Apple became world's largest smartphone seller in 2011 with 19% share

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

It's still interesting to see if Apple could go that far. That will be the day.

I found the number (somewhat).

"With the recent spurt in the stock price, Microsoft's market capitalization has reached nearly $600 billion, putting it back in first place ahead of General Electric's $475 billion market cap."

Microsoft shares climb on Windows 2000 optimism

Maybe their buybacks are effecting the valuation with my calculations but using Google Stocks — which I assume is accurate — the numbers and date I posted are the highest I can find.

PS: AAPL is now down for the day. LOL
  • Reply 22 of 40
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Maybe there buybacks are effecting the valuation with my calculations but using Google Stocks ? which I assume is accurate ? the numbers and date I posted are the highest I can find.

Someone was just a bit scared?
  • Reply 23 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

EDIT: I see now. the all time high is $115 from the link above, not $58.719.

"Microsoft closed at 113.69, up 5.25. Earlier in the day, the shares reached 115, an all-time high."

But that would also be without the 2:1 stock split. That means MSFT had half the shares in 1999 with a peaked share price of $117.438.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Quote:

But that would also be without the 2:1 stock split. That means MSFT had half the shares in 1999 with a peaked share price of $117.438.

So the split was after this? I see. But anyway looks like we have to wait for the day a bit longer.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:

Maybe their buybacks are effecting the valuation with my calculations but using Google Stocks ? which I assume is accurate ? the numbers and date I posted are the highest I can find.

Here: this should settle it (see chart). http://blogs.wsj.com/marketbeat/2011...ibm-1981-2011/
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Here: this should settle it (see chart). http://blogs.wsj.com/marketbeat/2011...ibm-1981-2011/

Can't argue with the WSJ but they don't list how they came to these numbers. While my data looks to be incorrect I have shown my work (gold star for the day?) So what am I missing here? Is it stock buybacks that i'm not accounting for?
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

:thumbs up: Quite a spike.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    Quote:

Can't argue with the WSJ but they don't list how they came to these numbers. While my data looks to be incorrect I have shown my work (gold star for the day?) So what am I missing here? Is it stock buybacks that i'm not accounting for?

Good question. I am puzzled too.

You get a gold star, but matrix07 gets the cigar!
  • Reply 29 of 40
    message to google:

You can copy ios but you can't copy success!
  • Reply 30 of 40
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    I was just asking where you were the other day. There was another "big-letter poster" in a recent thread and it reminded me I hadn't seen you around lately.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I was just asking where you were the other day. There was another "big-letter poster" in a recent thread and it reminded me I hadn't seen you around lately.

I'm too busy calculating how much my Apple stock's are worth. It's a great time to be an Apple shareholder.

how about you
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

Thats a very revealing image. Samsung - 313k, Nokia - 422k & Apple a dismal 89k. LOL... all this cheerleading and hoopla for a dismal third place? Too funny!

Hi slapppy, it's always good to have you on board with some entertaining remarks.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

Thats a very revealing image. Samsung - 313k, Nokia - 422k & Apple a dismal 89k. LOL... all this cheerleading and hoopla for a dismal third place? Too funny!

Well, bugger me.

Slapppy can both read AND count!
  • Reply 34 of 40
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Well, bugger me.

Slapppy can both read AND count!

Now if only we can get him to comprehend what he reads.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    shompashompa Posts: 343member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

message to google:

Don't write stuff like that. They know where you live. They know every dark secret if you have used google search in you life.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FriedLobster View Post

message to google:

We're banning people for Tourette's now?
  • Reply 37 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GTR View Post

We're banning people for Tourette's now?

(What the hell has happened to the laughing icon? Has it been turned off because of the trolls on this site?)

I remember he made some racist comment about Koreans in the same oversized text. He must have received a warning for that and a ban for this one.

Things that can get you banned on AI:
    • Calling someone a name

• Calling an Apple fan a fan b*y

• Replying to someone that calls an Apple fan a fan b*y

• Making a racist comment

BTW it's ok to say shit, fuck and
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:

Dang, man, step up your game! I was hoping for a comment on current events!

"Apple ended the day $11.79 lower than it began. We finally reached the top of the hill. Sell your stock now; it'll only get worse from here!"

Something like that. You know you're slipping when better (albeit satirical) 'anti-Apple rants' are written by Apple lovers.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Firefly7475 View Post

[list of] Things that can get you banned on AI::

Which makes perfect sense; there's not much call for any of that. I was actually surprised at the most recent addition to that list, but I support it 100%. We ARE on an Apple site, after all.

I just hope they don't start a new trend of trying to circumvent it by calling people "oscillating man-children".

As for the swearing, it's my personal opinion that there's no place for that nonsense anywhere, but I accept that people do swear and the action in and of itself doesn't necessarily merit scolding. Casual swearing makes one look like a fool, and there aren't many places more casual (and therefore where swearing makes absolutely no sense) than a text-based Internet forum.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:

Slappy's woken up!

"DOOMED. DOOMED. APPLE ARE DOOMED, I TELL YOU They only made more than 3 times the profit of Samsung and Nokia combined! ......DOOMED. DOOMED. APPLE ARE DOOMED, I TELL YOU"
  • Reply 40 of 40
    Quote:

I worked at MSFT when it was at its web-bubble-peak and there were about 10 Billion shares outstanding. Made rule of thumb calculations pretty simple.