL, her broker screamed blue murder and made her sign a paper to say she acknowledged he disagreed. His investments are still down several years later and last summer she moved half of those. He didn't say as much that time. His expert investments which are mostly in 'safe' funds are still down. Some times you have to take a risk but after tracking Apple closely for over thirty years I think it wasn't much of a risk this last decade and I am still confident, although there will be ups and downs, the slope continues upward.
  • Reply 56 of 190
    Quote:

omg way to much risk. Activate your account for level 1 option trading, invest 80% of the portfolio in dividends stock from 5 different sectors, then play Apple with options with only 20% of the capital.

You could just buy deep in the money JAN 2013 options it will be like stocks but you will have leverage and own the same amount of stocks you currently have. Always stay about 50$ in the money, if the stock rise by more than 10$, sell the options and buy another set 50$ in the money. This is called rolling up.
  • Reply 57 of 190
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    The title is wrong.

Apple has been worth more than Google and Microsoft combined for years. It's just that the market finally recognizes that fact.
  • Reply 58 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

omg way to much risk. Activate your account for level 1 option trading, invest 80% of the portfolio in dividends stock from 5 different sectors, then play Apple with options with only 20% of the capital.

You could just buy deep in the money JAN 2013 options it will be like stocks but you will have leverage and own the same amount of stocks you currently have. Always stay about 50$ in the money, if the stock rise by more than 10$, sell the options and buy another set 50$ in the money. This is called rolling up.

So (for simple math) if you started two years ago with $1,000 using your plan and he was 100% in APPL over the same period what would the side by side valuation be of the two accounts be today?
  • Reply 59 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Thanks, but that investment advice is worth exactly the amount I paid for it. You don't have sufficient information about my overall investment portfolio to give such advice and seem to be stuck on a single fund that is only invested in a single security.

I'm way ahead of virtually every other investment strategy out there, and I'm WAY ahead of the one you just proposed.
  • Reply 60 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

So (for simple math) if you started two years ago with $1,000 using your plan and he was 100% in APPL over the same period what would the side by side valuation be of the two accounts be today?

1 option lot is the same has owning 100 shares of the stock. The problem with option is premium and the greeks. If you dont understand them you could get own and lose a ton of money. But if you buy 1 year from expiration options (LEAPS), and go 10% of the stock price in the money, you will reduce the effect of the premiums and wont have to bother with them.

But its very important to do roll ups has the stock rise to take out profits. You take the profits and buy more dividend stock with them.

Note that stock price variation go both ways, if the stock drop, options prices will drop to a much greater % than stocks because of the leverage. You own large amount of stocks for a small price, so variation are amplified both ways.

imo anyone playing with options need to learn about them, especially when trading close to expiration options.

In youre example you could had turn that 1000$ to 200 000$ easy. Easy to say after the fact because we know the stock went from 200$ to almost 500$. But when you invest you never know what will happen, so the stress can get pretty high.

Options 101:

http://www.optionsplaybook.com/options-introduction/