US congressmen send letter to Apple inquiring about iOS address book security

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    We are $15 Trillion dollars in debt. And the Presidents budget submission on Monday increases it to $22 Trillion over the next 10 years. We are all f***** unless we fix it. Kiss all your investments, including AAPL, goodbye

Meanwhile, these Congressmen have the time to dive into this
  • Reply 22 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

But is this really the job of Congress? Perhaps the DoJ, but Congress? Don't they have more important things to worry about? Like actually passing a budget? It's been over a 1000+ days since the Senate passed a budget.

So let me understand this... These politicians are concerned about my personal information being secure while passing law after law allowing warrantless eavesdropping, routing of all email traffic through CIA/NRO scanning, scanning wireless communications globally with Echelon, monitoring every currency transaction, and then scanning me through my clothes at the airport (and apparently planned for city streets!) just in case they missed something. I'm supposed to be worried about my address book???

Um, OK. I guess I'd have a few questions back at them. A$$hats.

(edit)

And yes, a balanced budget would be really nice too, but why do that when you can wage permanent war and enact policies for decades that undercut our own economy instead while pandering to special interests instead?
  • Reply 23 of 41
    Dear Congressman, it's called a phone book.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sector7G View Post

what type of retard are you calling it case closed before i had time to reply? you're really trying scrambling to not look like a complete fool you've made of yourself

heres a link of proof

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/25...discovered.htm

You're absolutely correct that it's not simply an "iOS issue".

What does come as a surprise to some iOS users (tho probably not many here) is that there really is a problem with some applications, even popular ones, harvesting personally identifiable information or location data without the user's knowledge. I don't fault Apple for this really, as it's unreasonable to think they have the time to use check, and later re-check every app available on the App Store to make certain they aren't taking user data for purposes they have no permission for. By the same token users have been lulled into believing that with a curated app store they don't have to worry about having their contacts, or search history, or location or other personal info used without their knowledge as they would on the Android Market.

It's a simple fact of app stores, just one Apple is better at keeping out of view: If you use a number of mobile apps there's a good chance you're giving up some personal information without specifically being aware of it.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/02/14/iphone-address-book/
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I see the Foxconn thing has run it's course, and this is the new flavor of the day. NEXT.

Whatever keeps Apple in the news, I guess.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    Apple, meet the big overbearing nosy government. Remember this when you vote and when you make political contributions.

Reps. G.K. Butterfield (***DEMOCRAT***-N.C.)

and

Henry A. Waxman (***DEMOCRAT***-Calif.)
  • Reply 27 of 41
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    johnjacobjingleheimerschmidt to be banned in 3, 2, 1...
  • Reply 28 of 41
    mrstepmrstep Posts: 513member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnjacobjingleheimerschmidt View Post

Apple, meet the big overbearing nosy government. Remember this when you vote and when you make political contributions.

Reps. G.K. Butterfield (***DEMOCRAT***-N.C.)

and

Henry A. Waxman (***DEMOCRAT***-Calif.)

Haha... seem to recall 'homeland security', warrantless wiretaps, detention without charges, etc. brought to us under the other half of big overbearing nosy government. Remember this when you vote and when you make political contributions.

But seriously, how can anyone not see that it's 2 side of the same corrupt coin? Or was that a joke?
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) And yet without any security or accountability in place for Android they simply don't care unless it's regarding an Apple product. Android is winning¡

2) Apple really needs to make this an item in Settings like Location Data that shows you what apps have access to your Address Book or other sensitive parts of your personal info. While Path now asks you permission this should not be up to the developer but built-in protection from Apple. I blame Apple here.

3) Do they get full access to your Address Book, including notes because I put a lot of personal data into notes.

Yep, I too am curious what Address Book Info is being Uploaded to the Servers! Twitter has to be held accountable too:

Twitter admits to storing iPhone contact info for 18 months | Electronista http://j.mp/A1AyCR

Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Nothing about this story/article has ANYTHING to do with Android. Bringing it up is simply trolling. This letter is just a publicity stunt and overblown, but there still is an issue that should be addressed.

Maybe it's a stunt, but it's even more SERIOUS than the LOCATIONGATE!!!! Locations constantly change, unlike Phone ###!!!! Google/Android must be Held Accountable too, not just Apple!!!

MOST IMPORTANT:

The Control must be given back to the USERS, so that by Opting Out of such Unintentional Sharing, they can UNDO this Disaster with OPT OUT = DELETE THAT INFO FROM A SERVER!!!!

If such DELETION is not made available, then it's like a dog barking at a tank! We are being steamrolled over, and, as soon those Server get hacked, it gets worse!!!!

Apple SHOULD have NOT Allowed this, and same goes for Google and any other Smart Phone OS, or ANY OS, including FACEBOOK!!!

Facebook offered to Find My Friend, if I shared my Email Address and Password with them. Of Course I DECLINED!!!! And now I read that Twitter might have already took that Info, and I CAN NOT UNDO THAT???

I don't care if this letter or whatever other inquiries look like a PR Stunt!!! This IRRESPONSIBLE INFO SHARING is a STRAIGHT PATH to IDENTITY FRAUD, because some people might have to much Private Info in their Address Books!!!!!!!!!!!! So... I don't mind Politicians HOLDING ALL THOSE ACTORS FEET TO THE FIRE!!!!!!!!! APPLE, GOOGLE, FACEBOOK, TWITTER etc...........

And it's NOT EASY for me to say all that, because I LOVE APPLE!!!! Even though, at this very moment, Apple Care is putting me through HELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, while Iran is manipulating Wall Street, and Republicans blam Everything on Obama!

Hey, at least I am healthy, wishing ALL GREAT HEALTH TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 30 of 41
    Men At Work!

Who can it be knocking at my door?

Go 'way, don't come 'round here no more.

Can't you see that it's late at night?

I'm very tired, and I'm not feeling right.

All I wish is to be alone;

Stay away, don't you invade my home.

Best off if you hang outside,

Don't come in - I'll only run and hide.

Who can it be now?

Who can it be now?

Who can it be now?

Who can it be now?
  • Reply 31 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

We are $15 Trillion dollars in debt. And the Presidents budget submission on Monday increases it to $22 Trillion over the next 10 years. We are all f***** unless we fix it. Kiss all your investments, including AAPL, goodbye

Meanwhile, these Congressmen have the time to dive into this

They are all rats fighting over various cheeses for our attention.
  • Reply 32 of 41
    Quote:

iOS apps even have access to a device’s global data such as contacts in the Address Book, and photos in the Photo Library.

Ha-ha. That's funny. Whoever made home video and some bedroom pictures on their iPhones, do not be surprised to get exposed on adult web sites.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    technotechno Posts: 737member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

2) Apple really needs to make this an item in Settings like Location Data that shows you what apps have access to your Address Book or other sensitive parts of your personal info. While Path now asks you permission this should not be up to the developer but built-in protection from Apple. I blame Apple here.

3) Do they get full access to your Address Book, including notes because I put a lot of personal data into notes.

great points: http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ress_book.html
  • Reply 34 of 41
    I do agree that nobody should have your address book sitting on their servers!

Yet once again, Apple is one of many who host apps that can do this, yet they are going to get all the blame. Why is that?

personally, among other reasons, I think this might even be a case of senators who are doing insider trading.

It's certainly possible, as they have yet to ban it for members of congress.

Today Apple's stock went up > 525 and then, out of the blue, CNBC says 'this would be a good time to take your profits' and they proceed to announce that the stock would be 'a good buy at 470' and some more blather about hedge funds needing to cash out of Puts so they can get back into AAPL 'Long'. I thought, hmmmm... I bet the stock falls like a rock down to 470. Here it goes. Here's the stories too, to back up a 'reason' why the stock would tank so much so fast. So many many stories all of a sudden.

This game is so insulting. Did anybody else manage to time this swing? We need new representatives. Do they think we aren't noticing this crap?

I'm still rooting for AAPL, trying to bring great products into the world despite all this bullshit.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

They are all rats fighting over various cheeses for our attention.

Agreed. While Rome burns to the ground
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

So let me understand this... These politicians are concerned about my personal information being secure while passing law after law allowing warrantless eavesdropping, routing of all email traffic through CIA/NRO scanning, scanning wireless communications globally with Echelon, monitoring every currency transaction, and then scanning me through my clothes at the airport (and apparently planned for city streets!) just in case they missed something. I'm supposed to be worried about my address book???

Um, OK. I guess I'd have a few questions back at them. A$$hats.

(edit)

And yes, a balanced budget would be really nice too, but why do that when you can wage permanent war and enact policies for decades that undercut our own economy instead while pandering to special interests instead?

YES - EXACTLY - GREAT REPLY REGARDING THE COMPLETE IDIOCY BY OUR 'LEADERS'. I'm hoping for even MORE protection from myself.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by capoeira4u View Post

This is stupid. He should have written to Microsoft and Google instead.

Agree! As an iPhone user I am mainly concerned about MS and Google contact list security.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Oh lets pick on Apple. We can't compete with them on a creative scale or be original. So lets look for ways to discredit them. Hmm. I think there are some android and samsung reps behind this.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palomine View Post

I do agree that nobody should have your address book sitting on their servers!

Yet once again, Apple is one of many who host apps that can do this, yet they are going to get all the blame. Why is that?

personally, among other reasons, I think this might even be a case of senators who are doing insider trading.

Insider trading is actually corporate perks to senators and congressmen. It is only called insider trading when non government officials do it.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bongo View Post

Agree! As an iPhone user I am mainly concerned about MS and Google contact list security.

On Android if an app will access your contact list you'll be notified and your permission required before the app is installed. According to Apple an iOS update at some future point will add the same requirement to Apple's mobile devices.