Game Center for Mountain Lion to offer cross-platform play between Mac, iOS

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

With the addition of Game Center to OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, Mac users will be able to play online competitively and cooperatively against gamers who have the same title for iOS.

Game Center for Mac will even replicate the user interface of the existing Game Center offerings for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch, offering a seamless experience for users. Like with iOS, Mac users will be able to compare accomplishments and challenge friends to online match-ups through Game Center.

By logging in with an Apple ID, users can add friends and keep track of their played games in Game Center. Multiplayer games can be initiated with someone added to a friends list, or even with new players randomly matched up.

Game Center in Mountain Lion also features leaderboards, so gamers can compare their high scores to friends and other top players around the world. The social software also shows what users' friends are playing, allowing them to discover new games.

With Game Center, users can send friend requests to gamers on Mac, iPad, iPhone and iPod touch, making it a true cross-platform experience. And several e-mail addresses can be tied to one Game Center account, making it easier for users to find their friends on the service.

Games that are written specifically for Game Center can take advantage of cross-platform play, meaning Mac users will be able to compete with gamers who have the same title installed on their iPad, iPhone or iPod touch.

Game Center also features built-in voice chat, so players can communicate while they play with or against each other in an online matchup, regardless of what platform they are gaming on.

Microsoft attempted a similar approach to the way Apple is expanding Game Center when the Redmond, Wash., software giant sought to bring some of the most popular features from its Xbox Live subscription service to Windows, in the form of Games for Windows Live. But Microsoft's Games for Windows Live has struggled to gain traction on the PC, as competing services like Valve's Steam remain more popular options for purchasing titles, connecting with friends and tracking achievements.

When it was first announced in 2010, Game Center was viewed as Apple attempt to replicate for iOS some of the success Microsoft has had with Xbox Live on its Xbox 360 gaming console. iOS developers can integrate with Game Center using the GameKit application programming interface. That allows titles to connect with the Game Center application, which serves as a centralized hub for friends lists, leaderboards and unlockable achievements.

Gaming has become one of the most popular uses for the iOS, with the App Store routinely dominated by gaming titles among the top 25 in both paid and free software. Since the launch of the Mac App Store in early 2011, games have also been a major component of that digital storefront.

Mac gaming has seen major growth in recent years as the platform has gained popularity. Most significantly, Valve launched Steam on the Mac in 2010, and brought its own brand of cross-platform play between Mac and PC for popular titles like Team Fortress 2.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Great stuff! I'm actually looking forward to this update the more I hear of it
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

Great stuff! I'm actually looking forward to this update the more I hear of it

I am only to see if developers actually use it or can use it as more than just a leader board. It drives me nuts that if I want to multiplayer a game I have to sign into yet another system. And even if they have game center, they still use whatever else for multiplayer. I want one system that I can sign into and be done with it. Sure they can keep their Facebook, their 'with friends', origins etc, but require the same functionality on all systems so users have a choice.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I am only to see if developers actually use it or can use it as more than just a leader board. It drives me nuts that if I want to multiplayer a game I have to sign into yet another system. And even if they have game center, they still use whatever else for multiplayer. I want one system that I can sign into and be done with it. Sure they can keep their Facebook, their 'with friends', origins etc, but require the same functionality on all systems so users have a choice.

Umm, here is what you are looking for:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider

Games that are written specifically for Game Center can take advantage of cross-platform play, meaning Mac users will be able to compete with gamers who have the same title installed on their iPad, iPhone or iPod touch.

• Reply 4 of 14
    This is truly incredible stuff. Apple, the company known for ignoring games entirely, has just leapfrogged the entire gaming industry.

When the WiiU comes out later this year, and when Super Smash Bros. Universe is released for it (probably even next year) then Apple will have ONE competitor in this realm (SSBU is being released for WiiU and 3DS; the assumption is that play will be able to take place between them).

No one else seems to offer this.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    While iOS<>Mac multiplayer is interesting, given the differences in interfaces, it probably won't be that useful in most games. What would be more useful is better PC<>Mac multiplayer since quite often AAA games ported from PC to Mac have broken multiplayer support due to various licensing or technical problems. In this vein, it would be nice if Apple made a Game Center for Windows SDK available so that Game Center becomes the standard multiplayer API for Windows and Mac games. With so many people already having Apple IDs due to iTunes, I don't think user adoption will be an issue. This will enable PC<>Mac multiplayer and allow a single ubiquitous player profile across Mac, PC, and iOS. This is something Games for Windows Live and Steam hasn't accomplished, while something like EA Origins is limited by being associated with one game developer.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

This is truly incredible stuff. Apple, the company known for ignoring games entirely, has just leapfrogged the entire gaming industry.

When the WiiU comes out later this year, and when Super Smash Bros. Universe is released for it (probably even next year) then Apple will have ONE competitor in this realm (SSBU is being released for WiiU and 3DS; the assumption is that play will be able to take place between them).

You are absolutely correct. Microsoft doesn't offer this with their Xbox/Windows group, and Sony is even more of a joke with PS3 and Vita. Even then, I don't think that Nintendo's offering will be all that great, since networked gaming on the Wii has been painful at best (no voice chat).

In all honesty, I was excited about Game Center when it came out for iOS. This advancement is just freaking awesome!!
  • Reply 7 of 14
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    First of all, I never stated the iPhone would be called iPhone 6 I stated it would be the 6th generation iPhone and that calling it iPhone 5 makes no sense if you follow their naming history.

Secondly, you provided no proof. All you did was spam me a link to a picture of an iPhone made into a DSLR camera. Hence you are spamming me that image for whatever reason.

Finally, you need to learn to write. You come across as maniac and scatterbrained. Try thinking about your response first and also use paragraphs to separate ideas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX

Spamming other members will get you banned. The mods can read these messages.

Spamming?? I will send the messages to the admin. I will make sure they know that I was replying to a post you made about my comment to you in regards to iPhone 5 name. I was waiting to hear about the new iPhone. I was simply telling you about it. But you seems to feel that I am trying to attack you or cause problems. Obviously you are not getting it. Maybe you should look at your posts you made to me last year. You told me that the next iPhone will be iPhone 6. Because you said that the iPhone 4s is actually the iPhone 5. I said that the name of the next iPhone will be iPhone 5. You disagreed and argued the point with me. Now that there is proof that the next iPhone will be called iPhone 5 and that I contacted you to prove that you were wrong you are accusing me of spamming you. SO I am gonna copy and paste this into the admin. Let them decide. Cheers.

P.S. I sent a copy of all our messages posts and so on to the editor. Take care.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member
    This man has insulted me when I explained to him that I suffer from a brain injury. Also being a veteran who has delay with severe trauma I am 100% unemployable. I try hard to type as accurate as I can and I have also told him that I have problems but he continues to insult me personally. SO I am now going to block this user. I can't handle this any more.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

First of all, I never stated the iPhone would be called iPhone 6 I stated it would be the 6th generation iPhone and that calling it iPhone 5 makes no sense if you follow their naming history.

Secondly, you provided no proof. All you did was spam me a link to a picture of an iPhone made into a DSLR camera. Hence you are spamming me that image for whatever reason.

Finally, you need to learn to write. You come across as maniac and scatterbrained. Try thinking about your response first and also use paragraphs to separate ideas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX

Spamming other members will get you banned. The mods can read these messages.

Spamming?? I will send the messages to the admin. I will make sure they know that I was replying to a post you made about my comment to you in regards to iPhone 5 name. I was waiting to hear about the new iPhone. I was simply telling you about it. But you seems to feel that I am trying to attack you or cause problems. Obviously you are not getting it. Maybe you should look at your posts you made to me last year. You told me that the next iPhone will be iPhone 6. Because you said that the iPhone 4s is actually the iPhone 5. I said that the name of the next iPhone will be iPhone 5. You disagreed and argued the point with me. Now that there is proof that the next iPhone will be called iPhone 5 and that I contacted you to prove that you were wrong you are accusing me of spamming you. SO I am gonna copy and paste this into the admin. Let them decide. Cheers.

P.S. I sent a copy of all our messages posts and so on to the editor. Take care.

• Reply 9 of 14
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

You are absolutely correct. Microsoft doesn't offer this with their Xbox/Windows group

Microsoft has experimented with cross-platform gaming. The first Xbox/Windows cross-platform multiplayer game was released five years ago. There hasn't been many since, probably because of the cost and the difference in controller input.

Of course, Valve has been offering cross-platform multiplayer gaming since Steam was released for Mac. Their venture into cross-platform gaming seems to be by far the most successful attempt so far. Most of the games that support it on Steam are lower budget indie titles - very much akin to the kind of games popular on iOS.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Or, you know, back in what we call reality this has been going on for ages. (I kid! I kid! )

Microsoft tried cross-platform multi-player gaming ages ago (btw it sucked).

They have been toying with the concept ever since. The social elements of Xbox Live (chat, achievements etc) are all cross-platform. Some of this actually goes beyond Microsoft platforms (e.g. I can browse games, achievements and chat with people on Xbox Live from my iPad)

This much seems to work really well, as do turn based titles (like Words With Friends).

There have been examples of "complimentary" games as well. For example Fable Coin Golf is like a shuffleboard cross mini-golf game on Windows Phone. It is based in the Fable universe and "coins" earned in this game are transfered to your real Fable game on the Xbox. This concept works really well too.

Apparently Microsoft are building Xbox Live into Windows 8 (we'll find out more at GDC).

They might allow cross-platform gaming on "full" titles, but based on how sucky that has been in the past I'm guessing they are going to push the idea of "complimentary" and turn-based games.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Some games are easier to play with the mouse and some easier with the touchscreen. Comparing highscores between the two, or having multiplayer with both on at once might not be a fair game.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    I am the only one that finds the "I AM SPAZBERT" a bit dodgy/thin ice and tending towards offensive?
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bazzler View Post

I am the only one that finds the "I AM SPAZBERT" a bit dodgy/thin ice and tending towards offensive?

Do you mean in the sense that occasionally the word 'spaz' is a derogatory term for someone with a physical neurological disability?

I don't find it offensive. It's much more in the 'quirky username' category than 'assault on the disabled'.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    Yes i am really waiting for the Mountain Lion with Game center support. I hope they will release the same as early as possible.