Worker abuse petitions to be delivered Thursday at Apple's Grand Central store

1234568»

Comments

• Reply 141 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Uhhh.... Flashbacks... FLASHBACKS...

There's more inside information revealed in that <4min video than in the 28 years of Apple that followed.
  • Reply 142 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AmazingApple View Post

You do realize that Apple IS leading they way in making improvements, don't you?! Or do you?

I do not understand why the focus among the protesters is not against the other companies that are not working as hard as Apple is for improvements. The protesters should be taking hard looks at Samsung, HTC, Motorola and the like and asking yourselves, exactly why aren't these companies working as hard as Apple is?? Why are these companies getting the "free pass"? It takes a coordinated effort of all companies conducting business with Chinese manufactures, NOT JUST ONE.

Apple is already leading the way.

Why did people complain about Nike when they could have gone after Asics?

Because you go after the one that CAN change things, not the guy at the bottom that has no chips to bargain with.

If you lot were around during the French revolution you'd undoubtedly be the loyalists, demanding that nothing ever change.

"Louis XVI has already given us EVERYTHING. What did Louis XV or XIV ever do? It's time we lie down and never ask for any progress ever again. We need to close our minds and hearts and just take the very minimum that the crown is prepared to offer, because Louis XVI is the one finally making changes!"

That is essentially your argument. You guys are the "Press your lips and take it" crew. I hope you're the minority, because otherwise things are likely to just keep getting worse.
  • Reply 143 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

Because you go after the one that CAN change things, not the guy at the bottom that has no chips to bargain with.

All of the computer manufacturers have the ability to change things. Don't think otherwise. Doing so allows them to pretend they're absolved of any work.

Quote:

I hope you're the minority, because otherwise things are likely to just keep getting worse.

Other than the fact that it has always been getting better and that Apple has always been improving conditions, yeah.
  • Reply 144 of 160
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    It's incredibly easy to sign a petition supporting allegations of worker abuse in China whilst still in your skivvies and sipping a latté.

I suppose this Shields fellow is simply out to make a name for himself and alleged human suffering is just the ticket he needs.
  • Reply 145 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dualie View Post

It's incredibly easy to sign a petition supporting allegations of worker abuse in China whilst still in your skivvies and sipping a latté.

I suppose this Shields fellow is simply out to make a name for himself and alleged human suffering is just the ticket he needs.

I think Shields best bet would be to take his petition to China and also include demonstrations outside the Foxconn site.
  • Reply 146 of 160
    This whole thing looks like a job for Muttonchops Steve Jobs and his sidekick, iMan!

• Reply 147 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kaeth View Post

What? That doesn't make sense. Apple elitists who have the money to pour into a new iphone every 18 months are not the people who would otherwise be making minimum wage in an apple processing factory...

"Apple elitists"?

• Reply 148 of 160
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member

Quote:

[/Change.org member Sarah Ryan hand-delivers a box filled with signatures to an Apple employee at the Grand Central Terminal store in Manhattan.

Quote:

Activist and Change.org director Shelby Knox said she was dressed as an 'ethical iPhone.' The phone's ethics weren't apparent in the costume.

Quote:

Change.org members showing off their signage ahead of delivering the box of petition signatures.

• Reply 149 of 160
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DeanSolecki View Post

Why did people complain about Nike when they could have gone after Asics?

If you lot were around during the French revolution you'd undoubtedly be the loyalists, demanding that nothing ever change.

"Louis XVI has already given us EVERYTHING. What did Louis XV or XIV ever do? It's time we lie down and never ask for any progress ever again. We need to close our minds and hearts and just take the very minimum that the crown is prepared to offer, because Louis XVI is the one finally making changes!"

That is essentially your argument. You guys are the "Press your lips and take it" crew. I hope you're the minority, because otherwise things are likely to just keep getting worse.

That's certainly not my argument. My argument is that issues of economic injustice are best dealt with by looking at root causes, not just hammering a symptom.

Your (actually pretty ridiculous) comparison to pre-revolutionary France is telling. What if the beginning and end of the revolution had been to demand concessions from Louis XVI? What if Louis the XVI had capitulated, and taken some slight measures to ease the suffering of France's poor, while doing nothing at all to change the system of power and allocation of wealth that engendered that suffering in the first place?

Even if Apple went crazy and just lavished cash on Foxconn's employees, somehow convinced the Chinese government to intercede directly in the China's affairs by by creating some kind of "Apple Town" with sharply different levels of comfort and services from the economy at large, and, what the hell, instigated direct democracy within the workplace in a way that no where else in China enjoys, it would do next to nothing to address the endemic problems that are the result of larger economic forces, Chinese domestic policy, etc.

I'm struck by how none of the people arguing for Apple to step up seem to have much interest or concern about those larger problems. How would Apple's response fit into any larger scheme? What would that scheme look like? Without the larger plan, anything Apple could do would be merely a gesture. Gestures are fine (and would certainly benefit a tiny fraction of Chinese workers) but it's not really responding the actual problem.
  • Reply 150 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

The Apple employee is thinking that the petition is an enormous waste of paper and is wondering how long it will take to shred that sucker.

The guy beside him is wondering if Sarah is single and wasn't interested in Chinese working conditions at all when he signed up.
  • Reply 151 of 160
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    What a disgusting waste of paper.

EDIT: Beaten.

Oh, and love this part:

Quote:

Observers say there were far more press in attendance than actual protestors, but that the mission — to hand deliver the signatures of more than 250,000 people — was accomplished.

CNET’s Roger Cheng was at the petition hand off at Apple’s store in New York’s Grand Central Terminal and took photos.

Cheng also reports that Apple “was ready” for the representatives of Change.org and SumOfUs.org, the groups who organized the event. In all, there were a”little more than a dozen supporters” who showed up, some holding up signs depicting an “ethical iPhone.” The Change.org representative who delivered the signatures to an Apple employee told him that the employees of the store “were very polite.”

More press than supporters, which numbered like a dozen. That's the best they could do? The very definition of a manufactured outrage media circle jerk. As an aside, what the fuck is an ethical iPhone? A jumbo iPhone? One that's manufactured by well payed unicorns who swim in honey?I don't get it.
  • Reply 152 of 160
    Has anyone listened to this podcast at:

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...-apple-factory

Mike Daisy has interviewed ex staff at the Foxcon factory in Shenzhen.
  • Reply 153 of 160
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Has anyone considered that the suicides could be the work of a clever serial killer? The Foxconn Killer has a good sound to it.
  • Reply 154 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Has anyone considered that the suicides could be the work of a clever serial killer? The Foxconn Killer has a good sound to it.

... or maybe Foxconn jobs are so much better than most employment in China that Chinese gangs are creating openings for their relatives.
  • Reply 155 of 160
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Apple should sue these people for copyright infringement?

(the icons and iMessage stuff)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

• Reply 156 of 160
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

I had an uncle who was the victim of an assisted suicide.
  • Reply 157 of 160
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lilgto64 View Post

I had an uncle who was the victim of an assisted suicide.

That's sad but what does this have to do with SolipsismX's comments?
  • Reply 158 of 160
    Quote:

Maybe not a serial killer:

• Reply 159 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Maybe not a serial killer:

image: http://beijingdoll.files.wordpress.c...iquit-hang.jpg

That's awful yet I can't help but laugh.
  • Reply 160 of 160
    Quote:

That's awful yet I can't help but laugh.

I know; felt the same way. Although I didn't lugh before I say that iPod dangling there.

Here's a bet err one, without getting that awkward feeling: