Apple will update iOS to require user permission for apps to access contact data

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

Apple on Wednesday announced a future update to iOS will restrict App Store software from accessing a user's address book without their permission.

"Apps that collect or transmit a user's contact data without their prior permission are in violation of our guidelines," Apple spokesman Tom Neumayr said in a statement to AllThingsD. "We’re working to make this even better for our customers, and as we have done with location services, any app wishing to access contact data will require explicit user approval in a future software release."

The official statement came quickly after two U.S. congressmen sent a letter to Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook, asking for more information about Apple's security and privacy policies on the iPhone. The controversy stems from an iPhone social networking application, "Path," which was discovered to be uploading users' address book data to the company's servers without user authorization.

For its part, Path issued an apology and gave users the option to opt out, stating that the data was being used to streamline the application's "Add Friends" feature. But Apple, in its official comment on Wednesday, made it clear that the actions taken by Path are in violation of its iOS developer guidelines.

Reps. G.K. Butterfield (D-N.C.) and Henry A. Waxman (D-Calif.) issued the letter to Cook on Wednesday, questioning whether Apple's iOS application developer policies and practices adequately protect consumer privacy. Apple's official response came mere hours after the letter was made public.

The events share some similarities with last year's location database controversy, in which members of the U.S. government demanded answers from Apple about a file found hidden in the iPhone operating system that kept an extensive log of location data. Apple said the crowd-sourced data, which represented cellular towers and Wi-Fi hotspots pinged by the iPhone, was intended to give users faster response times when using location-based services.

That controversy quickly became a non-issue when Apple issued an iOS software update, which reduced the size and scope of the database file, and gave users the ability to delete it by turning off location services on their iPhone.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 92
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    It's about bloody time as this issue has been in the media for several minutes now¡
  • Reply 2 of 92
    Where's Franken on this issue! I'm stunned Waxman et al, were the first in Congress to query Apple on addressbookgate.
  • Reply 3 of 92
    See? Problem solved simply enough.
  • Reply 4 of 92
    mac_dogmac_dog Posts: 1,069member
    when the path debacle arose, my first thought is that software companies should allow their users to 'opt-in' when they want to harvest information, rather than the opposite.

this is awesome!
  • Reply 5 of 92
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It's about bloody time as this issue has been in the media for several minutes now¡

Getting ever closer to Android's permission-based app model. . .
  • Reply 6 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The events share some similarities with last year's location database controversy, in which members of the U.S. government demanded answers from Apple about a file found hidden in the iPhone operating system that kept an extensive log of location data. Apple said the crowd-sourced data, which represented cellular towers and Wi-Fi hotspots pinged by the iPhone, was intended to give users faster response times when using location-based services.

I really don't think it has many similarities at all. The prior issue was simply a file on your phone that was storing location data, I don't think third parties really had access to it. This is all your contact information loaded onto a third party server without your permission.
  • Reply 7 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

See? Problem solved simply enough.

You all have me to thank for this.
  • Reply 8 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

when the path debacle arose, my first thought is that software companies should allow their users to 'opt-in' when they want to harvest information, rather than the opposite.

this is awesome!

While this is good news it's plugging a small leak in a dam while the water gushes from many other places. Many sync their address books between Mac and Windows with every app we install having access to our data.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

You mean going backwards? Because having a list over 20 items an app may access that appears when you install the app isn't sensible and therefore isn't security.
    While you may take heed that a wallpaper app is trying to get access to your contacts most people just click through confusing and technical lists.
  • Reply 9 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Baka-Dubbs View Post

I really don't think it has many similarities at all. The prior issue was simply a file on your phone that was storing location data, I don't think third parties really had access to it. This is all your contact information loaded onto a third party server without your permission.

To be fair, you're supposed to read the article and at least think it's pretty much the same as last year's location issue.
  • Reply 10 of 92
    "For its part, Path issued an apology and gave users the option to opt out,?"

The classy way to do it would be on an "opt in" basis.
  • Reply 11 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Obama View Post

You all have me to thank for this.

• Reply 12 of 92
    Quote:

Yeah, Apple needs to figure out what can be vetted during the app approval process and what needs to be enforced at runtime. Some other abuse prone areas are unrestricted network/internet access, unlimited flash storage, and full read access to the iPod library.
  • Reply 13 of 92
    Quote:

You mean going backwards? Because having a list over 20 items an app may access that appears when you install the app isn't sensible and therefore isn't security.

While you may take heed that a wallpaper app is trying to get access to your contacts most people just click through confusing and technical lists.

Going backwards

Did Apple require user-specific permissions at some earlier point? I don't see how it's a bad thing, and if so why Apple is requiring both location and contacts harvesting to be user-authorized now.
  • Reply 14 of 92
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple on Wednesday announced a future update to iOS will restrict App Store software from accessing a user's address book without their permission.

"Apps that collect or transmit a user's contact data without their prior permission are in violation of our guidelines," Apple spokesman Tom Neumayr said ...

So the closed-garden control of the App Store doesn't always work, after all?

Quote:

What are you talking about? Apple invented the permission-based app model. Or perfected it. Or made it popular. Or... forget it, Apple is making billions from the permission-based app model like it's nobody's business! /s

Quote:

You mean going backwards? Because having a list over 20 items an app may access that appears when you install the app isn't sensible and therefore isn't security...

Every educated Android user knows better than to install any app offering this laundry list of permission, unless it comes from a very respectable source with legitimate reasons for the requests. Don't worry, you'll learn to use it as Apple improves iOS.
  • Reply 15 of 92
    Quote:

Going backwards

Did Apple require user-specific permissions at some earlier point? I don't see how it's a bad thing, and if so why Apple is requiring both location and contacts harvesting to be user-authorized now.

Security that isn't used is no security at all. For example, let's say MS updates Windows log-in permissions so that you either have the choice of using only a randomized alphanumeric password or no password at all. Users will go for no password because the security, even though much higher security than there previous passworded option, is now too complex to bother with. That screenshot shows what is wrong with Android's system and it only show 1/4 of the potential permissions.
  • Reply 16 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

So the closed-garden control of the App Store doesn't always work, after all?

What are you talking about? Apple invented the permission-based app model. Or perfected it. Or made it popular. Or... forget it, Apple is making billions from the permission-based app model like it's nobody's business! /s

Every educated Android user knows better than to install any app offering this laundry list of permission, unless it comes from a very respectable source with legitimate reasons for the requests. Don't worry, you'll learn to use it as Apple improves iOS.

no they don't.. especially when you consider that educated android user does not exist. they use android without knowing what android is. to put it simply, they buy the only available 200 dollar smartphone that isn't nokia and that's it.
  • Reply 17 of 92
    Quote:

It's a bad thing to offer advertise a security that isn't used because it's not designed to inform the average in a way that is useful to them. For example, let's say MS updates Windows log-in permissions so that you either have the choice of using only a randomized alphanumeric password or no password at all. Users will go for no password because the security, even though much higher security than there previous passworded option, is now too complex to bother with. That screenshot shows what is wrong with Android's system and it only show 1/4 of the potential permissions.

A quarter of them? I can't imagine what the other 21 would be.

I see these listed:

~Services that cost you Money (that a good one to know about, don't you think?)

~Storage - You already showed this one

~Your Personal Information - You showed that one too, and Apple agrees with getting your permission

~Phone call - Yup, that's in your screenshot

~Location - Another I think you should know about, and so does Apple

~Network Communication - In your screenshot and something you better know about.

~System tools - Again in your list

~Hardware controls - Not of much use IMO, unless you're worried why a kid's game wants to turn on the camera.

~Your Accounts ~ Another permission that's not really useful IMO.

Let's see. I count 9
  • Reply 18 of 92
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

no they don't.. especially when you consider that educated android user does not exist. they use android without knowing what android is. to put it simply, they buy the only available 200 dollar smartphone that isn't nokia and that's it.

Don't let yourself be trolled, buddy.
  • Reply 19 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mac_dog View Post

!

That was the policy, but Path showed Apple that they can't trust developers to do it on their own so now it will be forced on them by the OS
  • Reply 20 of 92
    Good move.