First Look: Messages for Mac

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

With iChat, wasn't there an option to log all chats locally? I'd disabled it, I think. I don't see the option to disable it in Messages and my chats have started logging to iChats folder. Perhaps you had logging enabled and you weren't aware?

I know for a fact that I have always had mine off. And that wouldn't explain how this appeared on a clean install of Lion with NOTHING carried over, particularly when my mother and I have had hundreds of iChat conversations since that one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Interesting. I didn't know AIM kept a history server side.

The worst part is that this REAL BREACH OF PRIVACY will NEVER receive the same media attention that Apple's nonexistent and completely unintentional/harmless 'breaches' will.
  • Reply 22 of 42
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The worst part is that this REAL BREACH OF PRIVACY will NEVER receive the same media attention that Apple's nonexistent and completely unintentional/harmless 'breaches' will.

This Contacts issue didn't really get much press for being a real security issue.
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Quote:

This Contacts issue didn't really get much press for being a real security issue.

Oh, I wasn't talking about that specifically; they've had other problems in the past (that I've seen on TV news, even?) that weren't of any real concern to any users that have been overblown by the media.
  • Reply 24 of 42
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

With iChat, wasn't there an option to log all chats locally? I'd disabled it, I think. I don't see the option to disable it in Messages and my chats have started logging to iChats folder. Perhaps you had logging enabled and you weren't aware?

I'm on a new computer with a clean OS. EVen if they were logged locally, they shouldn't be here.

And no, this is google Talk, not AIM.
  • Reply 25 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Oh, well, Google keeps those forever, then. That's probably not an error.

Dang it, now I don't have any idea why mine does this.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Oh, well, Google keeps those forever, then. That's probably not an error.

Dang it, now I don't have any idea why mine does this.

That's irrelevant. iChat/Messages don't have access to Google's chat histories, which can be selectively deleted anytime from within gmail. The only place these can be pulled from is Apple's servers. I find it very strange they would be there in the first place.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    At least you guys can see *something*. Messages worked for me for a while then started crashing on start. Even after a reboot, it crashes every time I run it, after about 3 seconds.
  • Reply 28 of 42
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

So you want iChat, FaceTime and iMessages to be separate apps? Why????

I am a minimal guy who does text chats mostly with the odd photo or screenshot, never need video chat, nor other features. I wanted Messages for iPad literally replicated 100% on the Mac. I don't need anything else. And if I ever did for some reason I could always open iChat or FaceTime or Skype. I just want messages. The app for Mac that I want would be called iMessage. I'll survive, but I'd rather have what I'd rather have, you know.
  • Reply 29 of 42
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I am a minimal guy who does text chats mostly with the odd photo or screenshot, never need video chat, nor other features. I wanted Messages for iPad literally replicated 100% on the Mac. I don't need anything else. And if I ever did for some reason I could always open iChat or FaceTime or Skype. I just want messages. The app for Mac that I want would be called iMessage.

You get that with Messages. All you have to do is no add any accounts besides iMessages in the settings. It's that simple. You only see the split-pan window with your list of iMessages conversations on the left and your conversations on the right. It's pretty much exactly like the iPad app.

You say you want no options for preferences but that's just silly and anal retentive. Imagine the complaints if Apple did that with Mac apps, which wouldn't even happen because Messages has preferences under Settings in iOS. Simply don't choose Preferences from the Menu Bar. You can even keep it as a full screen app if you want to make it more iPad-esque.
  • Reply 30 of 42
    Quote:

That's irrelevant. iChat/Messages don't have access to Google's chat histories?

Do you know that? If Messages can pull down your list of Google Chat contacts when you set up a Google Chat account and your AIM buddies when you log in with your AIM account, why couldn't it pull down your saved chats?

Quote:

The only place these can be pulled from is Apple's servers.

That's just not the case. That's probably the least likely scenario. It's probably just pulling them from their original source: AIM's secret evil storage of our stuff for AIM chats, Google's repository for Google Chat, and iMessage logs for iMessages.
  • Reply 31 of 42
    Just a little tip for people looking to make sure their conversations are syncing across Mac and iOS devices...

Make sure you have your phone setup properly in the Messages App settings and matches your email address (Apple ID) used on your Mac when you setup Messages Beta.

On your iPhone go to Settings --> Messages --> Receive At --> Caller ID and then select your email address associated with your Apple ID instead of your phone #.

This makes it so when someone messages you on your phone and you reply that it will sync across all devices. Otherwise it will treat it as two different conversations.

Also it's a good idea for people who want to message you to choose your email address and not your phone #.

It's kind of a pain that Apple doesn't automatically merge the phone # and email address and sync, but it is Beta software and I'm sure they'll add that going forward. Currently it's kind of confusing.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bryanhauer View Post

Just a little tip for people looking to make sure their conversations are syncing across Mac and iOS devices...

Make sure you have your phone setup properly in the Messages App settings and matches your email address (Apple ID) used on your Mac when you setup Messages Beta.

On your iPhone go to Settings --> Messages --> Receive At --> Caller ID and then select your email address associated with your Apple ID instead of your phone #.

This makes it so when someone messages you on your phone and you reply that it will sync across all devices. Otherwise it will treat it as two different conversations.

Also it's a good idea for people who want to message you to choose your email address and not your phone #.

It's kind of a pain that Apple doesn't automatically merge the phone # and email address and sync, but it is Beta software and I'm sure they'll add that going forward. Currently it's kind of confusing.

Thanks, I had that same confusion.
  • Reply 33 of 42
    Quote:

I'm on a new computer with a clean OS. EVen if they were logged locally, they shouldn't be here.

I turned Gtalk's logging off shortly after googletalk started. You can wipe the archived chats. Now if Google really wipes them in another story.
  • Reply 34 of 42
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

That's the beauty of this beta release...

Apple discovered this issue and rather than them doing something about it behind the scenes, they released it so the public would be outraged and congress will send letters to AOL, Google, etc. asking for an explanation.
  • Reply 35 of 42
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

That's the beauty of this beta release...

Apple discovered this issue and rather than them doing something about it behind the scenes, they released it so the public would be outraged and congress will send letters to AOL, Google, etc. asking for an explanation.

And then after it?s very clearly AOL/Google?s fault and Apple?s the one driving improvement, the media's ad-bait headlines will nevertheless say ?Congress Forced to Intervene in Yet Another Apple Privacy Disaster!?
  • Reply 36 of 42
    Go to your home folder -> Documents -> iChats. That is where the chats that are being searched live.
  • Reply 37 of 42
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    "There's also no support for being alerted to incoming iMessages unless the Messages app is actually open, something that the FaceTime app for Mac can handle. It launches itself and presents an incoming connection request. With iMessages, there's no prompt until you open the app, and even then it doesn't necessarily flag new messages as being unread, although it does time stamp them so you can see when they were delivered."
    It appears that you have to open the message app once for it to show incoming iMessages.

If you close the message app, new iMessages still show as a badge on the icon in the Dock.

(Note that Message should start automatically if you logoff with the app active, it is also possible to explicitly set "Open at Login" from within the Dock icon.)

J.
  • Reply 38 of 42
    I tried it yesterday on two of my Macs and ended up uninstalling it. From my wife's iPhone, the iMessage text would arrive to both of my iPhone and my Mac because I registered the same iCloud ID account with i(Messages) on both devices. However, from my iPhone, the iMessage text would only arrive to my wife's Mac or my wife's iPhone even though the same iCloud account was registered on both of her devices. Additionally, she would have two threads from me on her iPhone depending on whether I sent her an iMessage from my iPhone or my Mac. The last straw was that when I tried to sort this all out and removed the iCloud account registration from my iPhone's iMessage settings, the iPhone could no longer enable iMessages by registering its phone number, and I was left without the iMessage functionality altogether on my iPhone.

When I uninstalled the Messages application from both of my Macs and rebooted them, I was again able to register my iPhone's iMessage app with the phone number.

I have also seen the issue of old messages showing up on my Macs even after they were completely removed from my iPhones. Apple is definitely storing iMessages on their servers, and because of the bug in the Messages app for the Mac, this has just become very obvious. The old conversations just keep coming back.

I am going to stay away from the Messages on the Macs until Apple releases Mountain Lion next summer. Hopefully, they will work out all of their bugs. It's not worth the hassle for me right now to continue to "use" this half-baked solution. However, I am happy that half-a-year from now, we will be able to use every computing device in the household to send text messages to any device. I am also hoping that there will be a way to broadcast a message to every device that has the same iMessage account ID registered so that you can just send a text and know that it will reach the other person regardless on which device he/she is using at the time.
  • Reply 39 of 42
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    When you uninstall Messages (or, say, when the beta expires id you don?t upgrade to Mountain Lion) does the iChat app return?

I?m more likely to try Messages if the iChat safety net is easy to get back to!

TIA
  • Reply 40 of 42
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

When you uninstall Messages (or, say, when the beta expires id you don?t upgrade to Mountain Lion) does the iChat app return?

Apple betas don't expire.

You may reinstall iChat at any time.

This option opens Software Update, which downloads iChat and reinstalls it.