Apple's latest patent suit against Samsung seen as its strongest case yet

Comments

• Reply 21 of 144
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AnOldAplGuy View Post

As our great moderator states, Troll comments summed up in a few short wafts of halitosis infused effluence, AKA Troll Post.... I read often but post in a most circumscribed manner, and while it is interesting to read the real threads, I find it most amusing that there are some in attendance for such puerile banality, that it leads one to believe they are in a most dire and severe need of coitus!

OH, and maybe re-locate from living in their mommy's basement!

You make fun of "puerile banality" just to end your comment with a slam about living in a basement and not having sex is in discordance of your contrafribblarities. I'd hate for you be anuspeptic, phrasmotic, or even compunctious to have caused you such pericombobulation.

PS: Using $5 words doesn't work unless you also possess the ability to present them in the appropriate sentence structure.
  • Reply 22 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by techno View Post

Are you just trolling through?

Because I didn't add anything to the conversation... much like your post?

My attempt was at humour, was yours? Now whether I achieved that goal is another issue.
  • Reply 23 of 144
    Is it a slow news day or something? This story just got recycled from 2/10.

For anyone that has gone through the patent process they will know that the patents granted are quite restrictive. You have to go into multiple details on why your invention is different which narrows your patent's function before it will be granted.

For example the slide to unlock. You move your finger in a predetermined motion, left to right, and then "boom" you unlock your phone. This is so you don't unlock your phone accidentally. I have the ipod touch so I see how this works first hand.

I also have a Samsung Galaxy S2. With regards to their unlocking feature it isn't as predetermine but dictated by a certain motion that isn't accidental. I can slide from right to left, diagonally, make a J shaped motion, make a V motion, etc and it will unlock.

I doubt most of these patents can hold their weight and even if they do, it can be easily worked around like HTC with the highlighting of a phone number or Samsung with their 10.1N tablet.

It's not like it's an essential FRAND but that's for another story.
  • Reply 24 of 144
    [insult removed]
  • Reply 25 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, we missed one. "Apple suing is wrong, everyone else suing Apple is right."

You just validated my point. You are so emotionally attached to Apple that you feel they're always right, and everyone else is always wrong.

Litigation like this is nonsense.

Slide to unlock has been around forever.

Patenting a method of transferring bits in order to relay data? Yes, that is absolutely every digital device in existence.

Everyone knows these types of patents (and patent cases) are bogus.
  • Reply 26 of 144
    Quote:

Obviously, you do not know how to read or write, "I'd hate for you be", come on.... Bring it! Imbecile, maybe you should go watch a re-run of Fat Albert...

You might want to form your responses without calling people names.
  • Reply 27 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You make fun of "puerile banality" just to end your comment with a slam about living in a basement and not having sex is in discordance of your contrafribblarities. I'd hate for you be anuspeptic, phrasmotic, or even compunctious to have caused you such pericombobulation.

PS: Using $5 words doesn't work unless you also possess the ability to present them in the appropriate sentence structure.

Your manifest persiflage exacerbates his discomfiture!
  • Reply 28 of 144
    Quote:

You might want to form your responses without calling people names.

You might want to critique from a perspective of knowledge then....
  • Reply 29 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Getting an injunction of any kind in the United States is pretty hard, and winning a preliminary one is much harder than that.

This case may move forward, but I doubt an injunction is coming anytime soon.

I agree.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

The comical part of this forum is that if the reverse was in gear, and Google (or any of Android's manufacturers) were suing Apple, you would all cry foul.

In fact, when those manufacturers do press litigation back at Apple, you all cry foul.

You all? I'm sorry but this is an internet forum not the Borg. If Google came up with software or bit of technology that was patented with no prior art and Apple infringed upon it, I'd say sue away. Why? Because using someone else's work without permission is wrong (imo) and I'm also confident that Apple would either make it's own workaround or come up with something even better and make the old implementation seem clunky (btw THAT'S how innovation comes about and NOT sitting on your hands letting your competitors infringe on your work).
  • Reply 30 of 144
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:

Apple needs to innovate not litigate.

Apple is afraid of any real competition.

Apple can't compete on a level playing field.

Apple must be scared that Android is winning.

Did I miss any of the typical lame talking points?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yep.

Apple will be out of the cell phone business by the end of the year, so it's a moot point, anyway.

Apple copied everything from Android, so how dare they sue?

Patents shouldn't be allowed. They interfere with competition.

Nice check list; excellent preemptive arguments, too. Apple is not at fault for doing everything necessary to preserve its profit margins. The latter would not be possible if Apple would easily allow other manufacturers, whether legally or illegally, compete with Apple for customers, either by copying Apple's products, or by making their own original products, that fulfill equally well, worse, or better, the same needs for the potential customers. Apple's behavior is economically justified, supported by the law, logical, and quite likely smarter than anyone else's.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Oh, and in every single thread about this stuff, these two images remain relevant.

<meaningless collages removed>

You see how different and interesting phones and tablets were before the iPhone and iPad, respectively?

THEY WERE ALL INNOVATING BACK THEN. ALL OF THEM. As much as all of those devices sucked, that was the golden age of innovation.

Now ONE company is. ONE. And people still whine that Apple should "focus on innovating instead of suing".

Are you implying that the superficial similarities between Apple's current products and those of Apple's competitors, along with the superficial differences among the previous products of Apple's competitors, have any deeper meaning than being superficial similarities, or superficial differences? Do you understand that correlation does not imply causation? If you do, why would you waste screen space with the same old meaningless collage?
  • Reply 31 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Braden99 View Post

Also one tablet that really should be on this list, is the HP Slate, demostrated a week before iPad 1 release.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/06/the-hp-slate/

Do you not recall how everyone knew Apple was releasing a tablet, and how everyone was rushing to beat them to it? That looks exactly like a large iPhone, chrome trim and all, which is what many speculated the the unnamed Apple tablet would look like.
  • Reply 32 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Do you not recall how everyone knew Apple was releasing a tablet, and how everyone was rushing to beat them to it? That looks exactly like a large iPhone, chrome trim and all, which is what many speculated the the unnamed Apple tablet would look like.

Yeah but their are definately design elements from earlier Windows slates, that suggest this HP slate could have evoved from them, irrespective whether the iPhone and iPad came out

I use to follow all the Sony Pulse magazines, watching all the designs for stereos, televisions, laptops etc change over the years. I can see just as much influence from some of Sony products in the HP slate, as I can to the unreleased iPad (at that point in time)
  • Reply 33 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

Do you understand that correlation does not imply causation? If you do, why would you waste screen space with the same old meaningless collage?

That phrase really seems out of place, and the fact that you used such a phrase in conjunction with your monicker "Dr" implies that you're trying to look smart.
  • Reply 34 of 144
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Using $5 words doesn't work unless you also possess the ability to present them in the appropriate sentence structure.

Actually, $5 words are now only worth $3 due to the recent economic downturn and the ubiquitous availability of Wikipedia and Google.
  • Reply 35 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Braden99 View Post

Yeah but their are definately design elements from earlier Windows slates, that suggest this HP slate could have evoved from them, irrespective whether the iPhone and iPad came out

Not really, other than being a rectangle. I see no collage of physical buttons nor a stylus.

Also, many tablets you showed were released after 2007, when the iPhone was released. Given the similarities in style and design between the iPhone and iPad (and modern tablet offerings), you can't really say that the Slate was not influenced by Apple's choice of industrial design.
  • Reply 36 of 144
    Quote:

You just validated my point. You are so emotionally attached to Apple that you feel they're always right, and everyone else is always wrong.

Litigation like this is nonsense.

Slide to unlock has been around forever.

Patenting a method of transferring bits in order to relay data? Yes, that is absolutely every digital device in existence.

Everyone knows these types of patents (and patent cases) are bogus.

I owned many a device before the iPhone, and none utilized the slide-to-unlock method of unlocking the device.

I'm sorry, I thought the tired argument is that slide-to-unlock is too obvious. Too obvious that no one else used it on a phone/PDA.
  • Reply 37 of 144
    Quote:

To change direction, I would personally like to see a paradigm change in the industry, where when someone purchases a phone, they are free to install whatever OS on it they choose, just like one can elect to do with a computer. You shouldn't be locked in to iOS, WP7, Android, or anything else.

The olden days of energy-sucking devices, over built to accommodate bloated software is over.

Apple builds their hardware and app & OS software to work together perfectly; maximizing battery-life, responsiveness, and user experience. Why would anyone one want to put a Corvette engine in a Mack truck or a diesel engine in a Corvette?

Even Samsung, who sell phones with a different OS in them, makes a different phone for the OS.
  • Reply 38 of 144
    Quote:

As our great moderator states, Troll comments summed up in a few short wafts of halitosis infused effluence, AKA Troll Post.... I read often but post in a most circumscribed manner, and while it is interesting to read the real threads, I find it most amusing that there are some in attendance for such puerile banality, that it leads one to believe they are in a most dire and severe need of coitus!

OH, and maybe re-locate from living in their mommy's basement!

Where is Samuel L. Jackson to tell you to speak ENGLISH?

Do you have a thesaurus sewn to your arm?
  • Reply 39 of 144
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Not really, other than being a rectangle. I see no collage of physical buttons nor a stylus.

Also, many tablets you showed were released after 2007, when the iPhone was released. Given the similarities in style and design between the iPhone and iPad (and modern tablet offerings), you can't really say that the Slate was not influenced by Apple's choice of industrial design.

It's funny how defensive Apple fans (or possibly shareholders) are of the almighty Apple. I love a range of different devices across the years, from a vareity of manufactuers, but I understand the process of design, nothing is created in a perfectly insulated vacuum chamber - including the iPhone and iPad.
  • Reply 40 of 144
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member
    I love that with an almost complete absence of trolling in this thread (headed off in the first three posts!) that it has still managed to descend into puerile bickering with no real content!

I think we need the Samsung/Android shills or we start eating our own!