Apple employee says upcoming iPad 3 to have "truly amazing" screen

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014

According to a source described as "an Apple employee," the next iPad will be released at an event in early March, with a faster processor and an improved, "truly amazing" display.

Apple's plans to release a third generation iPad within the next few weeks have been broadly anticipated, although the report, published by the New York Times, notes that its "unclear" if the next iPad will be named iPad 3.

It drew a parallel between the expectation of an "iPhone 5" last fall, resulting in some disappointment among observers when Apple named the latest product iPhone 4S instead. The "early grumbling" about its name and features set "did not stop the iPhone 4S from helping Apple post record holiday sales," the site observed.

Aside from a faster processor and a "truly amazing" screen, the report said that the next generation iPad being tested inside Apple is "essentially the same size and shape as iPad2."

Since the launch of iPad in 2010, Apple has sold over 55 million of the tablets, which resulted in Apple becoming the world's largest producer of computers by the end of 2011.

A variety of efforts to duplicate Apple's success with iPad have failed, ranging from Microsoft's decade long Tablet PC, its 2006 Origami / UMPC project lead by Samsung, its 2010 Windows 7 Slate PC it partnered with HP to launch, HP's own Palm webOS based tablet last year alongside RIM's PlayBook and Google's Android 3.0 Honeycomb disaster, as well as third party attempts to turn Android 2.x smartphones into tablet-like devices.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 84
    iPad 2S? S for 'screen'?
  • Reply 2 of 84
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joindup View Post

iPad 2S? S for 'screen'?

S for squashing any hope of competition getting a foothold.

Seriously, I think iPad 3 seems more likely with a new HiDPI display.
  • Reply 3 of 84
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member
    Maybe a larger display? I think the iPad 2 display is too small and I wouldn't mind something like a 12" display or a larger sized device, it sure would make the web browsing experience much better. Maybe something the size of a 13" - 15" MacBook Pro which would be much larger than the current model. The tiny screen of the iPad doesn't seem much better than my iPhone for web browsing, I still use my MacBooks and Desktops for web browsing anyways.
  • Reply 4 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WardC View Post

The tiny screen of the iPad doesn't seem much better than my iPhone for web browsing

It takes 8 iPhone displays to equal the display area of one iPad displays.
  • Reply 5 of 84
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That makes no sense, as I can fit my iPhone screen into my 13" MBP screen a little more than 8 times. Eh nevermind, you might be right. I don't have it in me to do the math right now.
  • Reply 6 of 84
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    "essentially the same size and shape as iPad2."

That means it's going to be a disappointment. Doesn't Apple get it. If it's a new year, it better be a new shape. Personally, I would like an apple-shaped iPad.

/s
  • Reply 7 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

According to a source described as "an Apple employee," the next iPad will be released at an event in early March, with a faster processor and an improved, "truly amazing" display. ...

I just hope that it has some muscle on the processing side and a bit more memory.

The current one pauses and stutters a bit too much for me, and not enough memory is the most likely culprit behind the horrible selection bug in Pages.

I'd rather have the same screen the iPad 2 has and those things than a fancy screen and not have those fixed.
  • Reply 8 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

That makes no sense, as I can fit my iPhone screen into my 13" MBP screen a little more than 8 times. Eh nevermind, you might be right. I don't have it in me to do the math right now.

You'd need a little over 14 iPhone displays to equal the display area of one 13" MBP display.
    3.5" 3:2(1.5) = 5.65"sq (2.9" x 1.9")

9.7" 4:3(1.33) = 45.19"sq (7.8"\tx 5.8")

13.3" 16:10(1.60) = 79.5"sq (11.3" x 7")
    PS: You want me to figure out my iPhones can fit inside a box of Total?
  • Reply 9 of 84
    rmb0037rmb0037 Posts: 142member
    While surfing on the iPhone 4 is a great experience, I really think a "retina display" iPad would absolutely rule. Comparing an iPhone 4 display to an iPad 2 display is quite astonishing. I actually prefer surfing on my iPhone because of the much more dense display, but a retina display iPad would actually make me want to switch my phone to a normal non-web based phone to knock my bill down $30. Just an idea...
  • Reply 10 of 84
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

The tiny screen of the iPad doesn't seem much better than my iPhone for web browsing, I still use my MacBooks and Desktops for web browsing anyways.

Comparing the iPhone screen to the iPad is like the difference in taking a swim in your bathtub VS swimming in an Olympic sized swimming pool.

As for a larger iPad, not gonna happen, don't hold your breath.
  • Reply 11 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't see what you're getting at.

If you are talking physical area it's more like 6.25 times and if you're talking resolution the iPhone is only slightly smaller than the current iPad AFAICS.
  • Reply 12 of 84
    Just give us an onboard USB port and expand the iOS USB and bluetooth API to allow more devices to work with it (like mouse for Remote Desktop connections, Gamepads for gaming, bluetooth api for data exchange for custom I/O apps, etc). That would make a lot of developers happy and users when the apps start rolling in taking advantage of the new APIs.
  • Reply 13 of 84
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member
    Quote:

Maybe a larger display? I think the iPad 2 display is too small and I wouldn't mind something like a 12" display or a larger sized device, it sure would make the web browsing experience much better. Maybe something the size of a 13" - 15" MacBook Pro which would be much larger than the current model. The tiny screen of the iPad doesn't seem much better than my iPhone for web browsing, I still use my MacBooks and Desktops for web browsing anyways.

Hmmm, for web browsing & reading, the screen size is absolutely OK by me, the issue is the actual resolution. Having both the iPhone 4s and iPad 2, the fact that the phone has almost the same resolution really makes the iPad lag in terms of extra usability for that extra size.

It's still easier to read on an iPad than the phone thanks to the size, but the rumored high res screen is going to be fantastic, giving 5x the pixel count of the phone (essentially the resolution that laser printers used to have), just in color @ 60fps. Nice.
  • Reply 14 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

"essentially the same size and shape as iPad2."

But that's gonna suck so bad! It's going to be just like iPhone 4S fiasco!

I already have an iPad 2 and the iPad 3 is going to look the same and be the same size as the iPad 2?

Forget about the faster CPU, GPU, improved camera, larger battery and super hi-res retina display, I am a shallow dickhead without any technological knowledge whatsoever and my devices must look different, otherwise I will just declare it to be a miniscule upgrade, and not worth getting.
  • Reply 15 of 84
    If the HP TouchPad's screen is even remotely similar to the iPad, a bump in the resolution is needed. I've been using my iPhone 4S more and more and recently I've been given a Galaxy Nexus as a work phone. After picking up my TouchPad again, 1024x768 on a ~10" screen looks very pixelated. I was wondering why text was so blurry for a while. My eyes are spoiled with high-res screens
  • Reply 16 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I don't see what you're getting at.

If you are talking physical area it's more like 6.25 times and if you're talking resolution the iPhone is only slightly smaller than the current iPad AFAICS.

45.19 ÷ 5.65 = 7.998. How did you get 6.25x?
  • Reply 17 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xStatiCa View Post

Just give us an onboard USB port

Not gonna happen. Are you one of the people who is still waiting on Blueray to come to Macs?
  • Reply 18 of 84
    1. Make that "former" Apple employee.

2. Color me "disappointed".

a. No RS-232C port. I have a dot-matrix printer.

b. No HDMi port. Want to connect to my TV for a larger screen.

c. No support for Flash. "delivers breakthrough Web experiences to over 99% of Internet users"

d. No new shape. How will people at Starbucks know that I using the 3 instead of the 2?
  • Reply 19 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xStatiCa View Post

Just give us an onboard USB port

It has one. Stop complaining. You will never see a USB-A port on an iPad. USB is dead.
  • Reply 20 of 84
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I have it from a pretty good source at my local greengrocers, which coincidentally just happens to sell apples, that the sun will rise tomorrow.

Faster processor? obvious

Better screen? fairly obvious

Same size and shape? obvious