Apple wins German injunction against Motorola over 'slide-to-unlock'

135

Comments

  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post


    Ruling in favor of this patent should be a no-brainer. Did anyone have "slide to unlock" on a phone or tablet before Apple? No. Did this feature show up in all kinds of phones after Apple introduced it? Yes. Case closed.



    There is one very rudimentary digital example of slide that didn't quite unlock but left to right initiated a YES and right to left a NO. But it's not on a capacitance display and has UI showing this action. There is also no evidence that the company patented the method or evidence that there implementation could somehow encompass what Apple patented across their very focused usage and hardware method.



    Here is a video:
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 40,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post


    Ruling in favor of this patent should be a no-brainer. Did anyone have "slide to unlock" on a phone or tablet before Apple? No. Did this feature show up in all kinds of phones after Apple introduced it? Yes. Case closed.



    Common sense doesn't have any legal precedent or weight, sadly.
  • mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 6,875member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neo42 View Post


    Because it's synonymous with turning a door knob? Do you think that "turning a knob to open a door" should be patented?



    You just showed a complete lack of understanding the intent behind the patent system.



    Next you'll cite a master lock key locking mechanism negates Ford, Chrysler, BMW, Ferrari, etc., from patenting an implementation of a turn lock system.
  • cory bauercory bauer Posts: 1,286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    There is one very rudimentary digital example of slide that didn't quite unlock but left to right initiated a YES and right to left a NO. But it's not on a capacitance display and has UI showing this action. There is also no evidence that the company patented the method or evidence that there implementation could somehow encompass what Apple patented across their very focused usage and hardware method.



    Here is a video:



    Like everyone else, I'm sure Apple never heard of the neonode n1m, which is why no name-brand phone implemented "swipe to unlock" until Apple did
  • tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 40,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    Here is a video:



    Huh, well that's certainly something that few people have heard o-OH OF COURSE "ANDROIDCENTRAL" REPORTS ON THIS WHY WAS I EVER CONFUSED AS TO THE SOURCE OF THIS INFORMATION.



    And they say Android followers aren't out to get anyone.
  • solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cory Bauer View Post


    Like everyone else, I'm sure Apple never heard of the neonode n1m, which is why no name-brand phone implemented "swipe to unlock" until Apple did



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Huh, well that's certainly something that few people have heard o-OH OF COURSE "ANDROIDCENTRAL" REPORTS ON THIS WHY WAS I EVER CONFUSED AS TO THE SOURCE OF THIS INFORMATION.



    And they say Android followers aren't out to get anyone.



    If the way Android slide to unlock is now not in violation of Apple's patent there is simply no way that Apple is violating anything Neonode did. But we're never going to hear the end of it. I think in 20 years some asshat will still bring it up as proof that Apple stole the idea.
  • stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Does it really matter who did or didn't steal the slide to unlock idea? It's hardly a Nobel Prize idea. And as much as I admire Apple and their products, here is the truth: whether people here want to admit it or not, or choose to blast me for saying it, it is not beneath Apple to steal ideas.



    What is far more interesting is the ping pong match going on here. This is somewhat of a simplification: Samsung & Moto are using telecom patents to try and beat Apple, whereas Apple is attacking with computer UX technology. It is a clash of the old world against the new.
  • icelusicelus Posts: 49member
    These arguments are always total BS. It isn't as though Apple is all that good at keeping a secret, dispite popular myth. Anyone who was slightly tuned in knew even five years in advance that Apple was developing a tablet. That is what that guy from macosrumors.com was always rambling about, trying not to be specific. For two years before the iPhone everyone knew Apple was working on a phone.



    Then the story was that everyone was holding off on producing a tablet until they had a look at what Apple was coming out with.



    The solution is simple, it everything Apple does is so obvious, just do it before Apple and beat them to the punch.
  • sennensennen Posts: 1,415member
    MacOSRumours, blast from the past. Were Solip and HMurch on the forum there, I seem to recall they might have been?
  • hill60hill60 Posts: 6,960member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post


    what's bad about Ubuntu? i use it at home and at work as my main machine and run windows as a VM.

    its true, linux distros are for people who know what they are doing, aren't afraid to find out how things actually work, and utilize the power inherent in the OS. anyone who says it isn't extremely capable and useful for many, many things is just a moron.

    i am using it now to post this, is that somehow less a 'value' for my time than you posting on this forum with OS X or ipad or whatever you are using? of course not.



    iTunes doesn't work.



    Office doesn't work.



    Printing was crap before Apple fixed it (CUPS)



    KDE is better than Gnome.
  • galbigalbi Posts: 968member
    Google already has a patent for this.



    Also prior art (or utility in this case) has been established by Neonode N1.



    http://www.directoryinventor.com/inv..._LeBeau_1.html
  • mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 6,875member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post


    iTunes doesn't work.



    Office doesn't work.



    Printing was crap before Apple fixed it (CUPS)



    KDE is better than Gnome.



    More importantly, Apple's FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD/Darwin underpinnings offers all that Linux does as an actual UNIX OS, but Ubuntu offers nothing for the User Experience and App level experience that OS X offers.



    I'm typing on Debian Linux Sid [12 years and running along-side OS X on two other systems].



    KDE 4.7.x is still half baked and so is GNOME 3.x



    If Apple ever wanted to produce OS X Server to run Big Iron they could tomorrow. We had test harness solutions for massive solutions but never saw it as a business case for Apple.
  • stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Icelus View Post


    These arguments are always total BS. It isn't as though Apple is all that good at keeping a secret, dispite popular myth. Anyone who was slightly tuned in knew even five years in advance that Apple was developing a tablet. That is what that guy from macosrumors.com was always rambling about, trying not to be specific. For two years before the iPhone everyone knew Apple was working on a phone.



    Then the story was that everyone was holding off on producing a tablet until they had a look at what Apple was coming out with.



    The solution is simple, it everything Apple does is so obvious, just do it before Apple and beat them to the punch.



    Shhhh ... don't give away the secret. Just do it and make yourself the next Steve Jobs. Sounds so simple, the way you put it...
  • icelusicelus Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post


    Shhhh ... don't give away the secret. Just do it and make yourself the next Steve Jobs. Sounds so simple, the way you put it...



    The problem is, these android love children just recently discovered that the only place where cool stuff is happening in the tech world is at Apple, so suddenly they are all reading AI.



    "Let's go to Appleinsider and find out what cool things will soon be coming to Android."



    It wouldn't be so sad if the guys at Google didn't so obviously wet their pants at every Apple release. .... recent rumor: the guys at Google working night and day trying 'invent' a responds to Siri. "Lets pretend we got it from Star Trek"



    Duh....Apple has been buying voice and personal assistant companies for years, the Siri guys were even giving demos, you would think someone would know what Apple was up to.



    Another little hint.... 3D mapping.....say no more
  • drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by studiomusic View Post


    Double tapping? 4 finger taps? One finger in the upper left corner, one in the lower right corner? Holding a finger (or fingers) on the screen for 3 seconds? Shaking the phone a certain way? Turning it upside-down then right-side up? Swiping anywhere (no image)?

    There's 7 different ways I took all of 2 minutes to write, and I'm not a highly paid software designer.

    Not that any of these are as easy and intuitive as swiping an image to unlock...



    Shaking or turning the phone are obviously not a way to prevent accidental unlocking, so they don't fulfill the desired function and cannot be considered. All of the rest are some form of interaction with the screen, and those that don't rely on both spatial and temporal coordination of the input are very error prone and so useless (double tapping, seriously?). Swiping without an image is interesting, I wonder what your thought is the screen should be doing while we're unlocking it: be completely black, or white? Both of these are images nevertheless, however uninformative. So, what other way is there to unlock a screen without interacting with it as specified in Apple's patent?
  • cutykamucutykamu Posts: 212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


    If the way Android slide to unlock is now not in violation of Apple's patent there is simply no way that Apple is violating anything Neonode did. But we're never going to hear the end of it. I think in 20 years some asshat will still bring it up as proof that Apple stole the idea.



    below is the post where i can say your 'dream come true'



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post


    Google already has a patent for this.



    Also prior art (or utility in this case) has been established by Neonode N1.



    http://www.directoryinventor.com/inv..._LeBeau_1.html



  • prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post


    Google already has a patent for this.



    Also prior art (or utility in this case) has been established by Neonode N1.



    (spam link removed)



    For the record, this is just you saying that prior art exists.



    You make it sound like some court somewhere has established that the Neonode N1 is definitely "prior art" when in fact it's not the case at all.



    A bunch of folks with no law degrees and not much idea about patent law have pointed to the Neonode N1 as prior art for the swipe patent, but that doesn't make it a fact. It's not being used by any of the defendants or actual lawyers involved in the case which should tell you something (that is if watching the video doesn't reveal that it isn't really similar "art" to the patent in question).



    The "gesture" in the video (if one can rightly call it that), is neither the same thing as the patent describes nor even anything new. A similar gesture was used in Palm devices and they copied it from the Newton. So Apple did it first no matter how you look at it.
  • hungoverhungover Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    For the record, this is just you saying that prior art exists.



    You make it sound like some court somewhere has established that the Neonode N1 is definitely "prior art" when in fact it's not the case at all.



    A bunch of folks with no law degrees and not much idea about patent law have pointed to the Neonode N1 as prior art for the swipe patent, but that doesn't make it a fact. It's not being used by any of the defendants or actual lawyers involved in the case which should tell you something (that is if watching the video doesn't reveal that it isn't really similar "art" to the patent in question).



    The "gesture" in the video (if one can rightly call it that), is neither the same thing as the patent describes nor even anything new. A similar gesture was used in Palm devices and they copied it from the Newton. So Apple did it first no matter how you look at it.



    As someone bereft of a law degree I don't understand your point.



    From the link provided-



    "It did work as expected in the Netherlands though, and Samsung has already brought the lowly Neonode N1m in front of the court there -- and had Apple's claims over slide to unlock determined to be "trivial and likely invalid", and the court refused to consider them."



    The above seems to suggest that a bunch of folk with law degrees in Holland determined that it was prior art.
  • hungoverhungover Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


    Huh, well that's certainly something that few people have heard o-OH OF COURSE "ANDROIDCENTRAL" REPORTS ON THIS WHY WAS I EVER CONFUSED AS TO THE SOURCE OF THIS INFORMATION.



    And they say Android followers aren't out to get anyone.



    If you'd prefer to believe a non-android site..



    http://9to5mac.com/2011/10/25/slide-to-unlock-patented/
  • hungoverhungover Posts: 565member
    I guess that we should be grateful that the process of patenting virtually everything is relatively new. Otherwise phones would be awfully expensive. Want to use a pin number on your phone- give us $5. Want to click on a hyperlink- that'll be £5 to BT, want to surf html sites on your phone- pay Annygraaf, and so on.
Sign In or Register to comment.