iPad market share hit by deep PlayBook price cut in Canada

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

If I understand you right, you paid $200 for a 7" flat-screen TV that doesn't even have a DVD drive built in?

Yep. The best thing about it is, once I left it on a table at McDonald's. Went back five minutes later and it was turned in to the manager. Nobody wants to steal it.
  • Reply 42 of 51
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realwarder View Post

It's not really surprising given the prices of the playbook.

Playbook is actually a really neat OS that has multi-tasking that puts the iPad to shame.

From a technical perspective, yes. From a user perspective, not really.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    was in futureshop, and someone was looking for the 64GB version... they were sold out.
  • Reply 44 of 51
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by See Flat View Post

I'm Canadian and I've never seen it a PlayBook in anyone's hands. I saw one once at a stand in a mall... but it did not work.

how true!... was on the bus and saw one in 2011, when it was full price, and ask him if he got if for free... he said yes... BTW he was listening to music...
  • Reply 45 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by realwarder View Post

It's not really surprising given the prices of the playbook.

Playbook is actually a really neat OS that has multi-tasking that puts the iPad to shame. I almost got one to add to my collection of tablets when they had sales.

Neat unit. Lack of software killed it.

Yes, you can have all kinds of things running in the background - sucking the life out of your battery. I personally think Apple made some very good decisions about what's allowed to run in the background. Now if they'd just get rid of that stupid "most recently run" apps list, I'd be happy.
  • Reply 46 of 51
    I wonder what would happen if Apple decided to hold a fire sale for iPads like RIM and HP did? Apple has over $100 billion in the bank, so they could easily drop the iPad price to, oh say $99, for like a month, just for fun, just to watch the slaughter. I'd love it.
  • Reply 47 of 51
    With an aggregate population in Canada of just over 34 million, it's estimated that roughly 5% of the population have a tablet device (1.7 million). I haven't seen the breakdown by country, just best guesses and estimates, but if Apple has that "68%" cited in the article that represents an estimated 1.5 million iPads in Canada.
  • Reply 48 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

...while people hold back for the iPad 3, prepare for some whoopassing after .

I was thinking the same thing.

also, is the share lower because sales are lower or because the total units are higher or a combo

It's like the whole Kindle/Kindle fire thing. Claims were may that it was lowering the iPads market share but iPad sales haven't really dropped, the total units have gone up. so by the rules of math of course the percent is lower

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

With an aggregate population in Canada of just over 34 million, it's estimated that roughly 5% of the population have a tablet device

Which means there are plenty of folks left to buy a tablet and decrease Apple's cut of an increasing total without a drop in iPad sales.

Also how many of those folks bought a Playbook so they are counted in the sales, but then returned it for something else. Sales are never adjusted for returns after all.
  • Reply 49 of 51
    tnsftnsf Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Please learn something about statistical sampling techniques. Comments like this reflect a basic lack of knowledge.

No, it represents knowledge of consumer behaviour.

You can sample as many people as you want to get a "statistically valid" sample size, but the truth is you're still only collecting what people SAID they did or will do, and not what they ACTUALLY did or will do.

Survey results should not be confused with sales figures. Period.
  • Reply 50 of 51
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by See Flat View Post

I'm Canadian and I've never seen it a PlayBook in anyone's hands. I saw one once at a stand in a mall... but it did not work.

You needed to pair it with your phone. Man that must really make demo units worthless. This whole thing was bad even by RIM standards.

Is the fire even for sale in Canada? If not, RIM will soon have real trouble,. Having used both a playbook and the fire extensively, there is no contest. The Playbook is the worst tablet released in the past two years. There is nothing neat about it. The person who claimed it has good multitasking has clearly never used one. (Maybe he was thinking of the touchpad?) Top to bottom, the playbook is pure crap.
  • Reply 51 of 51
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TNSF View Post

No, it represents knowledge of consumer behaviour.

You can sample as many people as you want to get a "statistically valid" sample size, but the truth is you're still only collecting what people SAID they did or will do, and not what they ACTUALLY did or will do.

Survey results should not be confused with sales figures. Period.

I agree, the issue is not the statistical methods. It is the characterization of the meaning of the results in this article.

Canadians will say a lot about RIM because they know it is a local company. That does not mean they want to prop up RIM crap with their cash.