Apple unveils Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion coming this summer with 100+ new features

Comments

• Reply 181 of 273
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    btw, didn't anyone notice that Apple released this ML developer preview just two weeks before MS will release its Windows 8 consumer preview at the MWC?

not that Apple would want to steal the show from them ...
  • Reply 182 of 273
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

btw, didn't anyone notice that Apple released this ML developer preview just two weeks before MS will release its Windows 8 consumer preview at the MWC?

not that Apple would want to steal the show from them ...

Usually they seem to come out right after someone else makes an announcement which sucks all the oxygen out of the room, so to speak, but I don't think they had that luxury this time around. Perhaps not entirely but I think the timing was more to put it between their events. In this case iBooks Author and the iPad/AppleTV/iPod/iTunes event in early March.
  • Reply 183 of 273
    Even microsoft followed vista with windows 7...

Touting a reminders app and a notes app, twitter integration, and a couple of safari tweaks as new features...

Hasn't ANYONE in the os x team have ANY vision whatsoever? Does no one have any guts to stand up and say, what the hell are we releasing as a new os?

Or is the vision to just morph os x to ios so more iphone users can buy macs?

Ghastly news...
  • Reply 184 of 273
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The first Core 2 chips can't boot to 64-bit EFI. If they're not in the dev previews, they won't be in the final.

They can:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3773
  • Reply 185 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Touting a reminders app and a notes app, twitter integration, and a couple of safari tweaks as new features...

Hasn't ANYONE in the os x team have ANY vision whatsoever? Does no one have any guts to stand up and say, what the hell are we releasing as a new os?

Ghastly news...

Take a step back and realize you're complaining about an update you don't have to install, pay attention to, or even care about at all.
  • Reply 186 of 273
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Ghastly news...

You can't seem to get beyond a glossy screen versus matte. Why should we expect you to glean anything on a more technical level?
  • Reply 187 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

They can:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3773

Oh, neat (except that link doesn't actually say anything about any of those devices being able to do that…)

But they're still not going to work with Mountain Lion. If it's not supported by the Developer Preview, it's not going to be supported.
  • Reply 188 of 273
    I'm hoping that Apple's addition of Game Center to ML, along with the "new graphics underpinnings" supports better performance for high end games that significantly utilize the dedicated ATI hardware Apple has been touting for years. I've always been hesitant to switch to Macs for gaming only because I tend to play system-taxing games that would be held back by the performance of the video drivers on the Mac. Otherwise, a MacBook Pro or Mac Pro would be stellar systems for 3D games.
  • Reply 189 of 273
    Quote:

Ghastly news...

• Reply 190 of 273
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Then there is the story of the girl who had circles all over her body... People kept touching her with a ten-foot pole

• Reply 191 of 273
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Thinking out loud here...

AirPlay....

First iPhone/Touch/iPad AirPlay to ATV2

Now, add Mac AirPlay to ATV2

Soon ATV3...

So the infrastructure will soon be in place that any Apple device, Mac or iDevice, will be able to AirPlay to an humongous display connected to an ATV3.

And AirPlay is something that ATV3 will pull from a device as opposed to receiving it.

What room couldn't/wouldn't take advantage of this capability?

Class room, board room, meeting room, war room, game room, operating room, living room, lecture room, training room, room, lecture room, baby's room...

I can remember -- it was a very, very big deal when each class room got a Color TV and A VCR -- or a preso/board room had a reverse screen projector.

I can see this being a no-brainer... Why wouldn't you spend $99 to attach an ATV to any (every) HDTV -- if only to be able to pull AirPlay to it?

What we also need, methinks, is the ability to stream from one computer or iPad to many iPads or iPhones simultaneously. Maybe we can already via some app or other?
  • Reply 192 of 273
    If I have one complaint it's that I expected all this stuff to come with Lion last year.
  • Reply 193 of 273
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IanRid View Post

So that's a load of features I don't need. But is it going to work faster and more reliably?

You THINK you don't need.

From an iOS user this update is a really welcome one. The syncs will be more on its place, with notes in its own application, Messages, Notifications, everything is just what all want.

Perfect move from Apple. Never sleep.
  • Reply 194 of 273
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Ghastly news...

Ok so now we're supposed to be outraged that Apple is still putting major attention on OSX and we'll have new features sooner than we ever expected. Last week it was outrage that Apple has 'abandoned' OSX.

Let me know guys, its tough to keep up.
  • Reply 195 of 273
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mikeb85 View Post

I see OSX is finally catching up to desktop Linux distributions, which have had most of these features for some time.

OSX is 'catching up' to shitily-implemented features in an OS that nobody uses. Good for linux.

I propose we start a petition, so we can solve this outrage. For their next OS, we should petition Apple to include every single feature and every single implementation of said feature that is available on every single OS out there, both in their current forms, and also any feature that might also be included in any other OS in the future, spanning an infinite timeframe. This way, APple will never need to 'catch-up'.

ML has really brought out the stupid today.
  • Reply 196 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Ok so now we're supposed to be outraged that Apple is still putting major attention on OSX and we'll have new features sooner than we ever expected. Last week it was outrage that Apple has 'abandoned' OSX.

Let me know guys, its tough to keep up.

It's fucking insane how some people react.

"Apple is focusing on Mac OS faster and more heavily than we expected? That reminds me: How dare they not focus on the Mac." and "Apple is adding new features while not taking away old features? That reminds me: How dare they take away old features."
  • Reply 197 of 273
    "Incredibly successful release of Lion"? There's a 150-page "discussion" on the Apple Forum, one of several such threads, that indicate the release was anything but successful. Sure, if you blatanltly misrepresent a weak product, people are going to buy it based on their expectations from the past. For Apple to try and ignore what's gone down with Lion is outrageous.

And oh, how we so love those great iPad and iOS operating systems. Buy me an app for my birthday! And who can live without "Siri"? Systems designed for children.

Yup, we're dealing with just another big corporation now, bloated with bureaucrats, order takers, and a largely Chinese workforce, unable or unwilling to respond to its still-hopeful computer users who want to remain a a part of the dream. But whose dream? They know what we need so much better than we do ourselves..

Maybe it's time to start looking elsewhere -- or for Apple to cut loose the Mac division and let it sink or swim without the baggage of the digital toys. Keep the compatibility but lose the lame interface designs and performance. I bet it -- and we -- would do just fine.
  • Reply 198 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cyberoid View Post

Maybe it's time to start looking elsewhere -- or for Apple to cut loose the Mac division and let it sink or swim without the baggage of the digital toys. Keep the compatibility but lose the lame interface designs and performance. I bet it -- and we -- would do just fine.

I agree that you should start looking elsewhere.
  • Reply 199 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IanRid View Post

So that's a load of features I don't need. But is it going to work faster and more reliably?

Right. Features that further degrade the Mac experience, that blend it into an "Apple experience" mush, are features that can be done without. I don't want my Apple Mail to look like an iPhone list. What about new ideas beyond cellphones?
  • Reply 200 of 273
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I agree that you should start looking elsewhere.

Thanks for the confirmation.