Apple unveils Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion coming this summer with 100+ new features

Comments

• Reply 161 of 273
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Having that real GPU has allowed me a longer usable life span for my MBP than I would have had otherwise. Descrete GPUs are highly reccomended even today.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Misa View Post

IMO,

If Apple is dropping support for some 64-bit Mac's, it's probably has to do entirely with the Video or CPU features. Like they're probably dropping support for the systems that can't do OpenGL.

The White iMac's have GMA, Radeon 1600(OpenCL added during the 4000 series) or Geforce 7300GT (OpenCL was added during the 8600M series) but this doesn't exactly make sense since the ATI models in the next set of iMac's are the ATI 2600HD, and don't support OpenCL either.

The other possibility that came to mind was Intel VT-x support for hardware assisted sandboxing or something, but the C2D polycarbonite iMac's have C2D's that support this.

So in looking at the cut offs...

iMac (mid 2007 or later)

- Has HD2600 or better

? MacBook (13-inch Aluminum, 2008), (13-inch, Early 2009 or later)

Has Geforce 9400M or better

? MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid-2009 or later), (15-inch, 2.4/2.2 GHz), (17-inch, Late 2007 or later) are all models with the Geforce 9400M or better (assuming intel's video isn't laughable)

? MacBook Air (Late 2008 or later) - Are Geforce 9400M or better

? Mac Mini (Early 2009 or later) - Geforce 9400M or better

? Mac Pro (Early 2008 or later) - Radeon HD 2600 XT or better

? Xserve (Early 2009) , no idea.

So all that's been established is that only the models using Geforce 9400M or Radeon HD2600 are supported (or the HD Graphics that are part of the Core i5/i7 series)

Though it seems that if it was for OpenCL, that doesn't quite fit. The only fitting answer is that they don't want to support the GMA and any GPU older than the Geforce 9400M and Radeon HD2600

• Reply 162 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

The icon to which you refer is the Notification Center icon. If you click the icon the desktop slides to the left and approximately 20% of the current screen becomes hidden while the notification center replaces said desktop real estate.

Hopefully that can be activated by a gesture. Gestures are just so much quicker on a trackpad.
  • Reply 163 of 273
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Filmantopia View Post

It'll continue to borrow forever?

Yes, there will never be a final absolute ultimate iteration of either GUI

Quote:

If Apple makes the Mac iOS interface akin to iMovie or Final Cut Pro x, the interface will be only need to be slightly modified (as it already is between the iPhone and iPad) to work on all devices.

It will still need to be different because the screen sizes are different. iMOVIE and FCP on OSX have a menu bar, remember.
  • Reply 164 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Hopefully that can be activated by a gesture. Gestures are just so much quicker on a trackpad.

Great thought.

I couldn't ascribe any clicks, gestures or taps with either the default system preferences or BetterTouchToo. Additionally, I tried create a workflow using Automator but was unsuccessful.

I will submit that feedback.
  • Reply 165 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Enjoy your past! We'll enjoy the present.

Don't worry I will.
  • Reply 166 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

maybe already covered in this long thread, but what major features of iOS are still missing from OS.X after Mountain Lion? is this the ultimate integration?

True touch support (i.e. a multi-touch display, not a trackpad).

But it's debatable whether that'll ever be practical, as it may not be best suited for the form factor of PCs.
  • Reply 167 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

For one: Multiple resizable, overlapping windows open at the same time -- the ability to drag and drop from one to the other.

When you think about it, in many situations you can be more productive with multiple windows.

When MS previewed Windows 8 on a tablet, they showed the ability to drag a second app to half of the display which was then shared among the 2 apps... interesting!

That's true. But there's nothing set in stone that says iOS can't do that. Look at how the iPad has a slightly different UI than the iPhone, despite running the same OS.

The reason why iOS is limited right now is so as to maximize the form factor and make things easier to use.
  • Reply 168 of 273

Thinking out loud here...

AirPlay....

First iPhone/Touch/iPad AirPlay to ATV2

Now, add Mac AirPlay to ATV2

Soon ATV3...

So the infrastructure will soon be in place that any Apple device, Mac or iDevice, will be able to AirPlay to an humongous display connected to an ATV3.

And AirPlay is something that ATV3 will pull from a device as opposed to receiving it.

What room couldn't/wouldn't take advantage of this capability?

Class room, board room, meeting room, war room, game room, operating room, living room, lecture room, training room, room, lecture room, baby's room...

I can remember -- it was a very, very big deal when each class room got a Color TV and A VCR -- or a preso/board room had a reverse screen projector.

I can see this being a no-brainer... Why wouldn't you spend $99 to attach an ATV to any (every) HDTV -- if only to be able to pull AirPlay to it?

• Reply 169 of 273
    To your point the release notes explicitly state that no 32-bit kernel extensions will be supported.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypercommunist View Post

As we suggested might happen in our Lion review, Mountain Lion's developer preview appears to do away with support for any Mac that cannot boot into OS X's 64-bit kernel.

• Reply 170 of 273
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    The last thing I want is my Mac to be more like my iPod. Crossing fingers that Apple doesn't screw this up...
  • Reply 171 of 273
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I can see this being a no-brainer... Why wouldn't you spend $99 to attach an ATV to any (every) HDTV -- if only to be able to pull AirPlay to it?

Agreed it's a not brainer. Every HDTV display become a larger display for your Mac now as well as iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch.

I suspect that the ATV will become more and more of a presenter's tool and tossed in the bag with other items.

I'm looking forward to buying video content and keeping it in the cloud so that I can just access it from a bunch of different devices.

One thing is for sure. 802.11ac is going to be a necessity sooner rather than later.
  • Reply 172 of 273
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    1 year, a new app and a few tweaks, plus a shitload of security fixes? Sounds like while Windows users get a whole new user interface and touch functionality, Apple users will be buying what MS give away for free, a service pack.
  • Reply 173 of 273
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

I would expect it to be added before release. You have to keep in mind that they have to make a deal with publishers to allow this.

No they dont! If they sold me the content, why cant I read it on a laptop? thats like saying that Walmart has to get differant rights to sell a DVD to watch on my laptop vs my big screen, that cant be right...
  • Reply 174 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

1 year, a new app and a few tweaks, plus a shitload of security fixes? Sounds like while Windows users get a whole new user interface and touch functionality, Apple users will be buying what MS give away for free, a service pack.

That's one of the oldest trolling points in the book.
  • Reply 175 of 273
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Ok, smart ass, go ahead and take the retail price of Windows best consumer version of Windows 7 and divide that cost by the number of Service Packs it gets before Windows 8 comes out. Now compare that to the $29 for each retail cost of Mac OS X for it's best consumer version between the same time frames. Can you guess which one is cheaper?
  • Reply 176 of 273
    I see OSX is finally catching up to desktop Linux distributions, which have had most of these features for some time.
  • Reply 177 of 273
    Wow. Did anyone see this coming today? Didn't think I could be surprised anymore. Impressive.

• Reply 178 of 273
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

I see OSX is finally catching up to desktop Linux distributions, which have had most of these features for some time.

These posts crack me up. having a rudimentary version of something and having something that is well integrated and usable are two different things.
  • Reply 179 of 273
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

True touch support (i.e. a multi-touch display, not a trackpad).

But it's debatable whether that'll ever be practical, as it may not be best suited for the form factor of PCs.

right that's not in ML, nor the ability to run iOS apps like widgets. i don't think we'll ever see that in OS X. just seamless integration of what the apps actually do (not the UI) between iOS and OS X. so you start with one and can pick up and finish with the other or vice versa, via iCloud. i get the impression Mountain Lion opens up API's for third party apps to do this too, yes?

didn't mention it, but i certainly do expect Siri to be added to ML for its release. Apple is just saving that news for a big splash at WWDC. Siri will also be coming out of beta by then and probably with a lot more abilities added too.
  • Reply 180 of 273
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msuberly View Post

By iOS-esque I hope he means price too. The last OS X upgrade cost $29. iOS upgrades don't cost a thing.

Lol. Complaining about $29/year for OS updates...