Samsung Galaxy 10.1N cleared for sale in Germany

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

One week after denying Apple an injunction against the Galaxy Tab 10.1N, a German court on Thursday officially cleared the reworked Samsung tablet for sale after the original was banned for copying the "look and feel" of the iPad.

The legal battle is over for the Galaxy Tab 10.1N in Germany as the state court in Dusseldorf handed down a ruling that states there are "clear differences" between the Samsung tablet and Apple's iPad, reports Reuters.

Apple initially won a permanent sales ban against the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in September, 2011, which forced Samsung to create the 10.1N, a device meant to bypass the injunction by changing certain aesthetic features shared with the iPad.

The "new" tablet was released in November and effectively skirts the injunction, which was upheld in January.

Samsung's Android-based tablet is seen as a direct competitor to the ubiquitous iPad, and today's German win adds to Apple's recent court losses to ban the device in the U.S., the Netherlands and Australia.

The two companies are ensnarled in a worldwide patent dispute that includes suits in the U.S., Australia, Japan, Korea and Europe after the Cupertino, Calif., company first attacked in April, alleging that a number of Samsung's mobile phones and tablets infringed on intellectual property rights.

Samsung has filed counter-suits against Apple in Germany regarding cellular technology patents, though the Galaxy maker has already lost two cases with a third scheduled for decision in March.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
  • Reply 2 of 39
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Ha Ha... Just in time for the iPad 3 and price reduction on the iPad 2

Good luck with that Samsumg. Perhaps a 10.2 screen might sell better this time?
  • Reply 3 of 39
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So why don't Apple go after them for a direct copy of an iPad 1?
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Poor bar-stewards, there can only be so many Apple haters in the World. It is a fairly small market share to fight over for all the clones.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Maybe that is their strategy. If they sued copycats for all device copies then the infringers might just say "if we're going to get sued we might as well copy the most recent offerings" but if they let the old looking tech slide they could keep them all on 1 to 2 your old looking tech.

(Disclaimer: I'm just making shit up at this point. I have no sodding idea. )
  • Reply 6 of 39
    Quote:

Maybe that is their strategy. If they sued copycats for all device copies then the infringers might just say "if we're going to get sued we might as well copy the most recent offerings" but if they let the old looking tech slide they could keep them all on 1 to 2 your old looking tech.

(Disclaimer: I'm just making shit up at this point. I have no sodding idea. )

I was always assumed that was your normal MO!
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Quote:

Oh, good! Someone else that sees the resemblance to the original iPad.

You know. You KNOW they did that on purpose. You KNOW they said, "Okay, we can't copy this iPad. Let's copy THIS iPad!"
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, good! Someone else that sees the resemblance to the original iPad.

You know. You KNOW they did that on purpose. You KNOW they said, "Okay, we can't copy this iPad. Let's copy THIS iPad!"

If anything they tried even harder, it's a dead ringer.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Quote:

I was always assumed that was your normal MO!

just kidding

I do try to have an example, some facts, or even some rhyme or reason for my speculation but every now and then I have absolutely nothing to base it on.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    Quote:

I do try to have an example, some facts, or even some rhyme or reason for my speculation but every now and then I have absolutely nothing to base it on.

Ever thought about entering politics?
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Quote:

...it's a dead ringer.

It's also dead on arrival.

Quote:

Ever thought about entering politics?

I am keen about a permanent moon colony.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:

I am keen about a permanent moon colony.

Me too, and one on Mars. But only inhabited by those that believe Armstrong landed on the moon and they are older than 6k years I hope

Talking of which I am off to build in Second Life ... Night all
  • Reply 13 of 39
    One problem solved. The next problem: how to sell this thrash.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    aizmovaizmov Posts: 989member
    Ugly and a year late.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    jack99jack99 Posts: 157member
    Quote:

Poor bar-stewards, there can only be so many Apple haters in the World. It is a fairly small market share to fight over for all the clones.

I dunno, man. There is no doubt Apple is doing quite well for itself, but there's a good reason Apple wasted hundreds of millions of dollars on expensive lawyers for this ban. And it's not just to empty those firms' ash trays.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Right, but remember that legal precedents have long-term consequences. Apple's virtually barred from bringing similar look and feel suits on tablets and smartphones in Germany. Unless, of course, it doesn't mind paying lawyers more money just to file a complaint only to have it tossed out by a judge. Judges into other jurisdictions are probably going to be paying attention to this one if Apple raises similar complaints elsewhere.

I'd hate to be a debbie downer. But the psychological advantage Apple was really pushing for back in 2011 with legal victories is pretty much gone. Apple would've been better off leaving this alone and moving along.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jack99 View Post

I'd hate to be a debbie downer. But the psychological advantage Apple was really pushing for back in 2011 with legal victories is pretty much gone. Apple would've been better off leaving this alone and moving along.

But that would not have been nearly so thermonuclear.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

But that would not have been nearly so thermonuclear.

Not sure what to say that one. It did make for some interesting news reads.

I just hope Apple goes back to what it does best. Bringing out cool products to the market. It's a waste of time and money for Apple to hire lawyers only to find that the other side wants to cross-examine Apple's own experts and engineers who could be spending time working developing tomorrow's products.

Leave the patent wringing to trolls like Rambus; companies like Rambus offer absolutely nothing of value to the world of technology. All they do is slow down innovation and bring businesses in Silicon Valley to ruin.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jack99 View Post

Not sure what to say that one. It did make for some interesting news reads.

I just hope Apple goes back to what it does best. Bringing out cool products to the market. It's a waste of time and money for Apple to hire lawyers only to find that the other side wants to cross-examine Apple's own experts and engineers who could be spending time working developing tomorrow's products.

Leave the patent wringing to trolls like Rambus; companies like Rambus offer absolutely nothing of value to the world of technology. All they do is slow down innovation and bring businesses in Silicon Valley to ruin.

Do you own any intellectual property?
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Do you own any intellectual property?

Yes, in your soul.