British network allegedly warns Apple again not to use 'iTV' name [u]

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 127
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You know, the exact same thing was said of the xMac. And the iPhone nano. And the iHome.

They all KNEW it was coming out. It never did.

I disagree.
  • Reply 122 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I disagree.

They came out?
  • Reply 123 of 127
    This would be a really complicated issue of it was to happen and I think it's important to first know more about ITV.

ITV is owned by more than one company: ITV plc, STV Group and UTV Media. Each of these companies holds the licence(s) for Channel 3 in their region(s). In the days before ITV plc there were many companies (and regions) in England and Wales, each with their own on air identity and Channel 3 licence so instead of being called Channel 3 or ITV the name would be, for example, Granada - which was one of the larger companies. Since 2004 most of these companies have merged and make up ITV plc. ITV plc uses ITV 1 (which has actually been used since the late 90s) as the name for the licences it holds. STV (licence holder for Scotland) uses its own branding on air and so does UTV (in Northern Ireland). It must also be remembered that ITV plc is a worldwide content producer and exporter through its company ITV Studios (still known as Granada productions in some countries). Examples are hell's kitchen and kitchen nightmares in the US.

Now for the interesting bit related to this article: ITV plc is planning a rebrand of its channels this Autumn. This would include ITV 1, 2, 3, 4. It could be the case that they change the names to something completely different with no mention of ITV. (I'm not sure what would happen to the ITV website, ITV Player and ITV News in this situation.) So ITV plc would remain and so would its subsidiaries like ITV Studios but the on air identity and names of its services would change to something different.

I'm sure some sort of licensing agreement could be thought up by ITV plc/STV/UTV and Apple for it to use iTV. Personally I don't see it happening but in case it does, you heard it here first!

Well this has gone on much, much longer than planned. If you didn't get bored by my (hopefully accurate) ITV history then I hope you learned something.

Source re ITV rebrand:

http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/news/b...036389.article (behind a paywall)
  • Reply 124 of 127
    Rather than fight Apple over its possible 'iTV' product - ie, distance itself from a range of services likely to be remarkable globally, it is possible (perhaps probable) the UK's ITV would actively court the company!

I mean, theyre in the business of TV, and only the most successful and widely admired IT company in the world just happens to show up on their doorstep, purely by coincidence. You cant shake them off, so go with them if they want iTV!!!

Anyway, it seems ITV are not contesting their trademark in the US anyway, 'abandonned it' indeed... so is sense prevailing?
  • Reply 125 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mystigo View Post

Yea. iTV has a point on this one. They own that name fair and square and have spent decades marketing and building up that brand. Apple will have to come up with a lucrative arrangement for them, or just use another name.

Rather than fight Apple over its possible 'iTV' product - ie, distance itself from a range of services likely to be remarkable globally, it is possible (perhaps probable) the UK's ITV would actively court the company!

I mean, theyre in the business of TV, and only the most successful and widely admired IT company in the world just happens to show up on their doorstep, purely by coincidence. You cant shake them off, so go with them if they want iTV!!!

Anyway, it seems ITV are not contesting their trademark in the US anyway, 'abandonned it' indeed... so is sense prevailing?
  • Reply 126 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post

Doubt Apple would want to change from Apple TV now anyway.

Don't care one jot for ITV in the UK anyway, would be more than happy for Apple to buy them out and shut them down, ITV produces the worst news and retarded TV shows out there all funded by corrupt quizzes and shows.

I think if Apple does make an IDTV display, it should be called the Apple Television. Not Apple TV, that's already the name of the standalone STB. Apple Television. Long name. Never abbreviated.

And it will only come in one size.
  • Reply 127 of 127
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

What case?

I said "would" as in "if there was one."