Apple asks for US preliminary injunction of Samsung's Android 4.0 Galaxy Nexus

Comments

• Reply 21 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ikki View Post

I did not realize how awesome the Galaxy Nexus is, but if Apple is that worried about this phone. I will definitely have to go check it out. Thanks for letting me know Apple!

You should get it while you can, before a US court orders Samsung to remove all the parts they've copied from Apple.
  • Reply 22 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Then they need to quit pidding around the outskirts and take the lawsuit directly to Google.

But, they aren't selling anything. Hard to say someone who created something and not using it i.e. NOT selling the thing is damaging.
  • Reply 23 of 448
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

But, they aren't selling anything. Hard to say someone who created something and not using it i.e. NOT selling the thing is damaging.

That hasn't stopped Oracle
  • Reply 24 of 448
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

Then they need to quit pidding around the outskirts and take the lawsuit directly to Google.

Perhaps, but maybe there are some other plans in existence which we do not yet know about. Steve Jobs and Larry Ellison were pretty close, and I'm sure that they discussed Google more than a few times. Hopefully Oracle's lawsuits against Google and their Android OS makes some headway soon.

Apple can attack from the North, while Oracle has the South covered. Apple can hand over a few more patents to a Patent Troll company and they can hold the Eastern front while some of the other companies which are suing Google, like BT, can take care of the Western front, leaving Google encircled with no chance of escape.
  • Reply 25 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That hasn't stopped Oracle

They have a long road ahead. I like Apple's approach of hitting those who are taking the cheap-n-easy path and making money from stealing. Make Android so much more unattractive that companies, and I can't believe I'm typing this, choose the lesser evil, MS.
  • Reply 26 of 448
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

They have a long road ahead. I like Apple's approach of hitting those who are taking the cheap-n-easy path and making money from stealing. Make Android so much more unattractive that companies, and I can't believe I'm typing this, choose the lesser evil, MS.

I don't what makes you think Oracle has a long road ahead. Trial starts in March.

Also, Oracle's Ellison and Jobs were best friends. If Job's books is to be believed, Ellison once offered to get the financing for Jobs to buy Apple.

You can't help but to wonder if Oracle buying Java to eventually attack Google didn't at least have Jobs blessing.
  • Reply 27 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I don't what makes you think Oracle has a long road ahead. Trial starts in March.

Is that set in stone? I didn't think it was, instead just an "early as" date.

EDIT:

BTW, this probably had Larry spitting bullets. Not real helpful to have one of your damages experts and a top Oracle engineer say Google isn't using JavaME.

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?s...20210080453710
  • Reply 28 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Also, Oracle's Ellison and Jobs were best friends. If Job's books is to be believed, Ellison once offered to get the financing for Jobs to buy Apple.

You can't help but to wonder if Oracle buying Java to eventually attack Google didn't at least have Jobs blessing.

Oracle bought Sun for many reasons. Among them is keep them away from IBM.
  • Reply 29 of 448
    If Google's notification patent is granted I wonder what the tone will be then.
  • Reply 30 of 448
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AbsoluteDesignz View Post

If Google's notification patent is granted I wonder what the tone will be then.

It depends on what is granted and what Google thinks is infringing. You can't make a blanket statement about all companies and patents. Just look at the Spanish company that made an Android-based tablet. I think the majority felt Apple was out of order going after them.
  • Reply 31 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It depends on what is granted and what Google thinks is infringing. You can't make a blanket statement about all companies and patents. Just look at the Spanish company that made an Android-based tablet. I think the majority felt Apple was out of order going after them.

True.
  • Reply 32 of 448
    Just as a mention, Google may have already patented a competing unlock method, filed in 2009 and published last year. IMO, this one doesn't appear to be bothered even by a broad interpretation of Apple's patent submission, which I personally don't expect anyway.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2011/0157029.html

EDIT:@AbsoluteDesignz-

Thanks for mentioning a possible notification patent. I had no idea they had filed one, but your comment sent me looking.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20090249247.pdf

EDIT2: Could Google have applied for a patent on voice search on a smartphone prior to Siri? Certainly looks possible, and potentially problematic if so.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20100121636.pdf
  • Reply 33 of 448
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

You should get it while you can, before a US court orders Samsung to remove all the parts they've copied from Apple.

What's left, the case?
  • Reply 34 of 448
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:

Try giving away bootlegs of Beatle albums openly and test that theory.
  • Reply 35 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Try giving away bootlegs of Beatle albums openly and test that theory.

Yes but come at me and get what for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ trouble?

Hint $0.01 on the dollar. The bigger fines and penalties are reserved for those selling Beatle bootlegs. Unless of course you're live in Hong Kong.

It's going to be a challenge cutting through Google's books looking for a profit instead of a loss.
  • Reply 36 of 448
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

EDIT:@AbsoluteDesignz-

Thanks for mentioning a possible notification patent. I had no idea they had filed one, but your comment sent me looking.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/20090249247.pdf

I've looked over the patent. Based on my non-expert opinion a couple things stand out. First of all, going by the Abstract alone...
    Quote:

A computer-implemented user notification method includes displaying, in a status area near a perimeter of a graphical interface, a notification of a recent alert event for a mobile device, receiving a user selection in the status area, and in response to the receipt of the user selection, displaying, in a central zone of the graphical interface, detail regarding a plurality of recent messaging events for the mobile device.

... and then looking by the images the patents show the notifications at the top as a bar it would appear that Google has a case. But then I consider the date of the filing, some obvious things like perimeter, graphical, etc. that are obvious, and WebOS use of a notification system that Android looks to have copied (except that it's on top instead of on the bottom.
    Google or Apple may have licensed from Palm/HP as far as we know. Something strikes me as off about Google's patent in regards to being able to sue Apple but I can't quite express it in words. If it comes to me I'll try to state it clearly.
  • Reply 37 of 448
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ikki View Post

I did not realize how awesome the Galaxy Nexus is, but if Apple is that worried about this phone. I will definitely have to go check it out. Thanks for letting me know Apple!

Just a so-so first post troll. We'll give you another week or so to get your act together but then we take the gloves off.
  • Reply 38 of 448
    I dont think the Samsung Galaxy Nexus will be a danger to iPhone .
  • Reply 39 of 448
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    What if Samsung stops making the A4, A5 and A6? Wont this pretty much halt all Apple sales? this is getting out of hands.
  • Reply 40 of 448
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Just a so-so first post troll. We'll give you another week or so to get your act together but then we take the gloves off.

Yes but what a sad state for google/android that people are coming here to learn of new products. Lawl!