Alleged iOS 5.1 'pre-GM' leak shows permanent lock-screen camera button

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Apple solution is as unique as the new solution for unlocking the phone that is not infringing on Apple's slide-to-unlock patent.

Google is wising up this time.

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patentl...d-devices.html
  • Reply 22 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by screamingfist View Post

the linux kernEl is of course the kernel, but, generally most people refer to GNU/Linux as "Linux" and distro's as 'Linux distros'. what is important here is the package management and the repositories which is the model the app store took its cue from.

okay, if you want to bring up the browsers that were available when iphone came out then yes it was the best of a very bad lot. it sucked less than the others. it wasn't good and using it was a pain.

So you are comparing a desktop operating system to a mobile phone? I think you proved my point. Apple made the phone as close to a computer as was possible at the time, from the web browser, to the app store, and everything in between. Android was quite happy ripping off Blackberry at the time until the iPhone was announced, and it still took them almost 2 and a half years to come out with a true alternative in the Motorola Droid, which was still far inferior to the 3GS at the time.
  • Reply 23 of 39
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

ios had a real web browser? ha ha ha. only with the latest version did it have a browser that didn't suck the big one.

3rd party app store? "Ian Murdock has commented that package management is "the single biggest advancement Linux has brought to the industry""

1. iPhone's original browser was a revolution in mobile phones. It was a paradigm shift from anything else out there, so I'm not sure what the hell you're referring to. It might suck with todays standards, but I didnt read a single impressive that it 'sucked' when it was released. Get some perspective.

2. Yeah, I'm sure all 17 users of the linux package management love it. How many companies depend on the linux appstore , or whatever the hell its called, for their continued existence? This isn't simply about package management. It's about bringing a new paradigm to the industry in such a way as to attain massive adoption, success, and monetization for everyone involved. This stems back to the assinine 'there were smrtphones before iPhone, tablets before iPads, etc bullshit. Sure there was, but if nobody bought them it doesn't matter. It's in the execution, and Apple's appstore is what propagated a massive sea of change to the industry and which has since been replicated, not the linux appstore. As a developer, is it worth my while to release anything into the linux appstore? I think the answer is obvious.
  • Reply 24 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

So you are comparing a desktop operating system to a mobile phone? I think you proved my point. Apple made the phone as close to a computer as was possible at the time, from the web browser, to the app store, and everything in between. Android was quite happy ripping off Blackberry at the time until the iPhone was announced, and it still took them almost 2 and a half years to come out with a true alternative in the Motorola Droid, which was still far inferior to the 3GS at the time.

I wonder what the pre-iPhone Android browser was like on those BB-esque prototypes. I assume they were the bestest WAP browsers... ever!
  • Reply 25 of 39
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Great. Can't stand the double click to bring up the camera. This should be much quicker.
  • Reply 26 of 39
    Quote:

the linux kernEl is of course the kernel, but, generally most people refer to GNU/Linux as "Linux" and distro's as 'Linux distros'. what is important here is the package management and the repositories which is the model the app store took its cue from.

okay, if you want to bring up the browsers that were available when iphone came out then yes it was the best of a very bad lot. it sucked less than the others. it wasn't good and using it was a pain.

seems like you just want to win the argument here even though hittrj01 and solipsismX already tried to show you the why iOS browser is better than android's (scrolling, pinch to zoom which is smooth from the beginning)
  • Reply 27 of 39
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Think about it. Display resolution is the measure along two axes on a Cartesian coordinate system. That means if you double in each plane you are doubling the resolution. However, that is 4x the number of pixels.

Correct. Unlike acres or meters squared, resolution is measured in pixels per square whatever so it is a measurement of density not area.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    So you're at the pub. You go to the bathroom. One of your mates picks up your phone off the table and takes photos of the dancing girls, which are instantaneously synced (via Photo Stream) to your Mac at home where your wife is sitting.

You're in the sin bin for a week just because your iPhone can takes photos without logging in.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

So you're at the pub. You go to the bathroom. One of your mates picks up your phone off the table and takes photos of the dancing girls, which are instantaneously synced (via Photo Stream) to your Mac at home where your wife is sitting.

You're in the sin bin for a week just because your iPhone can takes photos without logging in.

That actually sounds like fun Roll on tonight, its the next step up from sending sms/mms from my mates phones
  • Reply 30 of 39
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Man, this has been available as a JB tweak since the camera came out. It's quite amusing seeing how many changes Apple has made because of the JB community.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Who leaves their phone on the table at a bar?
  • Reply 32 of 39
    I like this. I'm all about replacing pressing a button with gestures. It feels better.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    Quote:

IOS with at least 4.7" screen 16:9 HD with chrome browser and metro like tiles

Why 16:9? I find 16:9 to only be superior when watching, wait for it, 16:9 video. For everything else, a more iPad/iPhone-like aspect ratio seems far superior. To each their owe, I suppose.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

Who leaves their phone on the table at a bar?

wait for it, an Apple employee…
  • Reply 35 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

1. iPhone's original browser was a revolution in mobile phones. It was a paradigm shift from anything else out there, so I'm not sure what the hell you're referring to. It might suck with todays standards, but I didnt read a single impressive that it 'sucked' when it was released. Get some perspective.

2. Yeah, I'm sure all 17 users of the linux package management love it. How many companies depend on the linux appstore , or whatever the hell its called, for their continued existence? This isn't simply about package management. It's about bringing a new paradigm to the industry in such a way as to attain massive adoption, success, and monetization for everyone involved. This stems back to the assinine 'there were smrtphones before iPhone, tablets before iPads, etc bullshit. Sure there was, but if nobody bought them it doesn't matter. It's in the execution, and Apple's appstore is what propagated a massive sea of change to the industry and which has since been replicated, not the linux appstore. As a developer, is it worth my while to release anything into the linux appstore? I think the answer is obvious.

So you think Apple hosts its websites on servers running their proprietory OS ?You must also think that when you press enter your comments appear in this site by itself.There is no CGI involved ,no Apache or Tomcat running in the background only Apple all the way right?

Btw,loved your rant about linux appstore.Made my day I must say.Though sadly such a thing does not exist.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Quote:

Yep, and iOS already had multitouch, a real web browser, and a third party app store, but that didn't stop Android from copying those features that are much more integral to the function of a device.

A real web browser? Cool. I love Firefox.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by libdem View Post

I really love how you latte sipping Starbucks hipsters comment about everything without

Quote:
    Originally Posted by libdem View Post

Ignorence,much?

• Reply 38 of 39
    Quote:

Yep, and iOS already had multitouch, a real web browser, and a third party app store, but that didn't stop Android from copying those features that are much more integral to the function of a device.

With all due respect, I don't think that was the point of his assertion. Perhaps he was poking fun at the fact that Apple has sued Android vendors for "stealing" their lock screen feature when Apple has apparently (I don't think so) done the same.

I'm in the camp that this isn't stealing from Android, and that Android didn't steal "slide to unlock" in the sense that they shouldn't be able to use it. But that's just me.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    I don't understand why all software doesn't create the 'obvious' from the start. In this case, why would anyone double tap the home button to quickly take a picture while we could have this new option from the get-go? My mind is full of these 'obvious settings/configs' and I always submit them through their feedback page. You guys also think of a better way to go about something, and give your feedback?