Apple reportedly squeezing supplier to stop building MacBook Air clones from Asus

Comments

• Reply 141 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I think those are ugly. The ports and the fan vents. It's really an ugly MBP clone. I'm surprised they are even Ultrabooks since they have the internal space to use more than a CULV Core-i5/i7.

I really like them! Years of being a tech guy must have conditioned me to seeing the beauty in an accessible Ethernet port

I think the wedge look is done. It's like fashion 101 that when everyone starts to copy it's time to change.
  • Reply 142 of 165
    The ASUS Zenbook may resemble the MBA from the side where the USB and minidisplay ports are located (never mind that it's not even the same type of USB port). But when you look at the Zenbook from any other angle the resemblance disappears. The lid looks NOTHING like the lid on an MBA. Neither do the keyboard or the screen. I've never seen an MBA screen with a big "ASUS" logo on it.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the Zenbook doesn't run OS X.

So what are Apple's grounds for going after the Zenbook? Because it's thin? I doubt that Apple has a patent on thinness, but you can bet they'd patent that if they could.
  • Reply 143 of 165
    -Apple can't compete on a level playing field.

No, it seems companies like Asus cannot play on a level playing field by being squeezed out from a supplier building Zenbooks. Only thing that's actually similar is they're silver and thin. Stop kidding yourself.

-Haven't really been seeing those?

You should read a little more. How many products have they successfully blocked from ever seeing a retail store? The patents are easy to get around, just ask Samsung and Apple that. Not to mention it's tiring and isn't stopping anybody.

-Apple is afraid of any real competition.

Looks like they have very good competition.

-Ah, the obligatory "I own Apple products, so despite my obviously trollish comments, I can't be attacked because I said I own Apple products."

Attack me all you want, I wouldn't make the post I did without expecting a retort. As for troll...hmmmm I think not. Because I am stating a fact people are crying because another company makes a thin silver laptop is trolling.? So if the Apple TV that comes out is black or silver and thin are they copying other TV makers? I don't think so.

Apple fanboys are too stupid to know Android is better.

In your reference to me on that, I don't ever recall writing Android is better, just that iOS is stale. It's a matter of personal preference. I mean they did add quite a bit to iOS with the notification system among other things I've never seen before. Oh let's not forget SIRI!!

Well played...you got me!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Cool! Let's run down the checklist.

Sports reference, so?

Within the context, I believe this one applies:

√ Patents shouldn't be allowed. They interfere with competition.

Right, so there's this one?

√ Apple is afraid of any real competition.

Haven't really been seeing those?

Ah, the obligatory "I own Apple products, so despite my obviously trollish comments, I can't be attacked because I said I own Apple products."

It's like calling BASE! in Tag?

Tough one, but I'm going to go with a modified version of?

√ Apple fanboys are too stupid to know Android is better.

And moving right down the line?

√ Apple copied everything from Android, so how dare they sue?

This just writes itself?

√ Apple needs to innovate not litigate.

Come clean now. You saw the checklist in the other thread and decided to write a post that fit the bill for every single point, didn't you? That's a good one. You got me. Ha ha. Well played.

• Reply 144 of 165
    [QUOTE=jbeez17;2045538]-Apple can't compete on a level playing field.

No, it seems companies like Asus cannot play on a level playing field by being squeezed out from a supplier building Zenbooks. Only thing that's actually similar is they're silver and thin. Stop kidding yourself.

-Haven't really been seeing those?

You should read a little more. How many products have they successfully blocked from ever seeing a retail store? The patents are easy to get around, just ask Samsung and Apple that. Not to mention it's tiring and isn't stopping anybody.

-Apple is afraid of any real competition.

-Ah, the obligatory "I own Apple products, so despite my obviously trollish comments, I can't be attacked because I said I own Apple products."

Attack me all you want, I wouldn't make the post I did without expecting a retort. As for troll...hmmmm I think not. Because I am stating a fact people are crying because another company makes a thin silver laptop is trolling.? So if the Apple TV that comes out is black or silver and thin are they copying other TV makers? I don't think so.

In your reference to me on that, I don't ever recall writing Android is better, just that iOS is stale. It's a matter of personal preference. I mean they did add quite a bit to iOS with the notification system among other things I've never seen before. Oh let's not forget SIRI!!

Well played...you got me!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 145 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by popnfresh View Post

The ASUS Zenbook may resemble the MBA from the side where the USB and minidisplay ports are located (never mind that it's not even the same type of USB port).

The MacBook Air has Thunderbolt. The Zenbook's "USB port" is their charging port.

Quote:

But when you look at the Zenbook from any other angle the resemblance disappears. The lid looks NOTHING like the lid on an MBA. Neither do the keyboard or the screen.

The shape of the lid looks pretty much identical to the MacBook Air's, taper and all.

The bottom looks pretty much identical to the MacBook Air. They even used the same number of screws!

The keyboard is made to be as close to the MacBook family keyboard as possible. Heck, they even chose a font that looks like an italicized version of the current Apple keyboard font!

Look, if eMachines can lose a suit and be driven into bankruptcy by making this monstrosity, the current slew of Ultrabooks can be sued in much the same way.

Quote:

I've never seen an MBA screen with a big "ASUS" logo on it. Also, I'm pretty sure that the Zenbook doesn't run OS X.

Well, I'm sold. You're obviously completely right about this. A lawsuit can't POSSIBLY happen because of these things.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbeez17 View Post

-Apple can't compete on a level playing field.

No, it seems companies like Asus cannot play on a level playing field by being squeezed out from a supplier building Zenbooks.

Exactly; that's what I'm saying. You're spouting the same generic crap that people always say.

Quote:

Looks like they don't have any.

Quote:

In your reference to me on that, I don't ever recall writing Android is better, just that iOS is stale.

As I said, "heavily modified version of".
  • Reply 146 of 165
    Quote:

The bottom looks pretty much identical to the MacBook Air. They even used the same number of screws!

Watch out, some might think that you're suggesting Apple has a patent on the number of screws that can be used.
  • Reply 147 of 165
    The shape of the lid looks pretty much identical to the MacBook Air's, taper and all.

My Samsung TV looks really similar to my Sony TV. Both thin, black, shape, and shiny. Blasphemy...those copiers!! I'm even going to check the amount of screws they use in the back. They better not be the same or else!!! A LAWSUIT better be filed if there's the same amount of screws!!!

Exactly; that's what I'm saying. You're spouting the same generic crap that people always say.

And you keep coming with the same generic laughable defense by Apple fanboys.

Looks like they don't have any competition.

Really...look at the market share 4 years ago to today. 4 years ago Macs were not the market share as they are today. Kudos to Apple because they make very nice PCs with a very nice OS.

Look at iOS compared to Android then. Android was barely on the radar, and today it's very close.

Look at Samsung's and HTC's share in phones compared to today? While not close to Apple's share in smartphones but they are gaining.

You think it's a coincidence that Apple has become patent trolls all of a sudden? Please!!!

And yes they should stick to innovation not litigation because they are not stopping anybody, just digging themselves into never ending lawsuits. And yes, iOS hasn't been innovative for a couple of years. Just giving it's customers what's been on many phones for years.

Apple is a great company but competition is always a good thing!

Quote:

The MacBook Air has Thunderbolt. The Zenbook's "USB port" is their charging port.

The keyboard is made to be as close to the MacBook family keyboard as possible. Heck, they even chose a font that looks like an italicized version of the current Apple keyboard font!

Look, if eMachines can lose a suit and be driven into bankruptcy by making this monstrosity, the current slew of Ultrabooks can be sued in much the same way.

Well, I'm sold. You're obviously completely right about this. A lawsuit can't POSSIBLY happen because of these things.

Looks like they don't have any.

As I said, "heavily modified version of".

• Reply 148 of 165
    Quote:

You're asking why you can't run Mac OS apps on iOS. You really should know why. It's the same reason that iOS for iPad apps don't run on iOS for iPhone/Touch or iOS for AppleTV. For starters they have different UIs. One uses Aqua, two use CocoaTouch, and one uses BackRow.

You never wondered by an almost standard build of Tiger wouldn't let you access Finder or run all your apps on the original AppleTV? You just assumed it was something other than their Mac OS foundation? Perhaps you thought it was Linux because most of their iPods use Linux. Do you not wonder why Android apps won't automatically run on Ubuntu or the iPod Classic?
    Are you going to now claim I photoshopped these images, went back in time 5 years and put them online just to prove a point? Not that I wouldn't do that but if I had a time machine I would go back in time to invest in companies.

you are very confused it seems.
  • Reply 149 of 165
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

you are very confused it seems.

Says the guy that can't even read the simple text on huge banners.
  • Reply 150 of 165
    Why are you doing it like this? It makes it impossible to read. simply split up my quote like I do yours.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jbeez17 View Post

My Samsung TV looks really similar to my Sony TV. Both thin, black, shape, and shiny. Blasphemy...those copiers!! I'm even going to check the amount of screws they use in the back. They better not be the same or else!!! A LAWSUIT better be filed if there's the same amount of screws!!!

Wow, Solipsism, you were right.

Quote:

And you keep coming with the same generic laughable defense by Apple fanboys.

Ah, so you admit to having absolutely no purpose for being here other than to be contrary to Apple, thereby meaning you have no reason to be here at all.

Because that 'generic laughable defense' is what is known as truth. If you had any real rebuttal to it, you wouldn't have to pretend I'm a "fanboy" and think you've accomplished ANYTHING in this argument save for looking foolish.

Apple ][ is a "fanboy". I'm just fervently against the anti-Apple nonsense on here.

Quote:

Really...look at the market share 4 years ago to today. 4 years ago Macs were not the market share as they are today.

Yeah, they've grown. Showing that? they? have competition somehow?

Quote:

You think it's a coincidence that Apple has become patent trolls all of a sudden?

You're implying that there was ever a time that Apple DIDN'T protect its intellectual property? Please, indeed.

Quote:

And yes they should stick to innovation not litigation

Explain: Why is Apple the only company in the industry that is allowed to innovate?

Quote:

?because they are not stopping anybody, just digging themselves into never ending lawsuits.

Sure they're not.

Quote:

And yes, iOS hasn't been innovative for a couple of years.

Sure it hasn't.

Quote:

Just giving it's customers what's been on many phones for years.

Like absolutely terrible battery life, sure. I agree with that about iOS 5.1. I certainly hope apple doesn't keep "giving us what's been on many phones for years" and make iOS suck like Android does. Never mind that your position on this matter is so nebulous that you can pretend you're saying anything and claim it has meaning.

Quote:

Apple is a great company but competition is always a good thing!

Call me when they get some.
  • Reply 151 of 165
    Quote:

You're asking why you can't run Mac OS apps on iOS. You really should know why. It's the same reason that iOS for iPad apps don't run on iOS for iPhone/Touch or iOS for AppleTV. For starters they have different UIs. One uses Aqua, two use CocoaTouch, and one uses BackRow.

You never wondered by an almost standard build of Tiger wouldn't let you access Finder or run all your apps on the original AppleTV? You just assumed it was something other than their Mac OS foundation? Perhaps you thought it was Linux because most of their iPods use Linux. Do you not wonder why Android apps won't automatically run on Ubuntu or the iPod Classic?
    Are you going to now claim I photoshopped these images, went back in time 5 years and put them online just to prove a point? Not that I wouldn't do that but if I had a time machine I would go back in time to invest in companies.

ahem....

first, the reason you can't run apps for android on ubuntu is because android ain't ubuntu (easy answer). linux ain't ubuntu. linux is the kernel and ubuntu is a distro. the same goes for IOS and OS X. they are not equivalent to each other.they share a kernel (darwin) but IOS is more than darwin and OS X is much more than both.

Apple got it and that is why the OS X name was dropped after the initial rollout. they only used those banners at the premier of the iphone. why? cuz it tied in to what they were know for doing well (OS X) and second, they hadn't acquired the rights to use IOS (that was owned by Cisco and apple licensed the name).

if IOS = OS X then no need to change the name and no need to have different apps. the apps woluld run on both natively.

(i should add: hardware being equal)

update (XNU is the kernel and Darwin is the basic core os features) i misused the terms.
  • Reply 152 of 165
    Quote:

ahem....

first, the reason you can't run apps for android on ubuntu is because android ain't ubuntu (easy answer). linux ain't ubuntu. linux is the kernel and ubuntu is a distro. the same goes for IOS and OS X. they are not equivalent to each other.they share a kernel (darwin) but IOS is more than darwin and OS X is much more than both.

Apple got it and that is why the OS X name was dropped after the initial rollout. they only used those banners at the premier of the iphone. why? cuz it tied in to what they were know for doing well (OS X) and second, they hadn't acquired the rights to use IOS (that was owned by Cisco and apple licensed the name).

if IOS = OS X then no need to change the name and no need to have different apps. the apps woluld run on both natively.

1) It'll be your little secret that Mac OS and iOS have no affiliation. People situated in reality know that iOS and Mac OS are built from a core OS X foundation.

2) Bullshit! Apple called it OS X iPhone then iPhone OS from the start. It wasn't until the first WWDC after the iPad launch that they changed the name to iOS. That's over 3 years after the issue with Cisco was dealt with.
  • Reply 153 of 165
    Quote:

1) It'll be your little secret that Mac OS and iOS have no affiliation. People situated in reality know that iOS and Mac OS are built from a core OS X foundation.

2) Bullshit! Apple called it OS X iPhone then iPhone OS from the start. It wasn't until the first WWDC after the iPad launch that they changed the name to iOS. That's over 3 years after the issue with Cisco was dealt with.

its no secret. i never said they had 'no affiliation' now you are just changing the terms to suit you. get over yourself.
  • Reply 154 of 165
    Quote:

its no secret. i never said they had 'no affiliation' now you are just changing the terms to suit you. get over yourself.

It's pretty fucking simple. Apple took Mac OS X and took out al the Mac components that they don't need. A base OS. OS X. Then they forked that to create iOS. From there Mac OS and iOS have shared plenty of high and low-level code. They are connected. They come from the same core OS. This is why you can run OS X apps on both iOS and Mac OS that use the same foundations. You can't run Mac OS X apps on iOS, and you can't run iOS apps on Mac OS X directly. Stop confusing OS X with Mac OS X. There is a reason Apple removed Mac from the name.
  • Reply 155 of 165
    Quote:

It's pretty fucking simple. Apple took Mac OS X and took out al the Mac components that they don't need. A base OS. OS X. Then they forked that to create iOS. From there Mac OS and iOS have shared plenty of high and low-level code. They are connected. They come from the same core OS. This is why you can run OS X apps on both iOS and Mac OS that use the same foundations. You can't run Mac OS X apps on iOS, and you can't run iOS apps on Mac OS X directly. Stop confusing OS X with Mac OS X. There is a reason Apple removed Mac from the name.

Wouldn't that mean "OS X" is Darwin? It sounds like you guys are arguing the same thing just using different terminology.

Do either of you actually remember what started this? I can't even work it out
  • Reply 156 of 165
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

Wouldn't that mean "OS X" is Darwin? It sounds like you guys are arguing the same thing just using different terminology.

OS X is Darwin but Darwin isn't OS X. It's like saying that WebKit is Safari. Darwin is more simple than OS X. It doesn't contain many components that are found within both Mac OS and iOS, such as Cocoa, QuickTime and WebKIt frameworks, or Quartz Compositor, as far as I recall.
  • Reply 157 of 165
    I can no longer read your whining.
  • Reply 158 of 165
    For the record, I think the way that the industry is copying Apple so closely just makes Apple that much more untouchable and may contribute to their success. They are making amazing products and everything else looks like cheap knock offs. They seem like the only company with any good ideas. I believe there is plenty of inovation to be had, but everyone is too busy copying Apple trying to bet on the "sure thing".

Am I saying Apple should stop suing? Not really, because they do need to protect their brand. Especially when it comes to the style and appearance. Some of these tablets, ultra books, and phones are all coming WAY too close, to the point I think they might be attempting to deceive people. THAT is wrong

BUT...(and this is where I disagree with many Apple fans)

People mention Android. I think Google and Apple are feeding off of each other when it comes to mobile operating systems and I think the competition there is GOOD. If Android disappeared, I think iOS would be worse for it. As it stands now, there are at least a couple of MAJOR features of Android that have made its way to iOS (Voice recognition, notifications). Siri is a BIG improvement on the voice search capabilities that existed in Android, but the fact remains: Android had it built in first.

I know the feeling is that Android completely imitated iOS in the beginning. Perhaps it did, but it doesn't take much research to discover that a lot of the concepts in the iPhone had been around for some time. Apple was the first to realize those ideas would make an amazing phone.

They deserve credit and they are reaping a MAJOR credit and reward for doing so. But multi-touch interfaces and the various input methods were first discussed back in 1985 at Bell Labs. Apple got the patent, HOWEVER ....

There is this.

Apple has actually LOST this multi touch battle, weakening their patent claims on multi-touch. The amount paid by Apple is beans, but it could have an impact on other cases and lawsuits.

So the whole Android/MultiTouch Interface issue is on MUCH shakier ground then these outright knock offs of Macbook Airs.
  • Reply 159 of 165
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    This is an Apple site. Anyone calling anyone else a "fanboy" or grammatical variation thereof, referring to Apple products, will have their post deleted and account banned. This means don't quote someone who used the word, or you'll get swept up by the search engine also.
  • Reply 160 of 165
    1 word. Detroit. think about it. buy up a fab from the auto makers.