British network allegedly warns Apple again not to use 'iTV' name [u]

Comments

• Reply 61 of 127
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iConrail View Post

Of course, I agree fully. ITV clearly need to just accept the new reality of the situation and begin the process of finding a new name.

By the way I've just registered iConrail. I'd appreciate it if you would stop using your account and register a new name now, thanks.

Haha, zing!

I hope you got he was being sarcastic, right?
  • Reply 62 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Some China cities order halt of iPad sales

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8DD3AX20120213

Apple's iPad Trademark Case In China Is Getting Even Uglier

http://www.businessinsider.com/down-...ampaign=recirc

Chinese City Confiscates iPads As Trademark Fight Continues

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2...ght-continues/

Do you event read the articles or just the headlines?? (besides being gloriously off-topic??)

In the Reuters article:

Quote:

Reuters could not independently confirm the reports and Chinese officials and Apple in China were not immediately available for comment

Josh' blog is a bit better, but that's beside the point - right? All the speculation is just that in terms of impact. Whether this is an actual impact or Proview trying to get some advantage in negotiating it's position on the iPad moniker.

And "Business Insider" home of the incredible Henry Blodget, and sponsor of the China Hearsay blog by Stan Abrams. The fact that Stan can't seem to wrap his head around why a handful of iPads were pulled from some resellers in a smaller city, when the BAIC could have stepped in and hit the Apple Retail Store in Beijing speaks volumes to the academic nature of his background, not to mention essentially "Laowai/Gweilo" in terms of the culture. He apparently is not a business insider in Beijing, or else he would have been able to predict the nature of the response and why Proview went with smaller hits. And why BAIC is reluctant to step into this mess.

I am not disputing the facts on the ground in this case only the speculation that this is somehow "big news". It ain't. The Beijing Store being hit by the BAIC would be big news, not this. How about getting back on topic now??
  • Reply 63 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrFreeman View Post

I personally prefer Apple TV as oppose to iTV. I think the former is a much nicer name!

I think if they were going to change the name to anything it would be iTunesTV but that's a mouthful so they will likely stay with Apple TV.
  • Reply 64 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I bet ITV execs wouldn't be so "furious" if Apple offered them $100 million to share the trademark.

I don't see Apple offering them that much, but I do hope they offer them something because iTV is clearly the only just name to give such a product.
  • Reply 65 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

It is happening today. Reuters reported it 3 hours ago. Why do you call that "old"?

And so what if it is. ThreadJacking much aren't we.
  • Reply 66 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haywood View Post

They'll just buy the name like they did with Cisco. Many people don't know this, but the iPhone name actually belonged to Linksys. Cisco purchased Linksys and Apple paid an undisclosed amount of money to Cisco to buy the name. They even announced the iPhone name before the deal was closed. Having more money than any company in the world allows you to do that!

You might want to do some more research because you left out a huge hunk of info. Like the fact that Cisco had abandoned the mark the for several months and was literally days away from losing it completely when they tried to reclaim it because Apple wanted it. And the courts saw their action for what it was and said they would have to share with Apple.

That kind of mark abandonment hasn't happened with iTV. It is owned and being used actively and has been for years. So the two are in fact not at all similar.
  • Reply 67 of 127
    Hmm. I don't seem to recall Apple releasing a product called "iTV", much less announcing a product with that monicker. In fact, the only similar product is called "AppleTV".

So why all the hubbub?

Did I miss the memo where we're now utilizing the services of precogs ala Minority Report? Did a wooden ball come rolling down that says "iTV"?
  • Reply 68 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I don't see Apple offering them that much, but I do hope they offer them something because iTV is clearly the only just name to give such a product.

I expect ITV would do a deal, but the amount would be starting at $2b for the name (that's assuming ITV is worth under $5b as an entity) because it is a 56 year old brand that broadcasts to over 60 million people - and possibly more in the future if they have internet distribution plans beyond national itv player software on various systems. There is always a price, it's just whether anyone would pay that price.
  • Reply 69 of 127
    Prediction:

It's called Apple Cinema TV
  • Reply 70 of 127
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

The simple and obvious solution is for ITV to change it's name.

I'm not sure how many people on this planet would confuse a physical TV sold world wide by the largest company on earth with a tv station in a small island off the coast of Europe?
  • Reply 71 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Prediction:

It occurs to me it could be AppleTV and Apple change the current AppleTV to AirportTV.
  • Reply 72 of 127
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

It occurs to me it could be AppleTV and Apple change the current AppleTV to AirportTV.

Why? The Airport and the Apple TV are in no way similar devices and don't even perform similar functions.
  • Reply 73 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diddy View Post

Why? The Airport and the Apple TV are in no way similar devices and don't even perform similar functions.

I didn't say they did, I was simply suggesting Apple already have a great name for their new TV but it is in use by themselves and this could be solved by renaming the Apple TV. Sorry I thought what I said was self explanatory.
  • Reply 74 of 127
    iDisplay

iPortal

iTheater

iCinema

iHub

iCanSeeYou

...oh wait, the last one is the name of Google's soon-to-be-announced competing offering, complete with a new "privacy" statement
  • Reply 75 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

I expect ITV would do a deal, but the amount would be starting at $2b for the name (that's assuming ITV is worth under $5b as an entity) because it is a 56 year old brand that broadcasts to over 60 million people - and possibly more in the future if they have internet distribution plans beyond national itv player software on various systems. There is always a price, it's just whether anyone would pay that price.

Yeah, they have a market cap of slightly under £5B, but a more important figure is their cash, which is likely around £150M. If Apple offered them 50+M they'd be stupid not to accept it. After all this a physical product, not a channel. Apple should just name it iTV and then challenge them in court. They don't make hardware after all.
  • Reply 76 of 127
    Quote:

Prediction:

Prediction:

Haha.
  • Reply 77 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

The market value of itv is about $3.7b

I think iView would be more likely than a silly bun fight with itv they couldn't win, so probably wouldn't start in the first place.

$4.9B actually.
  • Reply 78 of 127
    Quote:

Prediction:

Nice call. That sounds like a fantastic name IMO.
  • Reply 79 of 127
    8002580025 Posts: 175member
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;2044330]As rumors of an Apple television set continue to swirl, Britain's ITV network has reportedly warned Apple that its name is off-limits [updated].

Apple anticipated television has been called the "iTV" by some pundits, following the same branding as Apple's other popular products like the iPhone and iPad. The rumors and speculation have apparently been enough,

Sorry, iTV but unless and until Apple calls their produce/service iTV you don't have reason to complain. So far it's rumor and speculation, and you can't file suit and/or claim damages based on that alone. Anticipatory litigation for what you 'think' will happen isn't possible.

Another non-news article of minimal value. Time to move on...
  • Reply 80 of 127
    Why not go with iTelevision. The name is different, but the public will still refer to it as iTV because its just easier to say or write. And since Apple is not responsible for a nickname applied by the public, they will have effectively usurped the name iTV without any legal consequences. Personally, I'm not 100% sure there will be an Apple branded television in the near future ( possible,yes - probable, maybe), and if there is, I believe they'll stick with the name Apple TV.