Three alleged 'iPad 3' parts assembled, including possible Retina Display

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

I'm a lot more inclined to believe it possible that the ipad 3 will have the higher resolution screen if it is the Sharp IGZO technology being used. The reason is that I don't believe for a second that Apple would be willing to sacrifice weight, battery life, etc. in order to deliver the higher resolution.

At one point the rumour was that Apple was considering both the IGZO and conventional technology using an additional backlight. Ludicrous. The two technologies would have required rather different internal designs and there is no way that Apple would have allowed this process to force them to be designing two iPads at the same time.

The rumor mill in Korea says people are working overtime at LG's South Korean flat panel factory to deliver LCD panels for the new iPad.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Is there something wrong with you? I mean other than the fact that you've never made a single post where you've said anything good about Apple, that is.

The 3GS is their WORST-selling phone. It sells single digits of the iPhone market. And it STILL sells better than ANY device made by ANYONE else. It'll be killed off this year. So, what, Apple is dead after that? :roll eyes:

The heck does this mean? More 'walled garden is a failure' crap?

Feisty moderator.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eric475 View Post

Feisty moderator.

Insult-flinging moderator.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil

Is there something wrong with you?

• Reply 24 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eric475 View Post

The rumor mill in Korea says people are working overtime at LG's South Korean flat panel factory to deliver LCD panels for the new iPad.

The rumor (rumour) mill in Korea has been rather active, claiming a lot of contradictory stuff. Fact is, I would imagine that given an option, Apple would much rather have Sharp for a business partner than Samsung or LG in that Sharp is not in the business of producing products that compete directly with Apple. Even if Apple starts offering a big-screen TV, chances are Sharp is going to be supplying Apple with panels for that device.

I'm not saying that I have inside information but it does seem to me that it will require a more efficient technology like IGZO to make a high-resolution screen viable for a tablet in the size range of the iPad. If Apple could have brought to market a high-resolution iPad using the technology available when the iPad 2 came to market, the iPad 2 would have had such a screen.

Apple has always been about bringing to market product when the technology is available to offer a fully realized device. Rushing products to market is what the others specialize in and look where it has gotten them.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

The iPhone 4 was slightly heavier than the iPhone 3GS and the iPhone 4S is slightly heavier than the iPhone 4 with worse battery life.

The 4S is slightly heavier with vastly improved battery life.

I get 3 days of use with my 4S instead of the daily charging the 4 required.

This is running 3 exchange accounts all using Push, 1 iCloud account with push. I also clock up 20 hours of outbound calls per month.

When I first got the 4S the battery would die within a day and after the faulty unit (which also kept losing the signal) was replaced I tweaked the location settings and reduced the exchange accounts to only sync 1 week of mail and boom, battery life sorted. 5.1 will extend this even more for me as I will be able to disable 3G too.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Of course the backplate isn't going to change dramatically. The design of the iPad is defined by its usage as a "pad".

If, as the article says it's "1mmm thicker" then the iPad will be about 20% heavier overall.

I'm betting that this is just the typical lack of facility with the English language shown by bloggers and that what they actually mean is that it has 1mm greater depth instead.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

If, as the article says it's "1mmm thicker" then the iPad will be about 20% heavier overall.

I'm betting that this is just the typical lack of facility with the English language shown by bloggers and that what they actually mean is that it has 1mm greater depth instead.

When dealing with an object the size of the iPad, what exactly is the difference between thickness and depth?

What sort of track record do you have when posting about the meanings of words?
  • Reply 28 of 38
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Interesting to see that the camera lens on the "iP3" back has a bezel with a metal ring that looks exactly like the one on iPhone 4S. Maybe the 1mm extra depth in the back cover is to allow room for the 4S five-lens camera, as well as more battery and/or backlight. The new screen will make good use of such a camera. It will be an amazing thing to see your photographs and videos displayed on that screen, just like it is amazing on the iPhone 4s Retina display.

Any extra weight from the improvements will pale in significance when we see what high definition really looks like.

And Zither, would you check your FUD portfolio this morning? The change in the 30-pin connector they are referring to is the right angle bend in the internal ribbon plug.

Open your eyes and look at the nice pictures.
  • Reply 29 of 38
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

WIth this huge increase in resolution, can we finally have a makeover of the core iOS UI? It just seems like the grid of icons is wasted on such high resolution displays. This isn't 2007 anymore.

The pull-down notification system was a nice step in the right direction, but I'd also like a more interactive lock screen with weather/customizable widgets, etc. Some of things that Android does like live news feeds and email feeds directly on the homescreen would be a nice touch.

That would be copying Android. Surely that would hurt the ego of Apple fans.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    s4mb4s4mb4 Posts: 267member
    Quote:

Is there something wrong with you? I mean other than the fact that you've never made a single post where you've said anything good about Apple, that is.

and you sir have never accepted ANY criticism aimed at Apple without showing your true colors.

Quote:

The 3GS is their WORST-selling phone. It sells single digits of the iPhone market. And it STILL sells better than ANY device made by ANYONE else. It'll be killed off this year. So, what, Apple is dead after that? :roll eyes:

I do not believe I said anything about Apples death??

Quote:

The heck does this mean? More 'walled garden is a failure' crap?

No, it simply means developers often complain about having to support Apples old technology. Something that you apparently are not aware of.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s4mb4 View Post

…your true colors.

Silver, black, and white. Also, sure I haven't.

Quote:

I do not believe I said anything about Apples death??

Never said you did. Was trying to parse your logic in your post.

Quote:

No, it simply means developers often complain about having to support Apples old technology. Something that you apparently are not aware of.

And now I know your ACTUAL angle; thanks for clarifying. To which my response is:

Heaven forbid developers have to make software for the hardware that people actually own.

Oh, but also, they don't. Plenty of apps don't work on iPhones pre-4. Plenty of apps don't even work on the 4. Just like there will be apps that don't work on the iPad or iPad 2. So your entire point is completely moot.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    All these folks with leaked iPad3 parts should all get together and just build one!
  • Reply 33 of 38
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

And Zither, would you check your FUD portfolio this morning? The change in the 30-pin connector they are referring to is the right angle bend in the internal ribbon plug.

Open your eyes and look at the nice pictures.

No need to be so rude. I find myself wondering the same thing. New dock connector? If the position has moved, it means it won't work with my dock, thus increasing the price of upgrading.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

4 different resolutions (3GS, 4/4S, iPad/iPad 3)? Sounds like fragmentation to me......<ducks>

Computer applications have long since adapted to various hardware configurations, there is no reason mobile software could not do the same. Computer games support various aspect ratios, resolutions, and hardware configurations by toggling their graphical settings. Low-end systems use low resolution textures, circular shadows, etc. while high-end receive realistic shadow and lighting effects.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

No need to be so rude. I find myself wondering the same thing. New dock connector? If the position has moved, it means it won't work with my dock, thus increasing the price of upgrading.

Zither is so eager to stir up doubt about Apple's competence and regard for their customers, that he doesn't see that there are two ends to the connector assembly. He's talking about the wrong end, and so are you.

But you are exempt from my "rudeness," because you are probably a sincere poster, whereas he is a veteran dissembler around here.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Zither is so eager to stir up doubt about Apple's competence and regard for their customers, that he doesn't see that there are two ends to the connector assembly. He's talking about the wrong end, and so are you.

The wrong end? Can you explain? Which end is there, other than the end that goes into the iPad? Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question. I'm hoping the iPad 3 will work with my iPad 2 dock (and smart cover, though it's sounding like it will work with smart covers).

I'm very excited about the iPad 3. A retina display (or something close to it) will be absolutely amazing on a screen that large. The iPad is such an interesting device, really. I thought it was a gimmick until I finally decided to buy one. Then I quickly realized why so many people are replacing their laptops with iPads. My main system is a Mac Mini. I have a laptop too, but I haven't touched it since buying an iPad.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

The wrong end? Can you explain? Which end is there, other than the end that goes into the iPad? Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question. I'm hoping the iPad 3 will work with my iPad 2 dock (and smart cover, though it's sounding like it will work with smart covers).

I'm very excited about the iPad 3. A retina display (or something close to it) will be absolutely amazing on a screen that large. The iPad is such an interesting device, really. I thought it was a gimmick until I finally decided to buy one. Then I quickly realized why so many people are replacing their laptops with iPads. My main system is a Mac Mini. I have a laptop too, but I haven't touched it since buying an iPad.

Sorry you got caught up in Zlither's net, and in my exasperation with his games. The pictures of the old and new 30-pin connectors are here, halfway down the page:

http://ilab.cc/staff_blog/5559.html

The part of the connector that goes to the outside of the iPad remains the same and in the same position, centered at the bottom, where it has to be for docks, for balance and access. The changed part is at the other end, where it bends 90 degrees to connect to its board at a place or angle different from the iPad 2 arrangement.

These are old pictures from weeks ago, and since Zlither spends his day pretty much full-time on this site, he should have remembered them, or at least checked the link in today's story before he tried to get people worked up about Apple abandoning their legacy 30-pin ecosystem. Shameless careless, venal, incompetent, corrupt -- in the best tradition of American obstruction of progress. Tone deaf to hardware as well.

You, on the other hand, exhibit the best kind of Apple appreciation, IMO-- enlightenment through experience. I also was surprised by how the iPad took over a huge chunk of my life. No wonder Steve thought it was the best thing he ever did . . . .
  • Reply 38 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

Somehow I can't get rid of the feeling that the upcoming version will be called iPad 2s, rather than iPad 3. I believe that the upgrade will be similar to the iPhone 4s over the iPhone 4, and not as earth shattering as some might hope.