Rumor: iPad 3 to be announced on March 7

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014


With iPad 3 rumors aswirl and a veritable barrage of purported component pictures finding their way to the web, many are guessing that the launch of Apple's newest tablet is imminent, and new whispers suggest that the date will be March 7.



Citing a "reliable source," Apple blog iMore on Monday claimed that the much anticipated iPad 3 announcement will take place on Wednesday, March 7, which jibes with a previous report from All Things D that said an iPad event was being scheduled for the first week in March.



Lending further credence to the new claim is Apple's tradition of holding events such as major product launches on Wednesdays and a recent report that big-box retailer Meijer is offering a deep discount on the iPad 2 "while supplies last."



Anecdotal evidence that Apple resellers run low on stock of a certain product can sometimes offer a hint that a replacement or next generation device is soon to arrive.



The new iPad is rumored to carry a high-res Retina Display, possibly manufactured by Sharp, as well as a redesigned case that could allow for a larger battery than current models. It was reported that in order to implement the high pixel density screen, a unique dual LED backlighting arrangement would be needed, and the larger battery could be in response to the extra energy requirements.



Earlier today, photos emerged of an alleged iPad 3 that was almost fully assembled, and purportedly shows some minor design tweaks as well as the speculated QXGA 9.7-inch display.



What remains to be seen is whether the device's expected A6 processor will sport a new quad-core architecture or merely boost the specs of the iPad 2's A5 chip. Also up in the air is whether the new iPad will gain 4G wireless functionality, which will allow the tablet to connect with LTE networks such as those from Verizon and AT&T.



[ View article on AppleInsider ]

«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 58
    Dig it!
  • Reply 2 of 58
    I buy it.



    The rumor, that is. I won't be getting an iPad.



    Announcement on the 7th, preorders that day, iPad 2 drops to $399, release second week of April.
  • Reply 3 of 58
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,339member
    Wednesday, March 7! Bring it on! My wallet is ready!



    This rumor is true.
  • Reply 4 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    ...release second week of April.



    I see your "2nd week of April" and raise you Friday, March 30th.
  • Reply 5 of 58
    Isnt Tuesday the typical Apple announce day?
  • Reply 6 of 58
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 11,890member
    Rumored specs are certainly better than my iPad 2





    Guys we're finally at the level were mobile versions of FCPX and Aperture are possible.
  • Reply 7 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post


    Isnt Tuesday the typical Apple announce day?



    Not so much anymore.



    As for the reliable source, five will get you ten that it's the Yerba Buena calendar which has nothing for March 7 and the previous rumors about 'early march'
  • Reply 8 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    I see your "2nd week of April" and raise you Friday, March 30th.



    I see your Friday, March 30th and raise you Friday, March 16th as official release date and pre-order date (if there is one) on March 9th.
  • Reply 9 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tru_canuk View Post


    I see your Friday, March 30th and raise you Friday, March 16th as official release date and pre-order date (if there is one) on March 9th.



    The best part about the Apple Optimism Lottery?



    The pessimist takes the pot.
  • Reply 10 of 58
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,339member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tru_canuk View Post


    I see your Friday, March 30th and raise you Friday, March 16th as official release date and pre-order date (if there is one) on March 9th.



    And I re-raise both of you, and I'm throwing all of my chips into the middle of the table and I'm betting on March 7. I'm all in! Loopinsight confirms it, and when it comes to confirming or denying Apple events, they seem to be on the money.
  • Reply 11 of 58
    iPad 2S. Expect "disappointed" backlash from pundits and bloggers, before it's crowned tablet king again
  • Reply 12 of 58
    I'm guessing the iPad 2 will remain on sale as the low-cost option, but could the iPad 1 also continue to be sold, ala the 3GS?
  • Reply 13 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post


    I'm guessing the iPad 2 will remain on sale as the low-cost option, but could the iPad 1 also continue to be sold, ala the 3GS?



    It's not sold NOW, so no.
  • Reply 14 of 58
    I am soooo ready!
  • Reply 15 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    And I re-raise both of you, and I'm throwing all of my chips into the middle of the table and I'm betting on March 7. I'm all in! Loopinsight confirms it, and when it comes to confirming or denying Apple events, they seem to be on the money.



    The Loop only confirmed the announcement, not a thing about the actual release. I'd say Friday March 16 sounds about right, judging by last year's timeframe between announcement and release.
  • Reply 16 of 58
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,339member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buckeyestar View Post


    The Loop only confirmed the announcement, not a thing about the actual release. I'd say Friday March 16 sounds about right, judging by last year's timeframe between announcement and release.



    I suppose it depends how somebody reads their confirmation.



    According to sources who have been reliable in the past, Apple currently plans to hold their iPad 3 announcement on Wednesday, March 7, 2012.



    Yep.




    I take that "Yep" as meaning yes to both the announcement and the date, but I guess we'll find out.
  • Reply 17 of 58
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 11,843member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post


    Rumored specs are certainly better than my iPad 2



    Of course they are better. Wouldnt be much point it a next gen if it didn't have improvements.

    Quote:



    Guys we're finally at the level were mobile versions of FCPX and Aperture are possible.



    That remains to be seen. I don't see iPad as a place to do a one to one mapping of programs like those. The more likely course of action would be analogs that offer a different approach. In any event there is no sign yet that Apple will address the biggest issue with respect to these sorts of programs which is free RAM. I could see Apple doubling RAM in iPad 3 but still not provide the user RAM needed. Retina will eat RAM as will related app stored bit maps for the display.



    So what I'm saying is that there is not any certainty that iPad 3 will have the resources to run something like Aperture. Image processing requires lots of RAM.
  • Reply 18 of 58
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 11,843member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


    iPad 2S. Expect "disappointed" backlash from pundits and bloggers, before it's crowned tablet king again



    In a way iPad 2 was like a 1S. If Apple sticks to two year cycles for major advancements then this would be the year. For me the combination of retina and a processor powerful enough to drive it is a major upgrade.
  • Reply 19 of 58
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    Of course they are better. Wouldnt be much point it a next gen if it didn't have improvements.



    That remains to be seen. I don't see iPad as a place to do a one to one mapping of programs like those. The more likely course of action would be analogs that offer a different approach. In any event there is no sign yet that Apple will address the biggest issue with respect to these sorts of programs which is free RAM. I could see Apple doubling RAM in iPad 3 but still not provide the user RAM needed. Retina will eat RAM as will related app stored bit maps for the display.



    So what I'm saying is that there is not any certainty that iPad 3 will have the resources to run something like Aperture. Image processing requires lots of RAM.



    Don't discount FCPX or Aperture. I don't think you can exclude apps for the iPad that work in tandem with the Mac apps over WiFi or USB. It's certainly a complex undertaking but I can see how having video and images sent from a Mac to an iPad for editing could be useful for a touchscreen. The Mac would be picking up the processing, not the iPad.



    If you mean a standalone app then that will become more feasible with each new generation. We've already seen iMovie for iPhone and image editing built into iOS 5.0 Photos app.
  • Reply 20 of 58
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 11,737moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    I suppose it depends how somebody reads their confirmation.



    According to sources who have been reliable in the past, Apple currently plans to hold their iPad 3 announcement on Wednesday, March 7, 2012.



    Yep.




    I take that "Yep" as meaning yes to both the announcement and the date, but I guess we'll find out.



    Hmmm....



    A lot of interesting dates coming up:
    • Feb 23 Shareholders Meeting

    • Feb 24 Steve's Birthday

    • Feb XX 25::1 Stock Split

    • Mar 07 iPad 3 Announce/Preorder, ATV3 Announce/Available

    • Mar 23 iPad 3 Availability

    ...That clears the way for announcement of the really interesting stuff...



Sign In or Register to comment.