Apple unveils Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion coming this summer with 100+ new features

Comments

• Reply 101 of 273
    Very well done here.

It appears that Lion was never going to be the iCloud savvy OS that I had imagined and that Mtn Lion will be that creature.

I, for one, like the iOSification of OS X. I believe the mobile devices to be the breeding ground for new UI conventions and I've really grown accustomed to the workflow on iOS and with gestures now becoming important on both devices this melding of UI is a good thing.

Looks like I won't have to load my system up with extensions like Growl and we now have a nice syncing tool for notes that supports pictures.

One thing I noticed that I really like is the ability to pick up from where you left off on iMessage. I learned the hard way that today things aren't quite so seamless.

I welcome the new annual upgrades to OS X
  • Reply 102 of 273
    This makes me wonder if this will be the last major version of Mac OS X before they introduce a new OS direction — that in all honesty is just more of the same direction*— in 2013 for release in 2014.

PS: Nailed the name!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Apple has a habit of doubling the required amount of memory every release or so. Let's hope this isn't the case with Mountain Lion.

Cheetah/Puma/Jaguar/Panther - 128MB

Tiger - 256MB

Leopard - 512MB

Snow Leopard - 1GB

Lion - 2GB

Not going to happen of most of the new MBAs wouldn't make the cut.
  • Reply 103 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

defaults write com.apple.finder QLEnableTextSelection -bool TRUE; killall Finder

That is damn handy.
  • Reply 104 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

Wow, still only 720p. Sad.

Yes, flawless wireless streaming and mirrored content at only 720p? Sad.
  • Reply 105 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [Greg] View Post

Cook talked about the halo effect from the iPhone being much stronger than the iPod's ever was. This OSX update is going to drive a HUGE halo effect. The driver of the halo effect won't change, but the back end conversion rate will.

Once the person is driven into an Apple store by the "this device is awesome -- I want to see what else they make", having all these familiar apps and features (messages, reminders and notification center are probably the biggest in this regard) is going to be incredibly compelling.

Great news for shareholders.

Perhaps later, but not today. Down to $491. But my guess was Renaissance Capital want some cash in a hurry and sold lots stock. Could be that Greek Default talk drags on for another week, Renaissance' client got cold feet and want to cash out now. So the fund sell some AAPL. Happens all the time.

I'm going to assume that any AAPL blip from now until end of March happens from some investment banks and big funds want lots of cash fast. Apple stock is a kind of a piggy bank now...

Back again in Friday then. We should know more why there is a blip today.
  • Reply 106 of 273
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matt_s View Post

Can't wait to have my $2500+ laptop act just like a $49 cell phone. Oh joy.

Yes, because ADDING features will obviously do as you stated. Idiotic post of the day.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, what is the vision and direction you see for OSX, seriously? To make it LESS integrated and compatible with iOS? To NOT take advantage of iCloud and syncing? What features do you think most people need or want? My guess is that you don't really have a clue. If you do, give us a list of 10 features that you think Apple should add to OSX that would benefit most consumers.
  • Reply 107 of 273
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    Almost totally unrelated (but not completely), ENIAC turned 66 today. For some of the youngsters here, just Google the name.
  • Reply 108 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

Apple has a habit of doubling the required amount of memory every release or so. Let's hope this isn't the case with Mountain Lion.

Cheetah/Puma/Jaguar/Panther - 128MB

Tiger - 256MB

Leopard - 512MB

Snow Leopard - 1GB

Lion - 2GB

no way. 2GB will probably remain
  • Reply 109 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

By iOS-esque I hope he means price too. The last OS X upgrade cost $29. iOS upgrades don't cost a thing.

And iOS updates only go back 3 years which usually means some features can't make it, yet with Mac OS X updates they go back 5-6 years and every feature comes with it for a machine type.

It's so odd to hear people complain about $29 for an major desktop OS update. Seriously?! You have to know that the accounting of the iDevices using iOS are different than with Macs, not to mention the level of complexity and scope between the two OSes.
  • Reply 110 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Yes, flawless wireless streaming and mirrored content at only 720p? Sad.

Again, the Apple TV take 2 can't (read: Apple won't let it) output higher than 720p. When the next one comes out, they'll advertise full 1080p output. But they can't very well do that when the device isn't out yet.
  • Reply 111 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

]

My computer. I install what I want if I so choose.

Forced is the wrong word. No one is forcing you to use anything. You can still download outside the App Store
  • Reply 112 of 273
    Isn't it strange there is no Facebook integration? They're adding Twitter, just like on iOS, but could this still be the result of Facebooks' absurd amount of money they asked from Apple/Jobs for integration with iTunes Ping?
  • Reply 113 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

Sounds to me like you'd want integration with iMovie then. No format with a data rate low enough to be able to beam that fast would be anything close to a pro format. Besides they've already got iMovie for iOS

The iPad can handle editing h.264 video just fine, and ingest it rather quickly with the CCK.

The iPad edit could be done with iMovie or Avid Studio -- or maybe a flavor of FCP X for the iPad.

While one iPad is doing the fast turn-around edit, another could do an ingest and upload of the source data.

This would work over cell or better over WiFi.

Once uploaded to the cloud, you can edit directly from the cloud with FCP X -- I've edited using source clips on iDisk.

I'm talking about short highlight videos edited in the field... And the full video available later (news at 11:00).

Here's an interesting video... At about 21:37 it shows the concept of using dual codecs -- one for fast turnaround and a second for pro editing:

Michael Cioni talks 4K workflow and FCP proxies for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

• Reply 114 of 273
    Quote:

Again, the Apple TV take 2 can't (read: Apple won't let it) output higher than 720p. When the next one comes out, they'll advertise full 1080p output. But they can't very well do that when the device isn't out yet.

And it makes no sense for Apple to release an AppleTV that can output 720p until they have iTS content that is also 1080p. Now I've heard that they have secured many of the rights thus far and have getting content owners to upload 1080p content in whatever bitrate was agreed upon. I wouldn't be surprised if this was an extra $1 per video over 720p if it's a substantial increase in the file size, but if they follow other distributors that claim 1080p but with bitrates around Apple's 720p (or worse) then I assume it will cost the same.
  • Reply 115 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And it makes no sense for Apple to release an AppleTV that can output 720p until they have iTS content that is also 1080p.

With Mountain Lion, Apple might not have 1080p content, but Mac owners certainly will. 1080p will come soon.
  • Reply 116 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And it makes no sense for Apple to release an AppleTV that can output 720p until they have iTS content that is also 1080p. Now I've heard that they have secured many of the rights thus far and have getting content owners to upload 1080p content in whatever bitrate was agreed upon. I wouldn't be surprised if this was an extra $1 per video over 720p if it's a substantial increase in the file size, but if they follow other distributors that claim 1080p but with bitrates around Apple's 720p (or worse) then I assume it will cost the same.

Would 3.8Mbps be an acceptable bitrate for that sort of thing?
  • Reply 117 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Isn't it strange there is no Facebook integration? They're adding Twitter, just like on iOS, but could this still be the result of Facebooks' absurd amount of money they asked from Apple/Jobs for integration with iTunes Ping?

Not really strange at all. Facebook is all about being exclusive...that's what keeps people coming back. They also don't allow for other social networks to use your facebook friends...except Instagram...
  • Reply 118 of 273
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

So much for the stupid, "Lion will be the last version of OS X," meme. Apple just put a bullet in that meme's head.

A good example of metaphor inflation.©Flaneur, 2012

Edit: Actually I see that I was anticipated at this curious website: http://www.thirdworldcounty.us/?p=10591
  • Reply 119 of 273
    Quote:

Personally, I'm a little bothered by how fast this came. It seems to me they'd want to kill as much time as possible before they hit OS XI so that development can properly get done. I still expect a paradigm shifting multitouch desktop computer platform with that, not some jacked up "oh, we added a multitouch screen to the exact same desktop OS everyone's already using" crap.

There isn't going to be an OS XI. Just Mac iOS.
  • Reply 120 of 273
    Quote:

I was being sarcastic. Complaining about *only* 720p when it's a marvelous new method of streaming video?