Apple said to be in 'crunch mode' to ready 'iPad 3' apps for on-stage demos, ads

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

As evidence continues to point toward an early March launch for the next-generation iPad, a new report claims that Apple is now in "crunch mode" as it prepares for on-stage demonstrations and television commercials highlighting apps for the device.

Sources intimated to The Next Web that the Cupertino, Calif., company's selection process is proceeding at an "increased rate." Of course, it is to be expected that Apple would be under more pressure as the event approaches, but the report does triangulate other recent reports that have pegged a Retina Display-equipped third-generation iPad for an early March launch.

Apple has traditionally showcased some of its own apps, such as GarageBand and iMovie, as well as exemplary third-party apps at its media events for new iOS devices. According to the report, the company is placing an emphasis on "graphics-oriented applications with high-definition assets" to spotlight the rumored Retina Display on the device.

The iPad maker is also reportedly forwarding some apps to its advertising partner TWBA/Chiat/Day as the agency readies commercials for the third-generation tablet. Author Matthew Panzarino noted that the process is entering its "final phase" and is on a tight deadline for the presentation and subsequent television broadcast.

Speculation surrounding the so-called "iPad 3" has reached a fever pitch in recent days as more specific details appear to have emerged. AllThingsD reported on Thursday that the special event for the next-gen tablet will take place during the first week in March. The publication also affirmed that the tablet will have a resolution of 2,048 by 1,536 pixels, a "much faster" processor and improved graphics performance. Also on Thursday, The New York Times cited an Apple employee as saying the new iPad will have a "truly amazing" screen.

In addition, several photos purportedly of next-generation iPad components have surfaced this week. Images of an alleged back panel for the device appeared to show "very different" mounts for the logic board and a larger battery, as well as a "different" camera and LCD display. Meanwhile, a picture that may have been of the outside of a back panel suggested that Apple does not plan to make any major design changes to the form factor of the device. Finally, a photo has emerged of a high-resolution LCD panel manufactured by Sharp that "seems to be" bound for the next iPad.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    Breaking news: iPad 3 will be faster, more capable than last generation, stage demonstration will try to show that off! Full news at 9.

Sigh, more non-news....And yet I clicked it. Jokes on us I guess.
  • Reply 2 of 57
    iPhoto or Aperture for iPad..
  • Reply 3 of 57
    Just start selling it! Me want.

sigh...
  • Reply 4 of 57
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I'm perfectly happy with my iPad 2, and it wouldn't even bother me if I had to use it for a few more years, but - - - 2,048 by 1,536 pixels. I'm not going to be able to resist that. It's going to put my 27" monitor to shame. I am ready for the iPad 3, bring it on! I know one thing though. I will most likely not be waiting in any line for the iPad like I did last year, that was pretty much a waste of time spent with a bunch of unsavory scalpers and other undesirables. I will just order it online as soon as the ordering begins.
  • Reply 5 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Sold iPad 2 last week in preparation. The high res display is much needed for a better reading expirence. Instapaper will never be the same again.
  • Reply 6 of 57
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Sold iPad 2 last week in preparation.

I suppose that's the smart move to make. But I think it'll still be a while before anybody has a new iPad 3 in their hands. Will I be able to be without my iPad 2 for maybe 6-8 weeks or even longer? The iPad has become the ultimate bathroom companion for me. Hmmm, that's a tough decision actually.
  • Reply 7 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Sold iPad 2 last week in preparation. The high res display is much needed for a better reading expirence. Instapaper will never be the same again.

Let's hope your Nazi America doesn't affect Apple's release cycle.
  • Reply 8 of 57
    simtubsimtub Posts: 277member
    Every new iPad 3 rumour article is reiterating news from the previous articles... yawnnn
  • Reply 9 of 57
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member
    This is really sad. Apple has clearly gone off the rails under Cook. The future is clearly wirelessly music streaming in your house.
  • Reply 10 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

The iPad has become the ultimate bathroom companion for me. Hmmm, that's a tough decision actually.

That made me laugh.

I know what you mean though, I use my first gen every day and I skipped Gen 2 in hopes Gen 3 would get the higher res screen. I'm so ready!
  • Reply 11 of 57
    just_mejust_me Posts: 590member
    Quote:

I'm perfectly happy with my iPad 2, and it wouldn't even bother me if I had to use it for a few more years, but - - - 2,048 by 1,536 pixels. I'm not going to be able to resist that. It's going to put my 27" monitor to shame. I am ready for the iPad 3, bring it on! I know one thing though. I will most likely not be waiting in any line for the iPad like I did last year, that was pretty much a waste of time spent with a bunch of unsavory scalpers and other undesirables. I will just order it online as soon as the ordering begins.

Those barista are one freakish group
  • Reply 12 of 57
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    So will investors and the tech media proclaim this a failure if the form factor is the same as iPad 2?

I hope the iOS upgrade takes care of all the app crashes. I swear Safari crashes on me at leat once a day. And if I have multiple tabs when I go between them it sometimes refreshes the page whether I want it to or not.
  • Reply 13 of 57
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:

I suppose that's the smart move to make. But I think it'll still be a while before anybody has a new iPad 3 in their hands. Will I be able to be without my iPad 2 for maybe 6-8 weeks or even longer? The iPad has become the ultimate bathroom companion for me. Hmmm, that's a tough decision actually.

Reportedly it will be available almost immediately after the announcement, perhaps as little as 2 or 3 days later.
  • Reply 14 of 57
    okboyokboy Posts: 10member
    Isn't Apple the company that doesn't rush anything?
  • Reply 15 of 57
    FCP X iPad!
  • Reply 16 of 57
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

FCP X iPad!

Of course, all the iWorks type , prosumer apps will be going iPad
  • Reply 17 of 57
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by okboy View Post

Isn't Apple the company that doesn't rush anything?

Its probably not so much a 'rush' but a deadline. If they leave it open, it will take as long as they are allowed to work on it.
  • Reply 18 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

FCP X iPad!

How about at least an iPad app that works with FCP X on the Mac utilizing the AirPlay tech in the background. I can think of many actions that would be easier to use with your fingers on the iPad while seeing the results on the Mac.
  • Reply 19 of 57
    Well the LTE is not being mention on any of the sources damn!!!
  • Reply 20 of 57
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How about at least an iPad app that works with FCP X on the Mac utilizing the AirPlay tech in the background. I can think of many actions that would be easier to use with your fingers on the iPad while seeing the results on the Mac.

Control panels for grading, audio mixing etc. There are already a couple of rudimentary apps out there, but hopefully this new hardware kick starts more development down this path.