Apple bringing Macs to the living room with AirPlay for Mountain Lion

Comments

• Reply 21 of 73
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    Wonderful to see Apple investing and pushing OSX. Airplay from Macs is going to be a stunning feature

And in typical Apple fashion, they have a developer build ready for download. Today

Go Mountain Lion!
  • Reply 22 of 73
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Apple is in the business of making money (shocking to consider I know). They would never knowingly create something that has a restricted market. IF they sell a tv this would be but one small feature in the system.

Hence I used the word 'Even' although I would not bet either way at this point. One thing I am willing to bet is that there will be a ton of features exclusive to the Apple eco system.
  • Reply 23 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I had 3 wishes for the original Lion:

1. Fullscreen button

2. AirPlay for Quicktime

3. Decent mouse tracking software

Now I'm getting two of those.

+ more recently iMessage

+ unified notifications and push notifications for Mail

I am so fucking happy today!!! Apple makes software genuinely cool and Apple makey me happy :-)

This is all very nice and exciting. I wonder if there is some kind of negative feed back, that makes the AAPL stock plummeting.
  • Reply 24 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

This is all very nice and exciting. I wonder if there is some kind of negative feed back, that makes the AAPL stock plummeting.

I think that's Greece. It plummeted yesterday, too.
  • Reply 25 of 73
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

The market didn't react to this announcement yet. Besides, the market doesn't understand the important of software announcements anyway. Be patient. The Nasdaq probably went down yesterday, but I'd bet when AAPL when through the roof people made a quick sell off to make some money. I should have done it myself, would have made a handy €4,000 if I bought back the same number of shares I have right now.
  • Reply 26 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Since Siri isn't voice recognition (it merely uses it as an interface), couldn't Apple go all out against Google and allow text input for Siri on your computer?

I don't see that happening. That could get confusing for the consumer.
  • Reply 27 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I wonder what it also does for the up coming 'iTV' that isn't known yet? In all the chatter about the traditional TV makers regarding competing with the suspected new Apple 'iTV' on the basis of screen quality etc. the one thing that mustn't be forgotten is no one else can build a TV that literally becomes part of the Apple eco system and I mean iOS and OS X as well has Apple hardware. Even if Apple can only sell the iTV to existing Apple product owners ... that is one big market!

I dream about iTV.

I dream of having an all-in-on TV + living room entertainment system from Apple powered by one remote. I've had this dream for 6 years now. It's going to be a long time coming, but it's one of the reasons for my recent AAPL buying sprees. That and the iPad. And the China retail expansion, especially. And the iPhone, the Mac, the App Stores and the ever increasing Apple drive towards simplification of our technology device lives, which in turn is I think the key to their strengthening brand globally.
  • Reply 28 of 73
    With full computer mirroring is it now possible to mirror any video from the comp to your Apple tv regardless of format. For instance, if I have a .avi and perian installed, will I be able to mirror the video and audio to my Apple tv?

If so, this is absolutely huge.. no longer require my Xbox 360 to stream these file to my TV.
  • Reply 29 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appSavy View Post

Siri for Mac should be next on Mountain Lion.

Browse internet with simple voice commands.

Just curious, what do you need your hands free to do?
  • Reply 30 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jhende7 View Post

With full computer mirroring is it now possible to mirror any video from the comp to your Apple tv regardless of format. For instance, if I have a .avi and perian installed, will I be able to mirror the video and audio to my Apple tv?

Yes, you'd be mirroring the computer instead of a specific application that has restrictions on file formats.

Bandwidth consequently increases, but you can do it.
  • Reply 31 of 73
    Does this mean I'll be able to watch The Simpsons on my HDTV via Hulu.com? The Simpsons is one of those shows not available on Hulu+.
  • Reply 32 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I don't see that happening. That could get confusing for the consumer.

What's confusing? It would be Siri, but allow both voice and text input. The latter if you don't want to be seen talking to your computer.

Me, I'd start practicing my best Scottish accent. "Computer..."
  • Reply 33 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yes, you'd be mirroring the computer instead of a specific application that has restrictions on file formats.

I'm guessing specific apps could prevent mirroring their video, ala Hulu+ on the iPad.
  • Reply 34 of 73
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Wow!

Now they're really blurring the lines between the need for even creating a full-fledged Apple HDTV and just releasing a new and improved ATV box. I know this is not really on topic but it does beg the question.

If you have a Mac, why own a full Apple HDTV?

If you currently have an ATV, why bother with a full HDTV?

I know the TV will have much more living-room-type of features so i'll just wait and see.
  • Reply 35 of 73
    Quote:

That's excellent. I can't see increased bandwidth being a huge concern if all devices are on a N network. Plus the fact that it's all of the LAN, means it's not hitting our paltry usage allowance from the ISP.
  • Reply 36 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

I'm guessing specific apps could prevent mirroring their video, ala Hulu+ on the iPad.

I doubt it. Before it was simply a case of not including the functionality for AirPlay at all, and that was that.

But now that the entire OS does it, they don't have any say in the matter whatsoever. Screw 'em.

Also, does anyone else think that the Notification Center's entrance in the desktop space will kill off Growl?
  • Reply 37 of 73
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Quote:

I doubt it. Before it was simply a case of not including the functionality for AirPlay at all, and that was that.

But now that the entire OS does it, they don't have any say in the matter whatsoever. Screw 'em.

Also, does anyone else think that the Notification Center's entrance in the desktop space will kill off Growl?

Yep, growl is a gonner.
  • Reply 38 of 73
    Quote:

I'll bet it's stupid computer-driven trading that kicked in on the way up, and kicking in on the way down. Normal cr4p volatility that we need to become used to vis-a-vis AAPL...... sigh.

Keep the faith, focus on the long run, focus on what the stock has done relative to its price a few weeks ago.
  • Reply 39 of 73
    Quote:

I think that's Greece. It plummeted yesterday, too.

AAPL has been far more volatile.
  • Reply 40 of 73
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    This is really nice feature and I was looking forward for it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by womble2k2 View Post

Really hope the next gen Apple TV adds 1080p (back again), and that AirPlay supports it.

Scaling a screen back to 720p will make smaller fonts and fine detail difficult to see.

Phil

I remember when Apple released AppleTV 2 there was some talk about the hardware being capable of 1080p output.