Gatekeeper is hidden in OS X 10.7.3 Lion, developers can preview it now

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014

Though it will formally debut later this year in Mountain Lion, Apple has secretly included its new Gatekeeper feature in OS X 10.7.3 Lion, and developers can enable it now to test it.

Apple revealed to developers on Thursday that Gatekeeper is available but disabled in OS X 10.7.3. It informs them that it can be turned on by using the new OS X system policy control command-line tool "spctl(8)".

The command-line tool can be enabled with the command "sudo spctl -- enable" and to turn it off, a developer can simply type "sudo spctl --disable".

The hidden feature is a way for developers to test their applications with Gatekeeper and Apple's new Developer ID Program. Gatekeeper is currently of no use to end users in Lion, as developers have not yet begun to add Developer ID credentials to their applications.

Apple has said that Gatekeeper is designed to help prevent users from "unknowingly downloading and installing malicious software." Mountain Lion users will have the option of only allowing software from the Mac App Store, installing Mac App Store applications in addition to identified developers, or allowing applications to be installed from anywhere.

Developers were also provided on Thursday with a new build of Safari in the form of version 5.2 for Lion. Available for download through Apple's development center, it includes visual and user interface tweaks, like merging the search and address bars.

Developers can also download the new Xcode 4.4, which includes compiler support for Objective-C enhancements and an editor for Collada 3D files. It requires OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion or OS X 10.7.3 Lion, and is required for developers to test Mountain lion applications.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    I must say for prerelease software this is probably the least buggy version of OS X I have ever tested when it comes from the Developer Site; it seems very efficient and did speed up my test bed machine.

This feature is a good idea.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    it's an amazing idea! i only fear something...

i have a brand new macbook air i7 with 4 gb ram.

i am a little afraid that 4gb is not going to be enough for mountain lion or the one after that.

by enough i mean enough for it to work perfectly.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    This is the beginning of marketing... positioning the idea of the Mac App store as the only safe source of software... and the end shot is the end of software written just anywhere. Given long enough that is the end game, and this is the first veeeerrrry subtle marketing shift to that.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnjacobjingleheimerschmidt View Post

This is the beginning of marketing... positioning the idea of the Mac App store as the only safe source of software... and the end shot is the end of software written just anywhere. Given long enough that is the end game, and this is the first veeeerrrry subtle marketing shift to that.

• Reply 5 of 6
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by johnjacobjingleheimerschmidt View Post

And the sooner the better. There is absolutely no reason why a developer shouldn't be required to pass basic credentials before he or she sells or gives me software. At a minimum I want Apple to know who they are and make them agree not to put malicious software on my computer. Or at least I should have the option to select such a standard for my computer.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

And the sooner the better. There is absolutely no reason why a developer shouldn't be required to pass basic credentials before he or she sells or gives me software. At a minimum I want Apple to know who they are and make them agree not to put malicious software on my computer. Or at least I should have the option to select such a standard for my computer.

And that is essentially what this Gatekeeper thing is about.