Apple to disrupt notebook space with radically redesigned MacBook Pros

Comments

• Reply 61 of 321
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post

But what about people who need 500 GB storage? or wired ethernet?

You do not need 500GB of storage. You do not need ethernet.

Apple has spoken.

Or you can buy external dongles and drives. Nothing says sleek and sexy more than a bunch of shit hanging off a laptop.

A 15 inch air should have room for ethernet at least. Not sure if they can cram a traditional drive in there though. I actually prefer the blade design SSD in the current air, as it's faster than a SATA SSD. Hopefully the RAM will be upgrade-able without a soldering iron.
  • Reply 62 of 321
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You're assuming they would have to use a standard Ethernet port. They could go for something as simple as having the very back of the tapered design be just big enough for a standard Ethernet port opposite the MagSafe connector.

Haha, no. That would be hideous.

Of course they will offer an adapter (already plenty of USB to Ethernet adapters out there). They won't ship them by default, and few people will buy them.
  • Reply 63 of 321
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JordonIsAwesome View Post

I guess I'm the only one here but I use my MBP as a primary computer and I refuse to buy music from iTunes as its bit rate is only 256. So if I can't find a FLAC or ALAC version to download I instead buy the disc to acquire the lossless format. Which in turn takes up more space thus makes me not want an SSD with the current price to size ratio. Buying an external optical drive for a computer that is over $2,000 seems silly when one that is <$300 comes with it.

But I digress... I know this is the way of the future.. may as well go along with it.

Well said. But it's only the future if you insist on believing that Mac is the only way to go. I would encourage people to open their minds and think outside the box.
  • Reply 64 of 321
    Quote:

Yeah, let's ignore the future for a port that doesn't even have HALF the throughput of ports already shipping on all but one Mac model.

Yeah, let's ignore a port that has hardware that can be purchased at your local best buy or office supply store in favor of a port where the peripherals cost as much as the computer.
  • Reply 65 of 321
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Already proven wrong.

What, the SSD stick? What's proprietary about that connector? I'd love to know.

Other than the fact that they've been offered for quite some time now.

If Apple is moving to an entirely non-upgradable RAM system, you can be sure they'll step up their capacity game.

Already been the case for about three years and people are getting along fine.

Yeah, let's ignore the future for a port that doesn't even have HALF the throughput of ports already shipping on all but one Mac model.

1. You're not "anyone".

2. You don't do "anything". Which is blindingly apparent since you have no clue what you're talking about here.

I'll make the obligatory reference. I'll do it. Fine, here it is: 640k ought to be enough for anyone.

"OH, THUNDERBOLT. NO ONE NEEDS TO GO THAT FAST."

Again, would you elaborate on what is nonstandard about what they're using right now?

Just more fanboy BS. Get a life, LOSER.
  • Reply 66 of 321
    Can't wait for the 17in new MBP, with my apple display it will become my main PC. But i dissagre it will be desruptive, IMHO tablets is what will disrupt the laptop market teh most.
  • Reply 67 of 321
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

Just more fanboy BS. Get a life, LOSER.

Shouldn't you be over on MacRumors?

*ducks*
  • Reply 68 of 321
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JordonIsAwesome View Post

I guess I'm the only one here but I use my MBP as a primary computer and I refuse to buy music from iTunes as its bit rate is only 256. So if I can't find a FLAC or ALAC version to download I instead buy the disc to acquire the lossless format. Which in turn takes up more space thus makes me not want an SSD with the current price to size ratio. Buying an external optical drive for a computer that is over $2,000 seems silly when one that is <$300 comes with it.

But I digress... I know this is the way of the future.. may as well go along with it.

You're way too small and specialized a market, unfortunately.

But I think you know where you stand....
  • Reply 69 of 321
    Quote:

But what about people who need 500 GB storage? or wired ethernet?

Buy the apple thunderport display and an external hard drive,

for travel get a Ethernet adapter.
  • Reply 70 of 321
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Besides as long as there are fans in the machines you will have moving parts.

I have to agree though that an all SSD machine sounds good. The problem is paying for one that has enough secondary storage for today's needs. I'm not willing to pay for a 1TB SSD at today's prices.

As to putting a HDD in that space it should be easy. Remember that simply by deleting the optical they gain a huge new layout capability. Put the HDD near the hinge and you will be OK. Further I expect that the machines will be thicker than today's AIRs anyways.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

You think they can fit a conventionnal HDD in that space?

Personnaly I would still go 100% SSD because I kind of like the idea of a laptop with no moving parts.

• Reply 71 of 321
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Nothing says sleek and sexy more than a bunch of shit hanging off a laptop.

How is that less visually appealing than a piece of grey, twisted, plasticky cable coming off said laptop?
  • Reply 72 of 321
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

They won?t disrupt the whole network space. Just the eleven people who meet all of these criteria:

1. Watch DVDs a lot while not at home, so an external drive is something to carry.

2. Object to the extra part to remember to put in their laptop bag, even if the total volume/weight still isn?t larger than the old Pro. And even if an external drive is just one part, compared to the stack of scratchable discs you?d need to lug no matter whether the drive were internal or external.

3. Prefer lugging extra weight for a drive and discs, instead of ripping a disc or watching from iTunes/etc..

4. Forget that the new Pros give you more for your money even IF you add the optional external drive.

OR

The four people who prefer to burn DVDs rather than re-use tiny, cheap thumbdrives... and must burn them while away from home/office. They?ll have an external drive (and scratchable discs) to lug too.

OR

The two people who like to install software at Denny's instead of at home via no-cost Remote Disc.

The rest of us will be glad that the external is optional; only carry that weight/volume when/if you need it.

So I really hope the internal opticals go away.* I haven?t wished for an internal optical in 4 years of using Airs as my primary professional work machines. And I have never needed to buy an external, even. Once in a long, long while I?ll need to use a disc, and Remote Disc does just fine. (I do watch DVDs... but at home.)

* Maybe not for the iMac, though: they?re nice home movie screens, and all-in-one simplicity is what they?re all about.

Are you always so pompous? You may not like it, but many many people don't agree with you.
  • Reply 73 of 321
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Yeah, let's ignore a port that has hardware that can be purchased at your local best buy or office supply store in favor of a port where the peripherals cost as much as the computer.

You've misattributed that quote to old-wiz.

And your nonsensical position is simply that. You're behaving as though technology doesn't get cheaper over the years.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bluevoid View Post

*ducks*

Brought a smile to my face, at least.
  • Reply 74 of 321
    Quote:

*ducks*

nope.
  • Reply 75 of 321
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

Haha, no. That would be hideous.

Why is that hideous? Too thick for your tastes? We're talking about their Prosumer notebook. It will have to be thicker to accommodate the cooling for the standard notebook CPU and dGPU.

Now it won't necessary have to be thick enough to support the standard TIA/EIA-568 port interface as they can shave 3mm from just getting rid of the ODD, but there is still a lot of thermal engineering involved to maintain proper heat dissipation so I'm not expecting 0.68" on a 13" MBP. On a larger MBP it could be possible due to the extra footprint space.

The un-promulgated benefits of removing the ODD is that you can place the CPU and GPU closer to the back of the machine where it's thicker, where the vents are, and even place them father apart to allow more even dissipation of heat. It really opens up a lot of doors for engineers.
  • Reply 76 of 321
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You've misattributed that quote to old-wiz.

And your nonsensical position is simply that. You're behaving as though technology doesn't get cheaper over the years.

Brought a smile to my face, at least.

By the time external Thunderbolt drives come down to reasonable levels, USB 5.0 will be released and it will STILL cost less!
  • Reply 77 of 321
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    For Apple to call it pro it needs to be awesome at the following so they can brag about it:
    Final Cut Pro (GPU and CPU intense, external hardware support)

Aperture (GPU and CPU intense)

Logic Pro (CPU intense, external hardware support)
    I hope they'll keep it pro. At some point built in graphic cards will be powerful enough, no doubt... But is that day today? I don't know..
  • Reply 78 of 321
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Quote:

The new MacBook Pros may be sleek and light and fine for home users, but they'll be a disaster for professionals and the enterprise.

Apple's insistence on returning to the bad old days of ...[ignorant rant truncated]

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

So much FUD. Where does one begin?

Well we could begin by pointing out Thunderbolt was developed by Intel, not proprietary to Apple, and that OS X is a UNIX which can be fiddled with to one's desire,

but then we'd only be feeding and wasting time on an ignorant, misinformed troll, so better to end than to begin.
  • Reply 79 of 321
    Quote:

By the time external Thunderbolt drives come down to reasonable levels, USB 5.0 will be released and it will STILL cost less!

Sure it will.
  • Reply 80 of 321
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

The USB dongle works perfectly well.

What is it about people not grasping that a laptop is a portable device and that carrying around external dongles for port that are easy to include internally is a waste! That doesn't even get into the fact that USB dongles don't work very well.

The same thing applies to external storage, it isn't the right solution.