Apple releases Messages beta for Mac, replacing iChat and integrating with iOS

Comments

• Reply 21 of 74
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

YES. IT REPLACES ICHAT.

THANK YOU, APPLE.

For a horrible minute I thought it was going to be a THIRD application. Now all we have to do is combine FaceTime with this thing and we'll be golden.

I prefer them separate.
  • Reply 22 of 74
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MysticalOS View Post

Is that screen shot the UI though? That's same terribe UI that aim beta recently had. I do NOT want a giant square window with contacts on left and chat on right.

I couldn't disagree more in a million years!
  • Reply 23 of 74
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

... and unexpected.

So much for "Lynx". lol

I suppose it makes sense -- Leopard/Snow Leopard/Lion/Mountain Lion ....

Nice, easy-to-swallow babysteps towards the iOS-ing of OS X.

But the "Out Of Nowhere"-ness of this is positively breathtaking!

I mean, who saw this coming?!?

No one ....

Makes me wonder what sledgehammer thier gonna slam us over the head with hardware-wise this year ....

AAPL $600, anyone?

$650 by Jan 2013
  • Reply 24 of 74
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Does this newfangled Message app contain Rosetta? This is tempting, but I can't lose access to various programs I need (updated versions have missing functionality).

Anyone know how to create a VM with Snow Leopard on it while running Lion?

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...ard-in-vms.ars

Better yet, create a bootable external Snow Leopard drive if it so important for you.
  • Reply 25 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'd bet a million dollars the next release adopts a new naming scheme and gets goes all out with a Launchpad inspired interface. I don't think however that it will be branded as iOS, nor should it.

Launchpad? Hmm, perhaps named after the various rockets in the space program. Saturn, Apollo, etc.
  • Reply 26 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

Message is Lion only, so no Rosetta for you.

It was a joke.
  • Reply 27 of 74
    I would like to see a client for Windows 7 so I can send messages to the wifes iPhone when at work.
  • Reply 28 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...ard-in-vms.ars

Better yet, create a bootable external Snow Leopard drive if it so important for you.

Fantastic! I need to have it run simultaneously, as I use the programs daily.
  • Reply 29 of 74
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    My God, this and Mountain Lion came out of fucking NOWHERE. Nice to see Apple's secrecy is as strong as its ever been. Not even a tiny mention of Mountain Lion in any leak or rumor I've ever read.
  • Reply 30 of 74
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    What about video chats with up to 4 people simultaniously? Can it still do this ?
  • Reply 31 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

What about video chats with up to 4 people simultaniously? Can it still do this ?

I would assume that any AIM-based conversation would retain this functionality. FaceTime, on the other hand, won't.
  • Reply 32 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I would assume that any AIM-based conversation would retain this functionality. FaceTime, on the other hand, won't.

Is there any technical reason Apple can't update FaceTime to support conference calls? That would be EPIC.
  • Reply 33 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foobar View Post

Can I send and receive messages for my phone number? The iPad currently can send only from an Apple ID. That's annoying, because you end up with two separate threads of communication.

If the message is an iMessage and you have your Apple ID logged into your phone then you would receive those.

If the message is an SMS then no. those are a separate system that just happens to use the same UI app as iMessages.
  • Reply 34 of 74
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donw35 View Post

I would like to see a client for Windows 7 so I can send messages to the wifes iPhone when at work.

Why, just buy a Mac.
  • Reply 35 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

I would think that Apple at some point will have sort of kernel OS. Making this into iOS or OS X is simply done by adding the appropriate apps.

I suspect that they basically already do. What will happen in the future is more crossing over, perhaps to the point that they can make Mac/iOS apps that are universal just like you have iphone/ipad. Imagine being able to buy Pages from the App Store and you get it for all devices rather than having two versions.

Also, with this iOS-ification I don't see what the issue is. Thus far they haven't removed anything from the MacOS. I can still use Finder etc just like before. They added a couple of new bits, fixed one that was only working so so (Spaces/Expose). Yeah they changed up Mail but you can change it back. Yeah they changed up scrolling but you can change it back.

If folks want to gripe how about doing it over the fact that we really need is for them to Mac up iOS in terms of files. We need one central spot for files so that any applicable app can open it. Not this 'save in pages' 'save in ibooks' thing where you can end up with 10 copies of the same file. One "documents" folder even if we can't get into it directly.
  • Reply 36 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Why, just buy a Mac.

I wouldn't be shocked if this Messages app, once out of beta, gets a Windows version. Tons of PC folks have iPhones and iPads after all. And then there are businesses with that combo.
  • Reply 37 of 74
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Been hoping for this, so fucking awesome. Checked AI on my phone 1st thing in the morning while still in bed, and saw this and the Mountain Lion headline. Awesome start to the day!
  • Reply 38 of 74
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I wouldn't be shocked if this Messages app, once out of beta, gets a Windows version. Tons of PC folks have iPhones and iPads after all. And then there are businesses with that combo.

The "iChat for Windows" rumors have been around since 2004. I WOULD be surprised if it EVER gets a Windows version.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Is there any technical reason Apple can't update FaceTime to support conference calls? That would be EPIC.

You think an iPhone/iPod touch can handle processing three incoming video streams? The size of the screen not even withstanding.
  • Reply 39 of 74
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    YEAY!!!

I've been saying this (but the reverse) ever since the first "SMS" app on the iPhone came out in '07.

Why they didn't just integrate iChat into the first iPhone was beyond me, but I guess they doing to reverse scenario. Thank goodness I didn't buy a Mac last year...with the ivy bridge, and now Mountain Lion, and the rumored larger MB airs coming...i'll be first in line to get one of those bad boys!
  • Reply 40 of 74
    Okay, it appears as though videoconferencing that ISN'T FaceTime doesn't work anymore.

And I see no way to screenshare with anyone.

THIS needs fixed posthaste.