Mountain Lion signals end of OS X support for older Macs

Comments

• Reply 61 of 121
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Does kernel_task say 64 bit in Activity Monitor. There is a difference between kernel and applications. It has to do with the boot rom. I think the Mac Pro 1,1 boots 32 bit but runs 64 bit applications.

Looks like you are completely correct. Just checked my 1,1, and while most processes are running 64 bit, kernel_task is not. I tried to force a 64-bit boot, but it made no difference. I guess the EFI is the determining factor.
  • Reply 62 of 121
    Nuts. I was just bragging about my over 5 year old MacBook Pro, MacBookPro2,1 (late 2006), and how it can handle everything I want (and it still looks great). It is my main computer, and I use it for my business. I use Snow Leopard and am constantly using Safari, Apple Mail, Microsoft Office for Mac 2011, and Acrobat 9 Pro, and on a less frequent basis, other applications as well. I can see it now: at least a month's income investing in a new MBP and all the software to go with it.
  • Reply 63 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Might I proffer a suggestion?

Get over it.

Get over what? Are you being rude for a reason?
  • Reply 64 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

Get over what?

The matte/glossy nonsense, that is. Pretending that you have to start looking for a new computing platform because they don't offer your preferred display covering in their computers is ludicrous.
  • Reply 65 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Same old story with Apple. If its over 3 years old they don't care, its time you spent some money with them again.

i think its a good idea, i think in the long run the people who are mad about not getting the upgrade will be less than if if people start seeing macs running slow and laggy like a windows computer. macs have a standard to uphold, macs should always be fast and flawless in there customers eyes
  • Reply 66 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

I'm not sure why you expect a 6 year old -obsolete- computer to be able to run a brand new OS. My old Pismo is stuck on 10.4.8 - should I complain about that?

I don't think you got my point.

What I was saying is that I am ready to upgrade, but Apple does not offer an antiglare screen on an iMac since they discontinued the 2006 white iMacs. That feature is very important to me.

On the other hand, they have continued to offer the antiglare screen option on the MacBook Pros. So, why not the iMacs.
  • Reply 67 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The matte/glossy nonsense, that is. Pretending that you have to start looking for a new computing platform because they don't offer your preferred display covering in their computers is ludicrous.

Maybe nonsense to you. It is not to a lot of people.

As a so-called "Global Moderator," you need to learn a politeness. This forum is for the purpose of expressing opinions. Attacking people's opinions as nonsense is not what a "Global Moderator" should be doing.
  • Reply 68 of 121
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

As a so-called "Global Moderator," you need to learn a politeness. This forum is for the purpose of expressing opinions. Attacking people's opinions as nonsense is not what a "Global Moderator" should be doing.

He's not here to stroke your ego or make you feel handsome or intelligent. He's a forum member just like you who was offered the option to support this community by volunteering some of his time to cleaning up spam as it occurs.
  • Reply 69 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

Same old story with Apple. If its over 3 years old they don't care, its time you spent some money with them again.

and this surprises you?

wow...wake up.
  • Reply 70 of 121
    What comes after Mountain Lion.... Dandelion?
  • Reply 71 of 121
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Um, what? Most Windows machines in business ARE upgraded. Perhaps not all consumer machines, but business machines, definitely.

I'd have to say just the opposite, many computers in business never get updated some running well after MS stops supporting the machine. Some businesses prefer to replace the hardware at the sametime and then dispose of the old machine.
  • Reply 72 of 121
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

What I was saying is that I am ready to upgrade, but Apple does not offer an antiglare screen on an iMac since they discontinued the 2006 white iMacs. That feature is very important to me.

Whilst I doubt that they'll add an option for matte screens on the iMacs again, you never know. Your options seem to be either 3rd party solutions (films etc) or use a second monitor as your main screen on a new iMac, or go for a Mac Mini with a matte display. Save some money by getting a refurb and put it towards your anti-glare needs, perhaps?
  • Reply 73 of 121
    That is one reason why I went out and bought an early 2008 MBP. Without that GPU the machine would be far less usable than it is today! A dGPU assures you of a longer useful life for your Mac. Frankly this isn't any different than on Windows

Quote:
    Originally Posted by madhatter61 View Post

All we have to do is look at the vintage of the Intel graphics integrated chip series. The 950 and 3100 series are not good enough anymore. Intel was never really great in graphic anyway. It is truly no surprise the new Mountain Lion OS is not supporting ancient hardware.

No surprise at all.
  • Reply 74 of 121
    Quote:

Whilst I doubt that they'll add an option for matte screens on the iMacs again, you never know. Your options seem to be either 3rd party solutions (films etc) or use a second monitor as your main screen on a new iMac, or go for a Mac Mini with a matte display. Save some money by getting a refurb and put it towards your anti-glare needs, perhaps?

I am leaning towards a Mac Mini with a matte display. May even get a used 30" Apple Cinema display.
  • Reply 75 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Fragmentation!

Yeah right. Show me how many currently shipping Mac programs still support PowerPC Macs running OS X 10.4 Tiger because of the PPC holdouts. Although I'm not sure what would justify dropping Intel's older integrated graphics chips, besides the fact that they sucked.
  • Reply 76 of 121
    Quote:

I have hung on to 2 beautiful 24" white 2006 iMacs because they have antiglare screens. They run Lion. They will not run Mountain Lion.

If Apple decides to offer antiglare screens on their current iMacs (like they do on MacBook Pros), I will be happy to upgrade. Otherwise, I will need to decide what to do this summer.

Keep running Lion. Be happy. It's a great OS. Or so I've heard. I'm using Snow Leopard.
  • Reply 77 of 121
    Because frankly you don't know what you are talking about.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

I'm always extremely disappointed when I read stuff like this.

Apple is dropping support for these machines because they choose to, just like they could choose to support them. There's no amazing new fantastic thing in the minor OS point upgrade that absolutely needs a new graphics card or new processor.

Considering the info available you have no way of knowing this. However if you follow releases of info to developers you would have realized long ago that Apple would be making greater use of the installed GPU in each new OS/X release. It isn't like Apple hides this stuff.

They are certainly making a choice, but that choice is to support hardware which will produce the best results for the OS.

Quote:

Apple's business model is to force users to upgrade every 2-3 years. That is it in a nutshell.

This is total BS, no one has to upgrade their OS, nor their computer. My personal one is now 4 years old, it still runs even if it is slightly damaged.

Quote:

I know a lot of you refuse to question Apple's actions because you own Apple stock or whatever.

That is a foolish statement to make.
  • Reply 78 of 121
    You are beating a dead horse here. No one wants to buy a Mac with an obviously inferior screen.

Quote:

I have hung on to 2 beautiful 24" white 2006 iMacs because they have antiglare screens. They run Lion. They will not run Mountain Lion.

If Apple decides to offer antiglare screens on their current iMacs (like they do on MacBook Pros), I will be happy to upgrade. Otherwise, I will need to decide what to do this summer.

• Reply 79 of 121
    Quote:

Got it 2nd hand, someone had dropped a G4 in it! It hit a sweet spot on 4.8 (or was it 4.9, I forget), so I didn't bother any with any more updates. I should boot it up again, it's been a while, the PRAM battery will go flat...

Lol, thats awsome! I've got an old iBook G3 Clamshell (The Lime 466 MHz one). I've maxed it with 570 MB of RAM, and changed the HDD to a CF card, with an IDE adaptor. Since it's got no fan, and now no platter drive, it runs totally silently. I've got 10.4.11 on it. It's a good juke box, and since it's styling is different, it's a real looker!

For people who say that that their computer not running the latest OS makes it unusable, My BEST Mac is a PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8, it's running Leopard. It works fine, there are some features I want, but it's a statement that a 9 year old computer is still running, and still 70% relivent.
  • Reply 80 of 121
    It's all about 'compute' ability of the GPU - pretty much everything from the 9400m onwards has GPGPU - or GPU compute ability. The nearest thing in your Mac to an A4 or A5 is the GPU - in fact at the lowest level, the stream processors (or CUDA cores in nVidia speak) are in many ways closer to the ARM spec than the Intel CPUs. OpenCL, and definitely any iOS style graphics or share APIs would benefit from this; in fact require it.

Intel chips before the HD3000 simply didn't have the concept of GPGPU compute ability.