New York Times gets Gizmodo treatment from Apple after negative reports

Comments

• Reply 21 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GregInPrague View Post

It's rather humorous that you call the NYT article real investigative journalism. If they were really at the Foxconn plants and really investigated they would have addresses the fact that HP, Microsoft, and many other American tech companies have their products assembled there. Real investigative journalists would have looked into the recent protests and threats of suicide by workers on the XBox factory line at Foxconn. They ignored it and didn't investigate because it would have dampened the furor they hoped to cause against Apple. That's why this is a textbook example of yellow journalism, not something to be held up and praised.

The NYT acknowledged other companies in their articles. They said the problem was not limited to Apple. Everyone knows this. But I'm afraid it comes with the territory when you scale the heights Apple has in recent years that the light shines on you.

Apple never complains about all the exposure the media gives them when they are launching new products. They get an unbelievable amount of free press and media coverage. You have to accept the rough side of this is you'll also get held to higher standards than competitors when journalists start investigating the less attractive sides of your business.

It doesn't excuse other companies of responsibilities of also encouraging their suppliers to clean up their act. Hopefully when they see the heat Apple has copped for this, it will have encouraged Microsoft, HP, etc. to take proactive action BEFORE the torch shines on them.

I'm glad Apple at least appears to be trying to take some action to improve conditions for workers.
  • Reply 22 of 184
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    The NYT is not the police, you don't *have* to tell them anything. They are a very old company, but still just a company, and in my opinion past their prime.

I'm sure Apple would not take this action if reports about were negative, but nevertheless objective and true. Based on what the Fair Labor organisation said about the conditions in Apple's factories, the NYT report was not objective.
  • Reply 23 of 184
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Oleia View Post

Calling ALL JOURNALIST, BLOGGERS, the media as a whole to take action and condemn such acts by Apple in trying to control the freedom of speaking and/or writing whether for or against the company. This is not about the stated article any more, this is already a form of manipulation whether directly or indirectly to withhold information which are against Apple and which the public must know.

Apple, being the attraction and currently being in the limelight, must realize that in your current position as a "Leader" in consumer electronics garners attention and being thrust into public scrutiny is inevitable. You are not perfect and the public will surely criticize. What you should do is improve, take action, prove whats true and whats not true and not to resort to your "childish" acts towards NYTimes.

Apple reports one thing, agrees to allow an independent outside source to verify the program. The media NYT reports basically the opposite mostly using undisclosed sources. How and what do you propose Apple do to prove they are doing something when the media NYT can makes accusations with no proof??
  • Reply 24 of 184
    The New York Times spin on Apple/Foxconn was shoddy- in fact, it was bizarre for the NYT to essentially ignore larger industry issues, and to try to pin all the blame on Apple. It makes no sense for Apple to reward the NYT, after that kind of treatment.
  • Reply 25 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

In what sense is not granting an exclusive interview "bullying"? It sounds like you have issues with Apple that border on the pathological. Seek help.

I stand by my opinion, if the AI piece is accurate.

I don't have issues with Apple. I love their products. I dread to think how much I've spent on their products in the past few years. But I know daring to criticise means the guns get turned on me also. That's how a certain element of the Apple community works.
  • Reply 26 of 184
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eksodos View Post

But I know daring to criticise means the guns get turned on me also. That's how a certain element of the Apple community works.

It's not that. It's that you are assuming Apple is wrong and NYT is right. The best available 3rd party evidence is the Fair Labor association which comes down on Apple's side.

You said "Apple are not the innocent underdogs in dire need of our protection. When Apple messes up, or is doing something badly, they deserve to be called out on it like anyone else," which is absolutely true, but the same applies to the NYT.
  • Reply 27 of 184
    The NY Times is not loosing any sleep over this - what an electronics company that makes computers and mp3 players thinks of them is somewhat irrelevant.
  • Reply 28 of 184
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

I don't have issues with Apple. I love their products. I dread to think how much I've spent on their products in the past few years. But I know daring to criticise means the guns get turned on me also. That's how a certain element of the Apple community works.

Turn the guns on you? Please, if you're spreading nasty untrue rumors about me don't whine you didn't get invited to my christmas party.
  • Reply 29 of 184
    You won't pick me for your team so I am taking my ball and going home.

This banning of journalists from the Apple party is childish and hypocritical. You can only write about us if it's positive.

Honestly, the CR reviews were based on evidence, HARD FACTS. If some other paper paints Apple in a negative light because they ARE ACTUALLY doing some thing wrong or have made a genuine error, then they should also be "banned." That's the general gist on here.

If that was the case then there would be a bout two papers in the world reporting on MS. Thanks God they act more grown up.
  • Reply 30 of 184
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

Yes how childish of the NYT to dare to do some real investigative journalism and publish those reports.

Real investigative journalism?? Bollocks.
  • Reply 31 of 184
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:

It's amazing how many of these "I use Apple products but..." posts we see here these days. "I'm not racist but..." sound familiar?
  • Reply 32 of 184
    neosumneosum Posts: 113member
    Quote:

Calling ALL JOURNALIST, BLOGGERS, the media as a whole to take action and condemn such acts by Apple in trying to control the freedom of speaking and/or writing whether for or against the company. This is not about the stated article any more, this is already a form of manipulation whether directly or indirectly to withhold information which are against Apple and which the public must know.

Apple, being the attraction and currently being in the limelight, must realize that in your current position as a "Leader" in consumer electronics garners attention and being thrust into public scrutiny is inevitable. You are not perfect and the public will surely criticize. What you should do is improve, take action, prove whats true and whats not true and not to resort to your "childish" acts towards NYTimes.

They do have their freedom to write/publish whatever they want. Apple also has the right to not extend an invitation to them. It goes both ways. The invitations are a privilege, not a right.
  • Reply 33 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

It's amazing how many of these "I use Apple products but..." posts we see here these days. "I'm not racist but..." sound familiar?

A very wise man once told me to never believe anything said before a "but".

It seems like we have a sudden influx of new trolls these last few days. Apple crossing the $500 per share must have brought them out of the woodwork.
  • Reply 34 of 184
    Can't tell who is trolling or is really that brainwashed. Apple making some very stupid decisions here.
  • Reply 35 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's ironic since the quality of NYT articles suggests they're mostly written by children.

Unfortunately there is no law to prevent companies like NYT from employing mentally under aged people.\
  • Reply 36 of 184
    The New York Times, while still arguably the "paper of record," does have both a history of staging single minded vendettas (e.g., their character assassination of former NY governor David Paterson, which ultimately forced him to resign) and a habit of mangling quotations (too many examples here from which to choose!) As many posters above have observed, what the Times' piece lacked in investigative research was more than made up for in the use of scurrilous accusations against Apple from so-called former executives. While this blatant "straw man" device insulted the intelligence of their readership, it seems that in an unfortunate number of cases here the insult was only too richly deserved.
  • Reply 37 of 184
    I don't know about the quality of the newspaper, but it is a bit troubling that companies would influence reports in such a way. Should not there be some FRAND laws to protect news from unfair reporting due to this behaviour? Imagine if another, more important company (in terms of danger) like nuclear reactors manufacturers, was to use that Apple tactic of only giving interviews to newspapers that report positively on them... that's pretty much a threat to liberty, isn't it?
  • Reply 38 of 184
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Personally I think the NYT's attack pieces were already in response to a perceived sleight from Apple.

This probably all goes back to the NYT's aggressive stance on not having Apple "do to newspapers what it did to music" and their negative reporting on Apple's newspaper/magazine initiatives.
  • Reply 39 of 184
    Quote:

i.e. few real journalists.

Yeah, those "real journalists" brown-nosers are too busy kissing "O's" ass!

/

/

/
  • Reply 40 of 184
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    Quote:

so is a BLOGGER opinion based (editoral) or journalist based?... one is, well just thoughts, and the other has protections(and rights) ... one is off-the-top-of-your-head, the other requires work.

how-a-about championing accuracy in your blog posts? (or are you going to say "it is my opinion, and it is my choice to distort the facts). or if you are going too "the truth hurts" ... well journalistic principles are well known.... SO USE THEM.

the New York Times is get burned because they are practicing BLOGGER journalism, Not Journalism, and are being treated as a BLOGGER.