Apple now offers basic 13-in. $999 MacBook Air to education buyers

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    Whoops
  • Reply 22 of 26
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    I hope they will also do a educational low price iPad to go with there textbook program.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    It's things like this that really makes Apple come across as a complete shitheads.

2 gigs of ram not upgradable is fckn joke. Period.

Apple KNOWS this is not usable at ALL!

But they pretend to be doing the consumer a favor. LOL

spare your flames lol

I'm a fanboy. Just pointing out the obvious.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

You're right, in that I haven't used an air with 2GB. The one I own has 4. I've used Lion with 2, and noticed issues with responsiveness. I doubt the Air is somehow immune from this, as the SSD can't solve everything if ram is lacking.

Actually it kind of can-- the slowdown from low ram comes from page outs to the slow disc. Speed up that disc performance and the penalty for being starved for ram is noticeably reduced.

That's not to say more ram wouldn't make it snappier, but typically there's a point at which performance becomes good enough to not worry about. Faster than that you might go "Holy shit this is one fast machine", but at the sweet spot you're also not going "damn, this thing is a dog."

Given all that the decision to go with 2GB of ram seems pretty typically Apple-- despite appearing "stingy" and running contrary to the sensibilities of the computer savvy, Apple's just looking at all over user experience, specs be damned. If they get a decent experience out of 2GB, well, there you go.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

If the classroom uses the iCloud for storage of documents, it will make it easier for the instructors to push their documents to the students and retrieve the students' finished assignments as well.

There are laws regarding children's use of the internet, especially if they're going to be creating any kind of material themselves. Parents of kids under 13 typically have to give their permission, and with many reputable companies that means sending a signed document by postal mail or fax, giving verified CC info, email with digital signature, etc. Not likely to happen in your average elementary/middle school. There are also other (lighter) restrictions for children aged 13-17.

Somehow it doesn't seem like this would fly in most schools, although I could see some private schools forcing parents to "comply, or else".
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by voodooru View Post

spare your flames lol

I'm a fanboy. Just pointing out the obvious.

I agree with you, Apple needs to be putting in 4G as standard these days across the range, otherwise Lion does a bit of a Vista.

(However, tech companies are famous for never giving an inch on Ram).