Apple stock hits $500 milestone

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014

Apple stock broke the $500 barrier for the first time during Monday trading, and ended the day at $502.60 which gives the world's most valuable company a substantial leg up when compared to next-closest Exxon Mobil Corp.

The Cupertino, Calif., company rallied to close up $9.18 from Friday and now has a market capitalization of roughly $465 billion, which is 17 percent more than Exxon's $400 billion. The two companies have bandied the title of world's most valuable company back and forth since August 2011, though Apple rocketed to a commanding lead in January following a record-busting holiday quarter.

As first reported by AppleInsider, Apple is now worth more than rivals Microsoft and Google combined.

Much of the company's meteoric rise can be attributed to near overwhelming demand for iOS devices like the iPhone 4S and iPad 2.

In the quarter ending in December 2011, Apple earned $13.06 billion on sales of 37 million iPhones, 15 million iPads and 5.2 million Macs. Overall revenue for the period was $46.33 billion.

During the last quarter, the iPhone saw massive profit margins that equalled 36 percent of all worldwide mobile phone revenue and 74 percent of industry EBIT on sales that accounted for only 9 percent of units sold.

The iPad was also a major player last quarter and continues to see dominating sales worldwide despite an onslaught of Android-based tablets like Samsung's Galaxy Tab and Amazon's Kindle Fire.

Apple stock pushes past $500 for first time. | Source:

Apple is poised to have another strong year that, along with the usual yearly product refreshes, is likely to include the highly-anticipated launches of an updated iPad, a possibly redesigned iPhone and a radically redesigned MacBook Pro lineup.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Soooo, the stock is going up? Hadn't noticed...
  • Reply 2 of 63
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    But it's a PC in a pricey and shiny box!

No one will every want to buy crapple products when I can build my own PC for 1/10th the price

It's an oversized iPod Touch

It's an <insert iHating, trolling, used-up anti-apple statement here that we've all heard before here>

Instead of "Where's in the world is Carmen San Diego?", there should be one titled "Where in the world is Slapppy?"

Oh... and the obligatory, the one and only... Apple is doomed.
  • Reply 3 of 63
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    You forgot: it's just a rounding error...
  • Reply 4 of 63
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Apple is getting awfully close to being double the value of MS.
  • Reply 5 of 63
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

...but far better than twice as good.
  • Reply 6 of 63
    When do you think we will see first "1 trillion dollar company" headlines? end of 2013..?? 2015..?? enjoy the ride folks....
  • Reply 7 of 63
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ko024 View Post

When do you think we will see first "1 trillion dollar company" headlines? end of 2013..?? 2015..?? enjoy the ride folks....

I have it on good authority that, at their accounting department's request, Apple have just submitted a patent on the term 'Gazillion'.
  • Reply 8 of 63
    So refreshing NOT to see AppleTV/iTV listed in upcoming products!
  • Reply 9 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

They're already equal to the value of Microsoft and Google combined. And double the worth of Samsung, HTC, LG, RIM, Nokia and Sony combined.
  • Reply 10 of 63
    straskstrask Posts: 107member
    Even after breaking the $500 barrier and this amazing run, Apple's P/E ratio is entirely average. Low, even, if you think of it as a growth company, which is kind of hard not to.
  • Reply 11 of 63
    It would be wrong of us not to mention that Apple is now worth almost 15 times as much as Dell. I'm pretty sure I don't need to point out why this has meaning.
  • Reply 12 of 63
    dcj001dcj001 Posts: 301member
    Did anyone listen to me when I said, when AAPL was $250 per share:

or:

on July 27, 2011 when AAPL was $392 per share:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

If you buy now, a year, or two, or three years from now, you can say, "I'm glad I bought AAPL."

If you don't buy AAPL now, you can keep saying what you've been saying for a long time.

You had better hurry. This could be the last time to buy AAPL under $400 per share.

Now you can buy Apple at $500 per share. I expect it to be at $650+ one year from today.
  • Reply 13 of 63
    Bill Gates should thank his lucky stars Apple canned Jobs. I really think we are seeing what would have happened in the 1980s/1990s if Apple had executed. What a different world it would have been.
  • Reply 14 of 63
    And the beauty of this is, I've never seen a single Apple executive ever show up on a CNBC, or a CNN, or a FOX, or a BLOOMBERG, etc to tout the company's strategy, vision, mission, values, stock price, blah blah.

They just do what they do, well, quietly, minding their own business, letting the chips fall where they may.

Something for other companies and their CEOs to ponder.
  • Reply 15 of 63
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

They just do what they do, well, quietly, minding their own business, letting the chips fall where they may.

indeed, but it's more like "placing the chips where they want".
  • Reply 16 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

Bill Gates should thank his lucky stars Apple canned Jobs. I really think we are seeing what would have happened in the 1980s/1990s if Apple had executed. What a different world it would have been.

And I'm reminded of some of Michael Dell's rumored comments.
  • Reply 17 of 63
    Just to be fair to Exxon, maybe the federal government should be paying subsidies to Apple. I mean just to be fair.
  • Reply 18 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Just to be fair to Exxon, maybe the federal government should be paying subsidies to Apple. I mean just to be fair.

So ends the thread.
  • Reply 19 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Instead of "Where's in the world is Carmen San Diego?", there should be one titled "Where in the world is Slapppy?"

Slappy? Slappy? I just spit coffee all over my screen!
  • Reply 20 of 63
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

I have it on good authority that, at their accounting department's request, Apple have just submitted a patent on the term 'Gazillion'.

That's iGazillion