Alleged iOS 5.1 'pre-GM' leak shows permanent lock-screen camera button

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

An alleged leak of Apple's upcoming iOS 5.1 update appears to show the addition of a permanent camera button on the lock screen and Japanese support for Siri.

Brazilian iPhone blog blogdoiPhone () claimed on Thursday to have a obtained a "pre-GM" version of iOS 5.1 with a few minor changes from current beta versions. The GM version is the final candidate that is used in a software release.

The publication reported that the leaked software featured a fixed camera icon on the lock screen, whereas the current version of iOS 5 adds the camera button when users double tap on the home button. According to the report, sliding a finger up on the icon pulls up the camera screen.

The publication also appeared to show the addition of Japanese to the language options for Siri, the new voice-activated assistant on the iPhone 4S. Siri itself already claims to speak Japanese, as was discovered earlier this week.

Apple has promised to add Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Italian and Spanish to Siri this year. One recent rumor claimed Chinese, Japanese and Russian support could arrive as early as next month.

It has been suggested that Apple will release iOS 5.1 at its third-generation iPad launch event, expected to take place on March 7. A flurry of reports have suggested that Apple's next tablet will feature a double-resolution display, an upgraded processor and 4G LTE capability.

Apple began seeding beta releases of iOS 5.1 to developers last November. A second beta arrived in December, followed by a third beta last month. The release is expected to include deeper Facebook integration and the ability to remove individual photos from Photo Stream.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    That's a much better solution.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I agree.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Ditto.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Ditto.

android already has it.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Way better, but the icon could be improved.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

android already has it.

Show me where Android has a slide to unlock from left to right and slide to use the camera from bottom to top.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Quote:

android already has it.

Yep, and iOS already had multitouch, a real web browser, and a third party app store, but that didn't stop Android from copying those features that are much more integral to the function of a device.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

Yep, and iOS already had multitouch, a real web browser, and a third party app store, but that didn't stop Android from copying those features that are much more integral to the function of a device.

What's ironic is that Google's focus is on search based ads yet Android's browser has been crap from day one. It still is. You finally get an option to download Chrome for Android but it's not part of Android for some reason and it's still in Beta. It's amazing that Google would have put so little focus on the Android browser and Apple put so much focus on it. It was Safari that most users notice is a treat to use on the iPhone.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Quote:

Show me where Android has a slide to unlock from left to right and slide to use the camera from bottom to top.

apple didn't want to get sued did they?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7jlCWJ3SpM
  • Reply 10 of 39
    Quote:

apple didn't want to get sued did they?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7jlCWJ3SpM

Apple solution is as unique as the new solution for unlocking the phone that is not infringing on Apple's slide-to-unlock patent.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Quote:

ios had a real web browser? ha ha ha. only with the latest version did it have a browser that didn't suck the big one.

3rd party app store? "Ian Murdock has commented that package management is "the single biggest advancement Linux has brought to the industry""
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:

What's ironic is that Google's focus is on search based ads yet Android's browser has been crap from day one. It still is. You finally get an option to download Chrome for Android but it's not part of Android for some reason and it's still in Beta. It's amazing that Google would have put so little focus on the Android browser and Apple put so much focus on it. It was Safari that most users notice is a treat to use on the iPhone.

please. browser up to ios 5 was junk and a huge pain in the ass to use.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Quote:

please. browser up to ios 5 was junk and a huge pain in the ass to use.

So awful that Android still hasn't caught up with the smooth scrolling, zooming and pinching that Apple introduced with 1.0 on the 412MHz ARM11 iPhone with 128MB RAM¡
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Quote:

ios had a real web browser? ha ha ha. only with the latest version did it have a browser that didn't suck the big one.

3rd party app store? "Ian Murdock has commented that package management is "the single biggest advancement Linux has brought to the industry""

Really? Look back into 2007, when Steve introduced the iPhone, and tell me that anything else on the market was even within shouting distance of that browser, and yes, it's gotten better over time, but to say it was ever junk is just plain trolling. And where did Linux ever come into this conversation (And you realize Linux is a kernal, not an OS, right)? Because Android is based off of the same kernel? What does that have to do with the App Store and Android Market?

edit: And let's not also forget that Mac OS X, and by extension iOS, is UNIX-based, just like Linux, so that is a very weak argument to bring to the table, troll.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Can someone please tell me why everyone keeps saying "double resolution display". It's quadruple resolution. If you double both the horizontal AND the verticals pixels, you increase the pixels 4x.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Quote:

Really? Look back into 2007, when Steve introduced the iPhone, and tell me that anything else on the market was even within shouting distance of that browser, and yes, it's gotten better over time, but to say it was ever junk is just plain trolling.

Thanks for setting the record straight. iOS revolutionized mobile browsing by orders of magnitude over EVERYTHING else.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GBOGH View Post

Can someone please tell me why everyone keeps saying "double resolution display". It's quadruple resolution. If you double both the horizontal AND the verticals pixels, you increase the pixels 4x.

Think about it. Display resolution is the measure along two axes on a Cartesian coordinate system. That means if you double in each plane you are doubling the resolution. However, that is 4x the number of pixels.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Finally...
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Quote:

Really? Look back into 2007, when Steve introduced the iPhone, and tell me that anything else on the market was even within shouting distance of that browser, and yes, it's gotten better over time, but to say it was ever junk is just plain trolling. And where did Linux ever come into this conversation (And you realize Linux is a kernal, not an OS, right)? Because Android is based off of the same kernel? What does that have to do with the App Store and Android Market?

edit: And let's not also forget that Mac OS X, and by extension iOS, is UNIX-based, just like Linux, so that is a very weak argument to bring to the table, troll.

the linux kernEl is of course the kernel, but, generally most people refer to GNU/Linux as "Linux" and distro's as 'Linux distros'. what is important here is the package management and the repositories which is the model the app store took its cue from.

okay, if you want to bring up the browsers that were available when iphone came out then yes it was the best of a very bad lot. it sucked less than the others. it wasn't good and using it was a pain.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Quote:

So awful that Android still hasn't caught up with the smooth scrolling, zooming and pinching that Apple introduced with 1.0 on the 412MHz ARM11 iPhone with 128MB RAM¡

no argument there. i am not saying apple can't do some things very well. they got that part down.

there are things on any OS that one can hate and love. windows has some features that i prefer to os x and os x has features that i think are better than windows. same with ios and android and windows phone (i like metros information tiles).

my perfect tabphone? IOS with at least 4.7" screen 16:9 HD with chrome browser and metro like tiles