Apple asks for US preliminary injunction of Samsung's Android 4.0 Galaxy Nexus

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

Apple is leveraging four recently granted patents to seek a preliminary injunction against sales of Samsung's Galaxy Nexus smartphone, Google's Android 4.0 flagship device, as part of a new federal lawsuit that also involves other patent claims.

General details of the new suit were published yesterday, but according to a report by Florian Mueller of FOSS Patents, Apple's latest suit targets the Galaxy Nexus, parallel to a separate complaint last fall, but differing in several key respects.

Case two: All guns blazing

Mueller notes that in this new case, Apple has filed for a preliminary injunction at the same time as its ongoing suit alleging patent infringement. In the prior case, Apple filed the case first and then added a request for a preliminary injunction. As a result, Samsung argued that Apple's filings indicated a lack of urgency or necessity in getting an injunction in place.

Apple is also outlining the actual costs and damages it suffers through the availability of Samsung's infringing products.

The complaint is also based on patents that were recently issued, so as Mueller notes, "there's no more argument over Apple having tolerated infringement for a long time before bringing a complaint." Apple also portrays Samsung as "as an unrepentant, 'recidivist' infringer whom the courts must finally stop," Mueller points out.

The patents in question also related to specific, technical features rather than "software design related rights."

The four patents

The four patents Apple is asserting against the Galaxy Nexus include the Data Detectors patent Apple successfully used to win an ITC injunction against HTC: U.S. Patent No. 5,946,647 "System and Method for Performing an Action on a Structure in Computer-Generated Data."

Google's decision to keep Data Detectors in Android 4.0 even after the ITC ruled it as infringement in the HTC case, Muller wrote, "is unfair vis-à-vis HTC (whose products are weaker because they have to respect the decision), snubs Apple, and shows disregard for intellectual property in general and the ITC in particular. This is a case of willful, extremely reckless infringement."

Secondly, U.S. Patent No. 8,086,604 "Universal Interface for Retrieval of Information in a Computer System" is a "new patent related to Siri and unified search," which Mueller notes, "must be of huge concern to Google with a view to its core business."

The third, U.S. Patent No. 8,046,721 "Unlocking a Device by Performing Gestures on an Unlock Image" is the slide to unlock patent that Apple has previous asserted in other cases, including a German suit against the Galaxy Nexus. The government in Taiwan expressed concern about the patent after it was granted last fall.

The fourth, U.S. Patent No. 8,074,172 "Method, System, and Graphical User Interface for Providing Word Recommendations," Mueller described as "a word completion patent that provides major speed improvements for touchscreen text entry."

Shooting down Nexus

That Apple is taking direct aim at the Galaxy Nexus is interesting in that the model represents the latest version of Android 4.0 software, as well as being the latest official Google-led design using a stock install of Android, as opposed to devices marketed by Motorola, Samsung or HTC with layers of vendor-specific, differentiating software on them.

This takes Apple's infringement case directly to Google's Android, while focusing the damages upon the most successful Android licensee with the deepest pockets: Samsung.

The rollout of Android 4.0 is occurring very slowly, making the Galaxy Nexus the primary vehicle for Google's latest version of its mobile operating system. The 4.0 release aims at bringing a variety of enhancements and technologies originally created to enable Android to power tablets systems in last year's Android 3.0 Honeycomb release. It's also required to install Google's latest Chrome browser.

While Android 4.0 currently only represents 1 percent of the installed base of Android devices, the Galaxy Nexus also represents the more profitable higher end of the Android product range, making it more effective for Apple to target than the large volume of virtually profitless basic feature phones that also use Android.

Disrupting its feature set and forcing the removal infringing features from Android 4.0 will likely blunt the deployment of other Android licensee's high end products, making it even more difficult to earn profits on the platform.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 448
    he shoots!
  • Reply 2 of 448
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Now we're entering middle game where Apple goes after Google's back row pieces instead of just the handset vendor pawns using Android OS in hopes of scrapping a profit after years of making flawed business decisions.
  • Reply 3 of 448
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    12 patent articles in just 5 days. A new record for AI?\
  • Reply 4 of 448
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Apple's really been getting busy on the legal front these past few days.

I fully support their offensive and it's time to step up the blitzkrieg and take no prisoners.
  • Reply 5 of 448
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Now we're entering middle game where Apple goes after Google's back row pieces instead of the HW handset vendor pawns using Android to make a quick buck out a failed business model.

This is now going to get very interesting. This seems to be a very well planned big step for Apple.
  • Reply 6 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Now we're entering middle game where Apple goes after Google's back row pieces instead of the HW handset vendor pawns using Android to make a quick buck out a failed business model.

...and Larry Page makes a few ineffective gestures in the air and tries to break a chair a la Ballmer.

Endgame is not far off. Apple's lawyers make Steve Jobs look like Mr. Nice Guy in comparison.
  • Reply 7 of 448
    An injunction against the Android 4.0 flagship would be a major blow to Google. I wonder when the vendors HTC and Samsung decide to call it quits and switch to another OS.

Doesn't look like Larry Page is a good chess player.
  • Reply 8 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

12 patent articles in just 5 days. A new record for AI?\

And how many worthless comments have you slathered on each of the articles?
  • Reply 9 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

And how many worthless comments have you slathered on each of the articles?

None were worthless AFAIK Many of them added information that members had been unaware of according to some of the responses.
  • Reply 10 of 448
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

An injunction against the Android 4.0 flagship would be a major blow to Google. I wonder when the vendors HTC and Samsung decide to call it quits and switch to another OS.

Samsung has the Bada OS and is working on another they are calling Tizen. So they have a few moves worked out I think.
  • Reply 11 of 448
    I did not realize how awesome the Galaxy Nexus is, but if Apple is that worried about this phone. I will definitely have to go check it out. Thanks for letting me know Apple!
  • Reply 12 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ikki View Post

I did not realize how awesome the Galaxy Nexus is, but if Apple is that worried about this phone. I will definitely have to go check it out. Thanks for letting me know Apple!

By your reasoning this tablet must be awesome.
  • Reply 13 of 448
    Quote:

MS uses patents as leverage to get vendors using Android to fork out large fees per unit sold. MS then gives profit to Apple to sue vendors using Android to help speed up the inevitable with most vendors eventually having no recourse but to go with the cheaper option of licensing WP7. (Just spouting nonsensical conspiracy)
  • Reply 14 of 448
    If you cant give thee more features together, sue thy other providers! Well done...

We, the Apple fans will wait for and adapt S, R, S1, S2 etc.. ensuring Apple make its money and let others die copying and failing on the lawsuits. If Nexus really infringed on the patents, why even wait until they tested the waters with HTC and also to see how much of a success it is in the 3 months of its USA launch? Was their Nexus phone back-ordered till now?

Samsung, dont invest on technology and Android licenses. Invest in good lawyers

I'm not a fan of android (rather own so many Apple products myself). But I find it hard to see someone 'blatantly' snatching 45-65% more money for the products in the name of aesthetic patents. If Apple considers reducing this margin even a bit lesser, they dont have to chase Android OEMs, but would see the Apple customer base further increase exponentially. Patents are good, but only as long as they dont hurt the customers of the reach to good technology on time and at reasonable price.
  • Reply 15 of 448
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

Samsung are already preparing their Bada OS.
  • Reply 16 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Samsung are already preparing their Bada OS.

I believe they've been selling it on their lower-end smartphones for awhile now. From what I've seen it looked pretty decent.
  • Reply 17 of 448
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Samsung has the Bada OS and is working on another they are calling Tizen. So they have a few moves worked out I think.

True, but by going after the first Android 4.0 phone (which has no OEM-specific customizations), Apple is going after Google without directly going after Google.
  • Reply 18 of 448
    Thermonuclear War at it's best!
  • Reply 19 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I fully support their offensive and it's time to step up the blitzkrieg and take no prisoners.

Then they need to quit pidding around the outskirts and take the lawsuit directly to Google.
  • Reply 20 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Then they need to quit pidding around the outskirts and take the lawsuit directly to Google.

Completely agree. That's where their issue is so go to the source and settle it.