Samsung says an Apple television won't beat them in picture quality

Comments

• Reply 81 of 165
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yu119995 View Post

Name one Apple product that isn't "break the bank expensive" relative to its competition.

Oh Jesus. Fucking really? The iPad/iPhone are definitely completely in line with their competition price-wise when everything is taken into account. Same goes with the rest of their product line.
  • Reply 82 of 165
    Samsung may not be wrong today, but he is forgetting one very important thing. TV panel is a commodity. Using its vast resource, Apple can pick and choose among what it feels is the best panel (or good enough). It will then calibrate it, package it in Jonathan Ive's creation, sprinkle with Scott Forstall's iOS goodies, and mix it up with contents.
  • Reply 83 of 165
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Even if Apple makes a TV, they won't manufacture it. They will partner with someone. Possibly Sharp or even save Sony's ass and partner with them. Steve Jobs always admired Sony and they are getting a real drubbing from the likes of Samsung. An Apple branded TV made by Sony might kill two birds with one stone. Hurt Samsung's bottom line and keep Sony around as a high quality component maker for Apple. At this point in time I don't think Sony is too proud to take that offer.
  • Reply 84 of 165
    Is that Samclone lining itself up for a beating?

*Takes out the bat...and waits.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 85 of 165
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by StLBluesFan View Post

Nothing that guy said that can really be argued with.

"The ultimate is about picture quality and there is no way that anyone, new or old, can come along this year or next and beat us on picture quality," he said. "So, from that perspective, it's not a great concern, but it remains to be seen what they're going to come out with, if anything."

Actually, allow me to argue with that. I have a 42" set that I'd happily replace with one of equal picture quality if the navigation/tuning was better than the total crap on the current one.

Changing channels is pathetically slow, you sometimes turn it off after turning it on because the picture hasn't showed up yet and it isn't clear whether it didn't get the remote signal (which happens quite a bit on it) or whether it's just still showing nothing (including the backlight not being on). It randomly forgets about channels from time to time, so you'll be surfing and notice it's skipping a channel that should be there - dig into the tuner menus and figure out how to re-add. Want to hook up external powered speakers - cool, but don't think you'll be able to control the volume with the remote because there's no variable line-out and the headphone volume doesn't change using the remote either. WTF?

So... I'm happy enough with the picture quality, but Apple would NEVER have shipped something that works this poorly, and I've seen other sets that are slow/bad enough that I'm sure Apple can sell a fair number of TVs without reinventing anything at all. If they have a vastly better interface/experience, even better.
  • Reply 86 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Even if Apple makes a TV, they won't manufacture it. They will partner with someone. Possibly Sharp or even save Sony's ass and partner with them. Steve Jobs always admired Sony and they are getting a real drubbing from the likes of Samsung. An Apple branded TV made by Sony might kill two birds with one stone. Hurt Samsung's bottom line and keep Sony around as a high quality component maker for Apple. At this point in time I don't think Sony is too proud to take that offer.

Not sure about Sony. Do you wonder why Samsung, not Sony, was invited to Steve Jobs' private memorial service last year?
  • Reply 87 of 165
    It seems to me unlikely that the focus for Apple will be on an Apple-branded big-screen TV. There will be a line of big-screen sets with Apple's name on them but I think Apple changing TV will be about offering an update on the current Apple TV that, combined with arrangements with service providers, will alter how consumers access programming. In other words, a set-top box done Apple style.

This Trojan Horse will be complimented by a line of TVs that integrate the box into the set but Apple can't afford to gain a foothold in the TV market one TV sold at a time. It needs the already installed base to access programming via the Apple process using an external box. While this is put in place, Apple will begin selling TVs with the technology integrated into them and the selling point will be a simplified approach.

In regards to picture quality, though, I think that what you'll see is good quality and smart marketing driving home this fact. Samsung's products are displayed by retailers who feed poor signals into poorly calibrated demo units. Apple's TVs will not need to be intrinsically superior to be perceived as better because they will be demoed in a more careful fashion, as is Apple's way of doing things.

Once Apple has deals in place with service providers, look for a new improved Apple TV set-top box and a line of Apple sets incorporating that technology will be a likely companion.
  • Reply 88 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Samsung sounds scared. Why release a comment about a product they have not seen.

Also confirms it's not them supplying the screens
  • Reply 89 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yu119995 View Post

Name one Apple product that isn't "break the bank expensive" relative to its competition.

Macbook Air, AppleTV, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, Mac Mini, Entry level iMac...
  • Reply 90 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I'd be placing bets on Sharp.

From this it isn't Samsung and Samsung, Sony and Hitachi have just pooled theirTV screen manufacture
  • Reply 91 of 165
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Why do you think iOS is so popular? It just works.

Is that why Safari crashes on my iOS devices at least once per day? Don't get me wrong I love my iOS devices more than any Android I ever had, but it's not completely as smooth as some suggest. I'm hopeful the next version of iOS addresses the issue of apps crashing on a regular basis.
  • Reply 92 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by filburt View Post

Samsung may not be wrong today, but he is forgetting one very important thing. TV panel is a commodity. Using its vast resource, Apple can pick and choose among what it feels is the best panel (or good enough). It will then calibrate it, package it in Jonathan Ive's creation, sprinkle with Scott Forstall's iOS goodies, and mix it up with contents.

You forgot the Unicorn Hair and Pixie Dust

But, seriously folks, you forgot the biggies - Apples retail chain, its marketing expertise and its reputation for customer service that has people buying high value consumer goods in a time of recession because they think they will last better and are hence a better value proposition.

(they are right too)
  • Reply 93 of 165
    Samsung can go wank themselves. Their TVs are overrated. They now cost more than Sony and Sharp even though I don't think their TVs are as good.
  • Reply 94 of 165
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    They said on CNBC today that DirecTV is looking for a buyer. I love my DirecTV but man if I had DirecTV and AppleTV content all in the same box I'd be in heaven.

At this point Apple would have to come out with something pretty damn special for me to give up my DirecTV HD DVR. I get all the content I want (and more) with an easy to use UI to boot. Not sure how Apple could beat that.
  • Reply 95 of 165
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    What if Apple has no plans to ever make a HDTV and instead decide to partner with a one or more manufacturers that agree to certain Apple design demands to include an internal Apple TV?

This would fully takes over the GUI and interface for the TV completely. Similar to Google equipped TV's but much, much better. It would be a premium brand within a brand concept that would have to meet strict requirements by Apple. If it runs iOS it could also be updated yearly, at least for a few years. Apple would no doubt make a very nice margin from each set sold without all the hassles involved with manufacturing the whole widget.
  • Reply 96 of 165
    Samsung.....Same song!!!!
  • Reply 97 of 165
    Lol Samsung can make that statement pretty easily, because apple will probably have them make the flat panel, or LG or Sharp. Pretty hard to beat your picture when it is the same flat panel in apples device. The fact is nobody knows if apple is even going to make an entire tv or if there just going to update the current stand alone atv. I would think the latter. The TV market is way to saturated. Also you would be limiting yourself to just the people that buy tv's. Unless you made both. a tv and a new atv standalone.
  • Reply 98 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Apple customers are the people who used to always have "12:00" blinking on their VCR. And Apple makes Billions. Smart.

Sounds like you are calling all Apple users stupid. Personal attack, eh? What a bigoted statement.
  • Reply 99 of 165
    The real fun will begin when Apple's picture quality is worse and Samsung still copies it.
  • Reply 100 of 165
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GQB View Post

I have a Samsung TV.

Out of the blue it started switching to 'stretch' SD mode every time I change channels. I have to hit a seemingly unrelated button on the remote to bounce the set each time I change.

You think maybe there's more to a great TV experience than just pixel density?

Maybe an interface that doesn't suck? You think Apple can't walk in and improve on the garbage Samsung has been coasting on for years?

I have two Samsung TVs, neither of them do that.

And as for interface, what is the issue with them? I change channels and it changes, I change the volume and the volume changes, what issue?