Apple to disrupt notebook space with radically redesigned MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 21 of 321
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post

But what about people who need 500 GB storage? or wired ethernet?

This article doesn't negate these happening. Being thinner could really mean getting rid of the 12.7mm ODD. You'd lose over 3mm from the bottom thickness as well as gain a great deal of internal space (25% on the 13" MBP).

That's if they still went with a 9.5mm (dual-platter) HDD, but their is an option for 7mm (single-platter) HDDs, which is also the standard thickness for SSDs.

With either of these types of 2.5" drives i think there is room for an Ethernet port and well as other ports at the back of the tapered machine. Remember, when you lose the ODD you gain 5.25" of port-side space.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

You think they can fit a conventionnal HDD in that space?

Personnaly I would still go 100% SSD because I kind of like the idea of a laptop with no moving parts.

Sure. They've been around for years, just haven't found much of a market. Back in 2009 Seagate had a 320GB single-platter drive. I think a single platter for a 2.5" HDD can not top 500GB but don't quote me on that.

I long ago removed my ODD and replaced it with a HDD. I love having my SSD as the boot drive and my HDD as my user folder. I can see Apple wanting to make it faster and more reliable but I'm not sure that SSD price per GB are close enough to HDD to make the use of a flash card feasible for the Pro line. Though Apple does have a tendency for jumping the gun earlier than many think they should in these cases. I'm simply hoping they allow for the flash card and 2.5" drive so I can speed and capacity at the same time.
  • Reply 22 of 321
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    By the end the year, I suspect they will have the following lineup:

Tablet: iPad 2, iPad 3

Notebook: Macbook Air 11, 13, 15, 17

Desktop: iMac 21, 27 (also radically thinner than the current ones)

There will be no HDs anywhere. If you want an HD you can use the Thunderbolt port. Apple may even provide their own external HD, in the same way they provide an external optical drive now.
  • Reply 23 of 321
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    They should rebrand the Air and the Pro and bring out 4 MacBooks: 11, 13, 15 & 17" versions. Would be clean and very Apple-like.
  • Reply 24 of 321
    Quote:

Thunderbolt. The question is will Apple get smart & come up with some of their own solutions to that just like how with the arrival of the Air they started selling their own USB ethernet adapter. It's been the 1 frustration over thunderbolt I have, if Apple wants adoption they need to make their own products to support it & prove the worth of developing devices for it to the OEMs.

Don't give me the Cinema display as an example, not very many people buying an Air care to drop a boatload on a Cinema display.
  • Reply 25 of 321
    Quote:

or wired ethernet?

The USB dongle works perfectly well.
  • Reply 26 of 321
    If this is true, then it looks like my current MBP better survive for a while or it will be my last. There is nothing PRO about the current airs. I absolutely need an optical drive, and SSD are so far, well too small for me. THE GPU is underwhelming as well. I'm not carrying around external pieces to get one with my daily life for the sake of being thin.
  • Reply 27 of 321
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

They should rebrand the Air and the Pro and bring out 4 MacBooks with 11, 13, 15 & 17" version. Would be clean and very Apple-like.

That's what I read the article was saying is going to happen.
  • Reply 28 of 321
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Looks like Seagate and Hitachi could be delivering 1TB on a 2.5" Platter this year if they want to.

I can definitely see it happening because the race is one to deliver thin and light notebooks and in ALL cases if there's a HDD inside it needs to be Callista Flockhart sized.

There's probably going to be a lot of demand for SP HDD (Single Platter) not just from Apple but from many other vendors as well.

I suspect that the Blade Format SSD will rise in popularity as well since it gets rid of the needless casing that SSD come in to make them compatible with HDD bays.
  • Reply 29 of 321
    Apple's laptops are too anorexic as it is.. Jesus.. Feed these things some BBQ Pork for God's sake!!!

I hope they only expand the Air line (add 15 and 17 inch versions) and don't ruin the MacBook Pro line w/ this idiotic BS..

Do Not Want!!!
  • Reply 30 of 321
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Thunderbolt. The question is will Apple get smart & come up with some of their own solutions to that just like how with the arrival of the Air they started selling their own USB ethernet adapter. It's been the 1 frustration over thunderbolt I have, if Apple wants adoption they need to make their own products to support it & prove the worth of developing devices for it to the OEMs.

I see ThunderBolt for pros and a new wifi based solid state external for the masses coming from Apple soon.

p.s. I was just listing to some Hot Tuna, do you ever get those Hezetation Blues too?
  • Reply 31 of 321
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

If this is true, then it looks like my current MBP better survive for a while or it will be my last. There is nothing PRO about the current airs. I absolutely need an optical drive, and SSD are so far, well too small for me. THE GPU is underwhelming as well. I'm not carrying around external pieces to get one with my daily life for the sake of being thin.

I really doubt that a Pro version is going to come without discrete graphics and some form of internal mass storage. The optical drive as an integrated item is not really needed by most people but the other items (ports, GPU, mass storage) are very necessary IMO
  • Reply 32 of 321
    neo42neo42 Posts: 287member
    The only problem with market saturation is resell value impact. I've been trying to dump my '11 MBP, but it hasn't been so easy as previous generations. Seems like CL is flooded with these guys anymore. When depreciation rate rises, upgrading becomes more expensive and personally I'm not a fan of that trend.

On a side note.. thunderbolt is nice and all, I guess, but the MBP better get USB 3.0 support. Shelling out a couple hundred bucks for a conversion box is NOT a good solution for me.
  • Reply 33 of 321
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hezetation View Post

Thunderbolt adoption is rampant for a new tech. It's still not out from under the Apple exclusivity and we've already seen plenty of PC OEMs working to include it later this year. Even if you completely ignore the exclusivity between Intel and Apple it's still been less than a year since it was unveiled. I don't think USB came close to that speed of adoption.
  • Reply 34 of 321
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jwdsail View Post

Apple's laptops are too anorexic as it is.. Jesus.. Feed these things some BBQ Pork for God's sake!!!

I hope they only expand the Air line (add 15 and 17 inch versions) and don't ruin the MacBook Pro line w/ this idiotic BS..

Do Not Want!!!

So what use do you have for an ODD? This is going to happen and there's nothing you can do to stop it. It might not happen this year, but it will happen. And you'll have no alternative, because five years after that, PC laptops will stop including optical drives.

Come to think of it, that would still give you time to buy two PC laptops and have them live their entire lives, so have at it.
  • Reply 35 of 321
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    Quote:

I seriously think a "Pro" model will still use conventional HD in addition to an SSD boot drive. There will be plenty of room for it. You'll get wired ethernet too. The only thing you'll need to give up is the optical drive. There would be room for one, but they're the floppy drive of the 21st century. They add cost and weight and most people never or rarely use them. Since I got a MBA, I've rarely missed it. I got an external DVDRW and I think I used it once.
  • Reply 36 of 321
    This is a fair representation of state of PC ultrabooks, rather than the one image shown here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJqPcZLOe9I
  • Reply 37 of 321
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

Is the Cube the only one that had no fan?

I am looking for decent price on SSD drive for my current MacBook Pro 2011 17" - got a 750GB 5400 RPM in there now - got a 500GB hybrid to swap in but could not get the 750 to work in the external enclosure - so wanting a Crucial M4 512GB SSD - but a bit more than I would care to spend at the moment. It will go nicely with the 16GB of RAM I recently installed.

I added the Crucial you are looking at. It was the best\\cheapest I found for that size. It works great. So weird and wonderful not to hear any disk noise.
  • Reply 38 of 321
    Since we're taking requests I'd also like to see.

Bluetooth 4.0 - I'm eagerly awaiting the time I can replace my BT Apple KB with 4.0 models that last all FREAKING year off of two AA batteries.

4G Cellular technology -in every model. I want to be on the road and realize that I need connectivity yet i'm nowhere near a Wifi station and be able to purchase a month of Data from AT&T, Verizon or Sprint. Having GPS in a MBP would also allow me to start leveraging location based applications with a higher degree of accuracy.
  • Reply 39 of 321
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

Apple should not make the pros too much like the airs. If I wanted and air, I would purchase an air.

Yes, drop the DVD, I almost never use it. But do not drop the faster processor or the rotating HDD. And have room for BOTH an SSD and a conventional HDD. I would love to have my OS on an SSD with a 1 TB rotating hdd for data. By dropping the DVD there will be more then enough room for both.

I agree with you, the key thing for me is having the powerful processors. I'm sure they won't slack off on that for Pro models though.

SSD's I thought I might not be happy with, but since I got a Thunderbolt display, I'm actually less bothered about the size of the drive physically in the Mac, since there is always a couple of large storage drives attached to the display, and when I'm on the road, I need less storage space.

If they can keep the raw processing power of the current lineup, and reduce the weight, I'll be happy.
  • Reply 40 of 321
    The processing power is a given.

Whatever comes down the pipe is going to be based on Ivy Bridge which is a lot more efficient than Sandy Bridge in power consumption.