Apple looks to end Motorola patent attack in Germany with U.S. suit

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    I hope the courts see this as abusive and drop the hammer hard on Motorola. Total Bullsh!t. If they win the case, what's next? Perhaps I'll get a bill from Intel to pay a license fee because my Mac has an Intel chip inside it??
  • Reply 22 of 37
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

Is there a possibility the original licensing from Motorola was for Qualcomm phones?

Because I remember when QCOM made and sold phones in the early 90s.

If so then those original QCOM licenses do not apply.

And Apple is on the hook.

Keep in mind gents - Motorola was THE original cell phone manufacturer. If there are patents they pretty much have all of them.

We don't need more speculation we need facts!
  • Reply 23 of 37
    You play with fire...
  • Reply 24 of 37
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Someone linked to a court document that seemed to indicate that Motorola had cancelled a licensing agreement with a component maker (not sure if it was Qualcomm or not) about a month after the iPhone was released-- and subsequently sued Apple for using that very same component. You get the feeling that Moto has been plotting its IP battles since long before Apple sued anyone.

I posted this link to a judgement:

http://articles.law360.s3.amazonaws....doc_num-93.pdf

Motorola revoked two licenses months after Apple had actually begun manufacturing systems using components that were previously covered by those licenses. Not one single manufacturer on Earth in any industry could survive the consequences of a judgement in Motorola's favour.

The judgement upholds Apple's use of anti-trust language.

Motorola is desperate in asserting claims based on a third party's (Qualcomm's) component licenses. The claims border on the absurd. At this level of licensing there are thousands of property rights involved in any modern electronic device.

Motorola is heading into trouble.
  • Reply 25 of 37
    I'll never forget the Apple-Motorola love child: the iTunes compatible ROKR! Ah, those where the days
  • Reply 26 of 37
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IQatEdo View Post

I posted this link to a judgement:

http://articles.law360.s3.amazonaws....doc_num-93.pdf

Motorola revoked two licenses months after Apple had actually begun manufacturing systems using components that were previously covered by those licenses. Not one single manufacturer on Earth in any industry could survive the consequences of a judgement in Motorola's favour.

The judgement upholds Apple's use of anti-trust language.

Motorola is desperate in asserting claims based on a third party's (Qualcomm's) component licenses. The claims border on the absurd. At this level of licensing there are thousands of property rights involved in any modern electronic device.

Motorola is heading into trouble.

Thanks for posting that link, very informative.
  • Reply 27 of 37
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Thanks for posting that link, very informative.

According to my recollection, Apple started the whole mess, trying to block android devices from appearing on the market.

Now the technique has backfired, I can't help but smile.
  • Reply 28 of 37
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bongo View Post

According to my recollection, Apple started the whole mess, trying to block android devices from appearing on the market.

It's apples and oranges. Apple has never sued over a standards-essential patent (and they have hundreds of them). Apple sues over copying non-standards-essential patents. If you don't know the difference, try to learn about it.
  • Reply 29 of 37
    Quote:

Learn the difference then if you see no ...
  • Reply 30 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

It's apples and oranges. Apple has never sued over a standards-essential patent (and they have hundreds of them). Apple sues over copying non-standards-essential patents. If you don't know the difference, try to learn about it.

And Apple GETS sued for using standards-essential patents without licensing them. The difference is huge.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Wasn't there some article a little while back where Apple had transferred some patents over to a Patent Troll company, and that company then went on to sue a few Android companies?

Yes, but the move was probably one of necessity. First, since Apple transferred the right to sue to the so called patent enforcement company, the company couldn't sue Apple over other patents it held. Further, nowadays one of the biggest problems with patent litigation if being countersued or having to worry about a trade ban though the ITC. Since the patent company makes nothing, it doesn't have to worry about those things.

It is also important to note, Apple did this shortly after Nokia mentioned that it did the same thing, and that the patents it transferred weren't covered by any Nokia/Apple deal.

The move is probably a smart one. Apple can continue to attack Android. This company will seek a license, which will increase the cost of Android and bring money to Apple.
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

And Apple GETS sued for using standards-essential patents without licensing them. The difference is huge.

Perhaps, but Apple's argument is it doesn't need a license as companies like Qualcomm already obtained a license. I makes little sense that Qualcomm would get licenses that weren't transferable to buyers of its product. Qualcomm doesn't need a license merely to manufacture a product. It needs the license to cover the sale of its product to others.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Quote:

Are you aware that Nokia and Motorola sued Apple before Apple filed a single lawsuit regarding Android. Moreover, I don't see how Apple has lost anything other than money for attorneys. It's products are being sold everywhere intended. If Apple's online sales are blocked in Germany, it will likely merely be a matter of Apple sacrificing a pawn.

I also don't see Apple grumbling about Window Phone, which 1) is probably a better OS than Android, and 2) isn't a copy of iOS.
  • Reply 34 of 37
    dskdsk Posts: 18member
    I'm slowly getting sick with all the lawsuits. Microsoft at its power time never exercised this to amount thats even close to this. A true innovator should not worry so vigorously about competition, because if you innovate youre one step ahead and consumers will know that. Unless innovator is running out of ideas. And as a disclaimer, i dont consider myself as a fan of either company, mobile technology yes.. That i am a true fan of. And with at least 10 iDevices, and as developer of apps for iOS, i am certainly not a hater. Certainly, bit too personal but before people start discrediting me for my thoughts, some background.

So, keep innovating, stop litigating.

Written on iPad
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dsk View Post

A true innovator should not worry so vigorously about competition, because if you innovate youre one step ahead and consumers will know that. Unless innovator is running out of ideas.

Uh huh.

Quote:

And with at least 10 iDevices, and as developer of apps for iOS, i am certainly not a hater.

Why is it that the only people who ever try to justify their positions by posting how many Macs they have are always the ones who are either the most uninformed or the most trollish?

Quote:

So, keep innovating, stop litigating.

As a developer, you should know how foolish this is to say. What's the point in innovating if everyone else is just allowed to steal your idea? If you really do develop iOS apps, tell me which ones you've done so that I can make near-exact copies and sell them for even less. See how you like that.
  • Reply 36 of 37
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Are you aware that Nokia and Motorola sued Apple before Apple filed a single lawsuit regarding Android.

I thought Apple's suit against HTC (Android) pre-dated Moto's filing against Apple by several months? Apple filed a patent infringement suit against High Tech Computer Corp, HTC, in March 2010 at the U.S. District Court in Delaware. I think the first Moto suits were filed against Apple in October 2010.

FWIW, FOSSPatents claims to have proof that it was Apple that attacked Motorola first.

http://fosspatents.blogspot.com/2011...not-other.html

Doesn't mean he does and that he's right, but it lends some credence to the claim made elsewhere.
  • Reply 37 of 37
    dskdsk Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Uh huh.

Why is it then that the apple took litigation to new heights, why doesn't facebook care about copycats...?

As a consumer I am interested in innovation, not in profits of the shareholders of company i buy products from. These two is not necessarily interconnected.

Quote:

Why is it that the only people who ever try to justify their positions by posting how many Macs they have are always the ones who are either the most uninformed or the most trollish?

Why justifying? Because otherwise 10 people will immediately say that i'm another android guy...

I wouldn't agree either on 'uninformed' or 'trollish'.

Quote:

As a developer, you should know how foolish this is to say. What's the point in innovating if everyone else is just allowed to steal your idea? If you really do develop iOS apps, tell me which ones you've done so that I can make near-exact copies and sell them for even less. See how you like that.

In a market with 700.000 apps it's almost impossible to make something truly new. Bluntly stealing is of course not an answer. What we are seeing is constant evolution of products and very rarely new invention. I found a niche, focused myself on specific countries and areas and made the best app there in category. If you wish you can get the names of my apps on pm. I Don't think that the forum is interested in that because i'm not from US, and i think that would still be advertising. I do not fear competition, copycats.. it'll just push me further forward to make a difference. To be better today than I am yesterday is a bigger driver for me than the money i get with it. No reason why this shouldn't work on big company scale.