New York Times gets Gizmodo treatment from Apple after negative reports

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014

The New York Times appears to have lost its invitation to the Apple party in a vein similar to Gawker Media's Gizmodo blog, after printing a series of scathing reports that described the company as indifferent to terrible worker conditions in China.

A report by Erik Wemple of the Washington Post highlighted an exclusive interview Apple's chief executive Tim Cook granted the Wall Street Journal, noting that the piece wasn't just a juicy scoop for the Journal, but also "pain for the shunned," particularly the New York Times, which Wemple called "the most aggressive pursuer of Apple-related news on the planet."

Not only was the Times passed over for an interview with Cook, but it also appeared to be studiously ignored by Apple in the prerelease presentation and week long preview of OS X Mountain Lion that the company offered to everyone from Macworld to independent bloggers including John Gruber of DaringFireball and Jim Dalrymple of the Loop.

The Times was left to report on the Mountain Lion release initially citing other publications and Apple's press releases, and its full report on the release "hit the web late," which the report noted as something that "would qualify as an embarrassment for the New York Times."

In a letter to Apple employees, Cook indirectly described the allegations published by the Times in saying "some people are questioning Apple’s values today," and adding that "any suggestion that we don’t care is patently false and offensive to us."

In a series of reports involving Apple and workers' conditions among its overseas suppliers, the Times cited "former Apple executives" as making comments such as, "We’ve known about labor abuses in some factories for four years, and they’re still going on. Why? Because the system works for us."

The Times also cited Apple's own Supplier Responsibility reports to allege, "under-age workers have helped build Apple’s products, and the company’s suppliers have improperly disposed of hazardous waste and falsified records."

Uninvited

Apple previously snubbed Gizmodo by withholding invitations to its media events after the blog obtained a stolen iPhone 4 prototype and refused to return it before detailing the device, demanding better access to Apple's future products and, according to Apple, damaging the device while trying to take it apart.

The investigating district attorney in the case later said, "It was obvious they were angry with the company about not being invited to some press conference or some big Apple event. We expected to see a certain amount of professionalism-this is like 15-year-old children talking."

Gizmodo subsequently acted as the ringleader behind 2010's "Antennagate" accusations that the iPhone 4's antenna was improperly designed, then acted as a sounding board for the 2011 sequel dramatically headlined "iSpy Conspiracy: Your iPhone Is Secretly Tracking Everywhere You’ve Been, All The Time," an media event that required Apple to host a press briefing and answer questions posed by concerned Congressmen.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 184
    Nice going Apple! I am sure New York Times will write another negative editorial about their mis-treatment!
  • Reply 2 of 184
    It's such a pity Apple behaves so poorly, their childish corporate behaviour really detracts from what should be more news about their awesome products.
  • Reply 3 of 184
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Times also cited Apple's own Supplier Responsibility reports to allege, "under-age workers have helped build Apple’s products, and the company’s suppliers have improperly disposed of hazardous waste and falsified records."

That's ironic since the quality of NYT articles suggests they're mostly written by children.
  • Reply 4 of 184
    Quote:

The New York Times appears to have lost its invitation to the Apple party in a vein similar to Gawker Media's Gizmodo blog, after printing a series of scathing reports that described the company as indifferent to terrible worker conditions in China. ...

Seems fair to me.

Yellow journalism is yellow journalism whether it's practiced by a bunch of high school kids or the old farts on the New York Times. They knew they were publishing half-truths and untruths. Que sera sera as Doris Day would say.

If Apple continued to treat them like other news sources it would send the wrong message. If only other companies, government agencies and so on would do the same then we wouldn't be subjected to so much crap and lies disguised as entertainment and "news."
  • Reply 5 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anthropic View Post

It's such a pity Apple behaves so poorly, their childish corporate behaviour really detracts from what should be more news about their awesome products.

sez the young troll.
  • Reply 6 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anthropic View Post

It is the New York Times which is acting childishly and very very badly.

Apple is doing the adult thing to do: completely ignoring a badly behaving child.
  • Reply 7 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Apple is doing the adult thing to do: completely ignoring a badly behaving child.

Could not have said it better myself. Great post!
  • Reply 8 of 184
    Quote:

A report by Erik Wemple of the Washington Post

Linkfail. clicking on the "report" link goes nowhere. I think you mean this link.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...m_opinions_pop
  • Reply 9 of 184
    That's very bad communication tactics.

The public (except some apple addicts like here..) will not think that they punished the NYT for telling lies, but for telling the truth Apple wanted to hide.

The "Evil Apple" image is growing every day, and such practice won't help with that.
  • Reply 10 of 184
    Calling ALL JOURNALIST, BLOGGERS, the media as a whole to take action and condemn such acts by Apple in trying to control the freedom of speaking and/or writing whether for or against the company. This is not about the stated article any more, this is already a form of manipulation whether directly or indirectly to withhold information which are against Apple and which the public must know.

Apple, being the attraction and currently being in the limelight, must realize that in your current position as a "Leader" in consumer electronics garners attention and being thrust into public scrutiny is inevitable. You are not perfect and the public will surely criticize. What you should do is improve, take action, prove whats true and whats not true and not to resort to your "childish" acts towards NYTimes.
  • Reply 11 of 184
    The absurd part of the NYT reporting is the attempt to gain hits by implying that Apple is the sole culprit. The entire electronics industry is responsible for the enabling the Chinese government in not enforcing good work conditions. Of all the companies at least Apple is trying. This just reeks of Antennagate where dozens of phone manufacturers had the exact same problem as Apple but the media vultures piled on Apple to gain hits. Yellow journalism is alive and well...
  • Reply 12 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anoneemoose View Post

The absurd part of the NYT reporting is the attempt to gain hits by implying that Apple is the sole culprit. The entire electronics industry is responsible for the enabling the Chinese government in not enforcing good work conditions. Of all the companies at least Apple is trying. This just reeks of Antennagate where dozens of phone manufacturers had the exact same problem as Apple but the media vultures piled on Apple to gain hits. Yellow journalism is alive and well...

I agree, but it's not the NYT time reporting, it's the whole press. When something is wrong at Foxconn, they always talk of it as it if was a problem with Apple alone..
  • Reply 13 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jameskatt2 View Post

Yes how childish of the NYT to dare to do some real investigative journalism and publish those reports. And how very adult of Apple to respond in the way they allegedly have by not inviting them to media events.

I thought Apple was doing some smart things in response to the articles published by the NYT. However, being seen to bully those who dare publish negative reports about your company might make people question the sincerity of certain protestations.

I doubt NYT will be too offended though. Judging by those who were able to release lengthy scoops today, most of those in the room were probably bloggers known for kissing Apples ass at every opportunity. i.e. few real journalists.
  • Reply 14 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by luinil View Post

That's very bad communication tactics.

The public (except some apple addicts like here..) will not think that they punished the NYT for telling lies, but for telling the truth Apple wanted to hide.

The "Evil Apple" image is growing every day, and such practice won't help with that.

On what do you base your statement that "the 'Evil Apple' image is growing every day?" The only ones I know even aware of the NYT and other hit pieces on Apple are long time Apple Haters.
  • Reply 15 of 184
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    NYT has clearly not been reporting accurately (in an unbiased manner) about Apple of late.

Maybe it's some friction over subscription revenue.

Maybe it's the inability of NYT to provide a good app. (Ever seen the WSJ on the iPad?)

Maybe it's the realization that Silicon Valley isn't moving to NYC.
  • Reply 16 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

Yes how childish of the NYT to dare to do some real investigative journalism and publish those reports. And how very adult of Apple to respond in the way they allegedly have by not inviting them to media events.

It's rather humorous that you call the NYT article real investigative journalism. If they were really at the Foxconn plants and really investigated they would have addresses the fact that HP, Microsoft, and many other American tech companies have their products assembled there. Real investigative journalists would have looked into the recent protests and threats of suicide by workers on the XBox factory line at Foxconn. They ignored it and didn't investigate because it would have dampened the furor they hoped to cause against Apple. That's why this is a textbook example of yellow journalism, not something to be held up and praised.
  • Reply 17 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

On what do you base your statement that "the 'Evil Apple' image is growing every day?" The only ones I know even aware of the NYT and other hit pieces on Apple are long time Apple Haters.

My impressions on the general feeling about apple of the people I know or talk with, in and out of the internet (dismissing 'Apple haters'). This bad image is mostly due to the control on iOS (appstore, etc..). Then you have the problems in China; the problems e had with the geographical information stored in the iPhone, the current problem with the adress book, etc..

The image is so good that when the touch to the Mac App Store, a lot of people start saying Apple wants to close the mac like iOS is closed..
  • Reply 18 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

It was hardly a hit piece. Judging by what Apple publicised shortly before the story hit, leaked comments immediately afterwards, and additional measures they have since introduced, Apple knows there's a real problem. If the NYT articles does anything to help improve working conditions for some Foxconn employees then it will been well worth the while. I think slightly more important than an invite to a top secret OS X unveiling event.

It seems everyone who dares say anything negative about an Apple product is a known Apple hater. Consumer Reports during the iPhone 4 antenna debacle is a case in point. CR had a whole history of highly recommending Apple products up to that point. But the moment they dissed the sacred iPhone 4, they were denounced as well known Apple haters by the glorious followers.

I love Apple products. I'm surrounded by them in my home. But I'll never understand why there are so many ardent fanatics who get butthurt every time someone dares publish something negative about the company. Apple are not the innocent underdogs in dire need of our protection. When Apple messes up, or is doing something badly, they deserve to be called out on it like anyone else.
  • Reply 19 of 184
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

I thought Apple was doing some smart things in response to the articles published by the NYT. However, being seen to bully those who dare publish negative reports about your company might make people question the sincerity of certain protestations.

I doubt NYT will be too offended though. Judging by those who were able to release lengthy scoops today, most of those in the room were probably bloggers known for kissing Apples ass at every opportunity. i.e. few real journalists.

In what sense is not granting an exclusive interview "bullying"? It sounds like you have issues with Apple that border on the pathological. Seek help.
  • Reply 20 of 184
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Awesome news! I am happy!

Fuck the New York Times, and that's coming from me, a born and bred New Yorker. The New York Times is an extreme left leaning, trashy newspaper that went went too far this time with their lies. I thought that the New York Times was supposed to be a so-called respected newspaper, not a tabloid that engaged in slander, ignorant rumors and cheap lies.

Apple has every right to tell them to fuck off. I would do the exact same thing too. Anybody here attempting to blame or criticize Apple is totally clueless and hypocritical. No way would anybody tolerate others spreading lies about them, if it were you that somebody was spreading lies about.

How does somebody deal with douchebags? You tell them to fuck off, and you certainly don't invite them to any events that you will be having.

If I were in charge of Apple, any ignorant person who signed one of those brain dead petitions about the false and fabricated worker abuse would have their names entered into a global database and they would never, ever be allowed to purchase any more Apple products for as long as they lived. Fuck them too.

And if anybody thinks that it is Apple who is in the wrong, then I suggest that you boycott Apple. Do something about it. Stand up for your beliefs and don't be a pussy, even if your beliefs happen to be completely retarded, false and ignorant. Apple doesn't need the New York Times and Apple certainly doesn't need you.