Apple employee says upcoming iPad 3 to have "truly amazing" screen

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

It has one. Stop complaining. You will never see a USB-A port on an iPad. USB is dead.

I want a DE-9 port for my Mac Plus mouse, damned if I'm wasting money on a new mouse when the old one works fine.
  • Reply 22 of 84
    Quote:

It has one. Stop complaining. You will never see a USB-A port on an iPad. USB is dead.

I would be ok with that if all the bluetooth features were fully supported that the desktop can use. I would much rather see bluetooth accessories instead of plugging something into the iPad. We need more bluetooth accessories that all developers can take advantage of like mouse for remote desktop and gamepads for games.
  • Reply 23 of 84
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post

1. Make that "former" Apple employee.

2. Color me "disappointed".

a. No RS-232C port. I have a dot-matrix printer.

b. No HDMi port. Want to connect to my TV for a larger screen.

c. No support for Flash. "delivers breakthrough Web experiences to over 99% of Internet users"

d. No new shape. How will people at Starbucks know that I using the 3 instead of the 2?

I know, right? What about COM and parallel printing ports? I want to use it as a UNIX server for a serial WYSE60 terminal!
  • Reply 24 of 84
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

But that's gonna suck so bad! It's going to be just like iPhone 4S fiasco!

I already have an iPad 2 and the iPad 3 is going to look the same and be the same size as the iPad 2?

Forget about the faster CPU, GPU, improved camera, larger battery and super hi-res retina display, I am a shallow dickhead without any technological knowledge whatsoever and my devices must look different, otherwise I will just declare it to be a miniscule upgrade, and not worth getting.

Exactly. My TV at home is 50 inches, so why can't my iPad be?
  • Reply 25 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xStatiCa View Post

I would be ok with that if all the bluetooth features were fully supported that the desktop can use. I would much rather see bluetooth accessories instead of plugging something into the iPad. We need more bluetooth accessories that all developers can take advantage of like mouse for remote desktop and gamepads for games.

Bluetooth 4.0 in the iPad will be interesting to be sure. Particularly if Apple gives us some more Bluetooth APIs in iOS 6.
  • Reply 26 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Aside from a faster processor and a "truly amazing" screen, the report said that the next generation iPad being tested inside Apple is "essentially the same size and shape as iPad2."

First of all, that employee should be hunted down and fired.

As for the iPad HD:

Quad rez screen, natch.

Driven by an A6 Multi-Core procesor and

Maybe a PowerVR Series6 GPU?

The main camera will be the same 8 MP currently found on the iPhone, while the front facing one will be the best on the market. The cameras will need to be top-notch due to the high rez display.

Thunderbolt? Yes indeed.

LTE? Of Course. It is needed to power:

Siri II, better than ever, with some exclusive features.

Mapping will finally do away with Google. Apple's mapping investments will pay off with the best free mapping the world has ever seen. It will blow away anything/everything currently on the market, because it will use...

Augmented reality baked into the OS. Powered by Siri. Nobody will ever leave the house without taking their iPad, because the word will seem devoid of content without it.

Each of these is currently available and Apple is technologically able to give us each of this things. Right now. In the new iPad HD.
  • Reply 27 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

45.19 ÷ 5.65 = 7.998. How did you get 6.25x?

I got 6.25 by the very unscientific method of holding up my iPhone to my iPad and seeing that the screen is (roughly) 2.5 times wider and 2.5 time higher.

math is obviously not my strong point.
  • Reply 28 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

The main camera will be the same 8 MP currently found on the iPhone

No way. 5MP max on the back, 2048x1536 on the front.

Quote:

Thunderbolt? Yes indeed.

I don't buy it. Standard 30-pin USB port in the next iPad. No Thunderbolt pins.

This comes from a guy who wanted Thunderbolt pins in the iPhone 4S and the revamped iDevices last October. I just know it's too early to happen.

Quote:

LTE? Of Course. It is needed to power: Siri II, better than ever, with some exclusive features.

Come on, Conrad, we can't have "Siri II" when there's no "Siri I". It's a beta product. It'll remain a beta product until the next iPhone comes out, easy, and maybe longer than that.

Quote:

Augmented reality baked into the OS. Powered by Siri. Nobody will ever leave the house without taking their iPad, because the word will seem devoid of content without it.

The iPad 5 maybe. Not the next one.
  • Reply 29 of 84
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

First of all, that employee should be hunted down and fired.

As for the iPad HD:

Quad rez screen, natch.

Driven by an A6 Multi-Core procesor and

Maybe a PowerVR Series6 GPU?

The main camera will be the same 8 MP currently found on the iPhone, while the front facing one will be the best on the market. The cameras will need to be top-notch due to the high rez display.

Thunderbolt? Yes indeed.

LTE? Of Course. It is needed to power:

Siri II, better than ever, with some exclusive features.

Mapping will finally do away with Google. Apple's mapping investments will pay off with the best free mapping the world has ever seen. It will blow away anything/everything currently on the market, because it will use...

Each of these is currently available and Apple is technologically able to give us each of this things. Right now. In the new iPad HD.

I'll go along except for Thunderbolt.

I really hope you are right on the 3D maps.
  • Reply 30 of 84
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

I got 6.25 by the very unscientific method of holding up my iPhone to my iPad and seeing that the screen is (roughly) 2.5 times wider and 2.5 time higher.

You get the bezels and have to calculate the different aspect ratios. Much easier to just use a website to do the math for you.
  • Reply 31 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

You work at NASA don't you! (just kidding I love NASA)

p.s. I do math like that too
  • Reply 32 of 84
    I suspect the title should read soon to be ex Apple employee....
  • Reply 33 of 84
    Hmmm... iPad 3D?
  • Reply 34 of 84
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"essentially the same size and shape as iPad2."

Will that rule out the possibility of an 3:2 screen? I'm into photography and would love for the iPad to have the same AR as my DSLR has. Probably it won't, since Steve and Ive went over 20 models before settling on the current model.

It still doesn't make sense to me the iPhone display is 3:2 while the camera sensor is 4:3 though...and it's annoying as well when seeing the results of your composition afterwards.
  • Reply 35 of 84
    I doubt that a quad core chip is coming. And really, what does iOS need a quad core chip for? Unless you can multi-thread the active application you don't really need more than two cores. One core can handle the background processes, which are minimal in iOS and one can handle the current app. I predict a much faster, but still dual core processor.
  • Reply 36 of 84
    Sure hope they don't go the "add an S" route with iPad names?
  • Reply 37 of 84
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nunyabinez View Post

I doubt that a quad core chip is coming. And really, what does iOS need a quad core chip for? Unless you can multi-thread the active application you don't really need more than two cores. One core can handle the background processes, which are minimal in iOS and one can handle the current app. I predict a much faster, but still dual core processor.

If the quad-core chip allows for the processor to use less overall power than the dual-core Cortex-A9 by completing tasks faster then I say it makes sense.
  • Reply 38 of 84
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Quote:

Sure hope they don't go the "add an S" route with iPad names?

But it will create such lively sequence numbering discussions¡
  • Reply 39 of 84
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Finding out the it's not going to be called 'iPad 3' is going to be nowhere near as painful as discovering it's actually called 'iTV'.

"I finally cracked it", said Steve. "We cross-breed little pot-belly pigs with an iPad, and just get them to place it five inches in front of their faces. If THAT doesn't look like a HDTV to you, you're not holding it right.".

iTV - The TV that delivers your content anytime, anywhere.

It's a thousand television series in your (big-ass) pocket.
  • Reply 40 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If the quad-core chip allows for the processor to use less overall power than the dual-core Cortex-A9 by completing tasks faster then I say it makes sense.

True, but the addition of more cores assumes that software can distribute tasks across the cores. Just like the difference in i7 and i5 processors. If the application is not multi-threaded, then there is no difference. So, my assumption is that iOS wasn't designed for this kind of multi-threaded environment. And certainly no current apps can take advantage. Now maybe I am wrong about the way iOS is written, but it would seem to me that you would need an iOS update to come with a processor core change in order to take advantage, but as I said, I could be wrong.