Apple reportedly squeezing supplier to stop building MacBook Air clones from Asus

Comments

• Reply 101 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

But Apple isn't giving their product away to stiffle competion, they are threatening to take their business away. That sounds like the complete opposite thing MS did.

Now I see how one could argue that Apple is stifling competition with this maneuver but one could also argue that Apple giving more room to Pegatron to pursue other customers actually permits more competition to take place.

What I don't get is why Apple isn't all up in Intel's business for creating the MBA clone reference models.

Maybe they are. But they can't really walk away from Intel now.
  • Reply 102 of 165
    Personally I think the Air and Zenbook look similar, definately not the same.

I don't think Apple can patent using metal, making something incredibly thin (thus suggesting it's form), and using a chiclet keyboard (which is in fashion).

They have differentiated the product with a circular brushed metal lid, different overall colours, and slightly different form. Laptops these days are becoming so minimilist, I fail to see how Apple can patent being minimal, or owning the Bauhaus art movement.

The MacBook Air was another slight progression, in the long history of laptop evolution, it wasn't spawned as a new entity. Those who have followed all laptop manufactures over the years, would be able to see the chain of influence, and while the Air brought a new step, was nothing particularly remarkable - and in no way should Apple own the super thin metal laptop market.
  • Reply 103 of 165
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member
    Quote:

Your sarcastic analogy would be equivalent to "you mean have a display and a keyboard with a hinged lid with ports on the side?" Surely you can see the difference.

so how other than a tapered shape is this infringing on the MBA?
  • Reply 104 of 165
    Quote:

What I don't get is why Apple isn't all up in Intel's business for creating the MBA clone reference models.

The day those were presented, Tim Cook simply mass e-mailed everyone at Intel this image.

No text, just the image.
  • Reply 105 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

I found the performance improvements over Snow Leopard justify using Lion alone and thats without getting into how much better it works on Notebooks.

Not been my experience. http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...-head-to-head/
  • Reply 106 of 165
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

so how other than a tapered shape is this infringing on the MBA?

Your argument is a straw man. II'm not saying it's "infringing." The comment you referred to specifically mentioned a Mercedes but your analogy was to rudimentary to be accurate in any way. You mentioned basic things a road vehicle would have (not necessarily a car) which is really more inline with any PC or CE. It has a CPU, RAM, storage, a method for input and output. That's the equivalent. These new Ultrabooks are taking the Mercedes look and then trying to find something similar yet not necessarily infringing. The Kia Armanti is more inline with what Asus is doing with Intel's Ultrabook base designs.
  • Reply 107 of 165
    What's interesting is that Intel's Ultrabook approach is largely deemed as Macbook Air clones, but even the closest hardware, the Zenbook I don't find to be a clone.

Others ultrabooks like these, also show further innovation, not cloning, so it's unfair to call it a clone industry.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-r5Maf9HVNG...g-9-Series.jpg

http://www.laptopspec.net/wp-content...-ultrabook.jpg
  • Reply 108 of 165
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

I have no power to tell you what to write.

I agree with you 100%. I never suggested that Israel would be a potential low cost manufacturing location. My point was only that you cannot sanitize a topic of the name Israel just because you don't like the direction the discussion is going. The immature, off topic, politically charged remarks are an unfortunate reality around here.
  • Reply 109 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Except, Apple isnt curtailing who benefits from the assembly line. They are simply saying that if a competitors is using that same assembly line, they will choose to go to another assembly line.

Yep, that would be true but maybe not significant. As Apple has graphically shown over the past 10 years that which matters most keeps changing at a brisk pace. Does Pegatron want to continue at the leading edge or just manufacture for all those companies that watch others and then try to "innovate" (where innovate could be a synonym for copy in this context) before the market leaves them behind again? It is also probably worth noting that Pegatron was split off from Asus a few years ago. Apple would not need to be too paranoid to suspect some shady business is going on.
  • Reply 110 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fredaroony View Post

I dont think this is true for Snow Leopard but Lion is a total joke. Every time I've tried Lion I always revert back to Snow Leopard.

Performance of Lion is abysmal on ALL my Macs. Granted I don't have a current generation Mac:

17" MBP (Mid 2009) C2D 2.8, 4GB RAM

27" iMAC (Mid 2010) Core i5, 12GB RAM

13" MacBook Air (Late 2010) C2D 1.8, 4GB RAM

Lion was clean installed on all of them. No upgrades. All computers start to feel progressively more laggy and unresponsive after an hour or two of use. I don't really use any heavy resource intensive apps: Chrome, Apple Mail, BB Edit, Transmit, Numbers, Pages, iTunes.

Snow Leopard performs much better on all of the machines. And Windows 7 runs far better than Lion on the iMac that's for sure.

The reason why sticking with Snow Leopard is not really a viable option for me forward is iCloud. I want all my devices to be able to talk to each other. iCloud isn't coming to Snow Leopard. It's Lion or Windows my only choices. So far I'm running Windows 7 as the only OS on my iMac and I must say the experience is not horrible. I have no intention of trying to run Windows on my MacBook Air because of keyboard and trackpad issues.
  • Reply 111 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The day those were presented, Tim Cook simply mass e-mailed everyone at Intel this image.

No text, just the image.

It took me more than a few seconds to see the three chilling letters that must have caused Intel executives to lose sleep that night. That is hilarious.
  • Reply 112 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

It took me more than a few seconds to see the three chilling letters that must have caused Intel executives to lose sleep that night. That is hilarious.

why? os x on ARM? ha ha. good luck with that. os x lion is pathetic on the AIR with the new intel chips what makes you it will run worth a dang on ARM? not going to happen in the next couple of years.

oh, and rewriting/compiling all of the current os x apps to run on ARM too?

a dumb move like that would be something MS would try to do...oh...wait....FAIL
  • Reply 113 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

why? os x on ARM? ha ha. good luck with that.

It already runs on ARM.

Quote:

os x lion is pathetic on the AIR with the new intel chips what makes you it will run worth a dang on ARM?

Our ability to not be completely mired in anti-Apple nonsense.

Quote:

not going to happen in the next couple of years.

Not as a viable retail product, no. But as an ever-present threat to Intel if they let their release schedule or performance increases fall to IBM's standard? Of course.

Quote:

a dumb move like that would be something MS would try to do...oh...wait....FAIL

How do you know it has failed when Windows 8 isn't even out yet?
  • Reply 114 of 165
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:

What's up with all the warts on Phil Schiller's face?
  • Reply 115 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What's up with all the warts on Phil Schiller's face?

No idea. You'd figure he'd get them frozen until you realize where they are and how much more that would hurt than if they were just on a foot or palm or something.
  • Reply 116 of 165
    If the govt. will check APPLE for what they are doing now in tech. world - theres lots of grounds for them on being in hot water.

Also to the writer - go to wikipedia to check whats the meaning of cloning - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloning

I have macbook air and i personally put them side by side and theres is no cloning or whatever is happening...

STOP WRITING IF TOU DONT KNOW THE BASIC MEANING OF CLONING...
  • Reply 117 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Real Innovator View Post

If the govt. will check APPLE for what they are doing now in tech. world - theres lots of grounds for them on being in hot water.

Also to the writer - go to wikipedia to check whats the meaning of cloning - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloning

I have macbook air and i personally put them side by side and theres is no cloning or whatever is happening...

TOU? Who is TOU, and why is his/her name forever locked in caps?
  • Reply 118 of 165
    tcaseytcasey Posts: 199member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

Not sure who's going to win in that scenario. Well, let's see, Samsung loses $10B from Apple, or $10B less from Samsung's last year gross, $150B (about 6.6% of all sales), but the demand from its mobile units (growing at 230+%/year) makes up for the lost order. Other mobile manufacturers no longer have to wait for phone components or delay their product release.

For Apple, in the meanwhile, there would be major shortages in everything from display, mobile cpus, nand flash. High defect/low yield rates from LG and other Asian fabs and pricey components from aging Japanese manufacturers erodes Apple's margin and reputation. Apple's new semi fabs would cost $90B and at least 5 years to get up to Samsung's yield rate. (* $90B figure based on Samsung semi unit's annual capital investment, $15B in 2011 alone, reportedly $45B in 2012 *).

Now, that doesn't add up. Samsung doesn't sound that desperate to be honest. Let T. Cook do his work.

Samsung does not need apple clearly,but if android gets brought to it's knee's then Samsung will need to start to look elsewhere for a android replace maybe microsoft or even there own...just don't think long term samsung will win this war.
  • Reply 119 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Real Innovator View Post

What, like the Motorola patent thing or the accusations of stifling manufacturing of competitors' stuff?

Other than that, for what are they in trouble?

Quote:

Always the literalist.
  • Reply 120 of 165
    Quote:

It already runs on ARM.

Our ability to not be completely mired in anti-Apple nonsense.

Not as a viable retail product, no. But as an ever-present threat to Intel if they let their release schedule or performance increases fall to IBM's standard? Of course.

How do you know it has failed when Windows 8 isn't even out yet?

define 'run' and show me where os x is running on ARM? i ain't talking about Darwin or IOS.

2014 before any 64bit ARM chips (probably at best)

any porting of a full blown os like 7/8 or os x would be only for 'neato' factor. even if it was done and available now the performance would soon have you not using the device. Can anyone say 'Atom'??