LED maker reportedly tapped to supply chips for Apple television

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

Apple is said to have selected a key component supplier for its rumored television set, with LED chipmaker Genesis Photonics expected to enter the supply chain.

The Taiwan-based company was singled out by DigiTimes , which cited anonymous industry sources. Genesis is reportedly expected to supply LED chips to LCD panel maker Sharp for Apple's anticipated television.

Though Sharp is known for building LCD displays, the company does not produce most of the LED chips found in its screens. Sharp has used Japanese firm Nichia in the past, but it is believed to have switched to Genesis in 2011 for last year's lineup of LED HDTVs.

The partnership between Sharp and Genesis is expected to grow in 2012, as Genesis is said to have received certification for its LED chips. That could pave the way for Genesis to be a crucial component in Apple's rumored television set lineup.

Sharp's LED displays have previously been rumored to be utilized for an Apple television. One report from last November suggested that production of the HDTV could begin as early as this month at Sharp's Gen 10 Sakai facility in Osaka, Japan.

One company that is not expected to supply display panels for an Apple television is Samsung, one of Apple's chief rivals. One Samsung official said earlier this week that if Apple does launch a full-fledged television set, it won't be able to compete with Samsung in terms of picture quality.

But Samsung is also said to be contemplating a decision to spin off its struggling LCD business, which has been affected by low margins in the fiercely competitive business. Because Samsung makes devices like smartphones, tablets and computers in addition to selling displays, competitors like Apple have been reluctant to purchase components from Samsung, and have instead turned to other suppliers like Sharp or LG.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

One company that is not expected to supply display panels for an Apple television is Samsung, one of Apple's chief rivals.

Stick a fork in it Samsung. You're done!
  • Reply 2 of 39
    Quote:

One Samsung official said earlier this week that if Apple does launch a full-fledged television set, it won't be able to compete with Samsung in terms of picture quality.

...because within 2 months of Apple releasing it, samsung will have a kirf on the market.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

Stick a fork in it Samsung. You're done!

As soon as Sammy have seen anything new from Apple they will copy it, and Apple is DOOMED (again)
  • Reply 4 of 39
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Some sad news is that Sony, the once great Tv manufacturer, and the developer of many modern Tv technologies and designs, has given up on the production of displays for their own Tv's. While Apple is moving away from Samsung, Sony is now going to buy all of its displays from them in an attempt to turn around their Tv business which has been losing billions for the past several years.

A shame.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Some sad news is that Sony, the once great Tv manufacturer, and the developer of many modern Tv technologies and designs, has given up on the production of displays for their own Tv's. While Apple is moving away from Samsung, Sony is now going to buy all of its displays from them in an attempt to turn around their Tv business which has been losing billions for the past several years.

A shame.

WHAT?! But Sony panels usually had the absolute best quality. Why would they settle for crap?!

Not that I buy from either Sony or Samsung, it's just strange to see. Who's going to actually be innovating and pushing forward in the panel business now that this is the case?

Well, I guess LG. They're doing some great stuff with OLED now.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    Sharp has Panel IP the competition doesn't match up to and it was a shrewd move on Apple's part to partner with them. Sharp is positioned to deploy IGZO LCD Technology for mobile to large scale LCD February 2012, so this means with the iPad 3 getting this panel tech, so to will the iPhone/iPod Touch up to the Apple HDTV product.

Sharp has definitely been on my stock watch for the past 6 months.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

A shame.

I can't wrap my head about the TV manufacturers's inability to make money. The demand is certainly there. What happened?
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Quote:

Apple is said to have selected a key component supplier for its rumored television set, with LED chipmaker Genesis Photronics expected to enter the supply chain ...

This kind of smells to me.

The way the story is written it seems like a leak from the chip supplier, but why would Sharp (or anybody) tell the third string supplier *what* or *who* the chips were needed for? Especially a company as secretive as Apple.

I think what's happening here is that the supplier got a big order from Sharp and someone is just assuming that this is for the AppleTV.

It would seem far too early to arrange the supply chain, or far too late if the new AppleTV being announced in March is actually a TV.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    mhdmhd Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

WHAT?! But Sony panels usually had the absolute best quality. Why would they settle for crap?!

Not that I buy from either Sony or Samsung, it's just strange to see. Who's going to actually be innovating and pushing forward in the panel business now that this is the case?

Sony has always been getting their panels from Samsung, where have you been?
  • Reply 10 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MHD View Post

So where it was said earlier "giving up the production of their own displays"? that was just a lie, then?
  • Reply 11 of 39
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Because Samsung makes devices like smartphones, tablets and computers in addition to selling displays, competitors like Apple have been reluctant to purchase components from Samsung, and have instead turned to other suppliers like Sharp or LG.

That may or may not be the reason.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:

Sony panels are not the best quality. Panasonic is number one right now and Samsung are definitely above Sony, by a huge margin. I owned one of those Sony Bravia TV's and it was an expensive piece of crap. Black levels? Try brown levels. With embarrassing viewing angles to boot. No one in their right mind would let that shit out the door.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Quote:

Just remember those 27" OLED TVs that never came to market. I wouldn't hold me breath, and even if they do materialize in the next 12 months they'll be a price point no human can afford.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I can't wrap my head about the TV manufacturers's inability to make money. The demand is certainly there. What happened?

Tv's keep getting cheaper. The cheaper they get, the lower margins they have. The Tv business is a real dog eat dog business. It's like the cheap computer business. Who is making money on them? No one, really.

Then we get all of those really cheap companies from China that have been taking marketshare from the established manufacturers because of the perennially cheap American consumer who would rather buy junk if it's cheap, than quality, if it costs more. Then the worldwide deep recession that begun in late 2007, as I and some few others argued about, before it was finally made official in mid 2008, damaged further the low margins of many of these companies. The insistence of manufacturing in Japan has given others an advantage, as Japanese manufacturing costs are very high. Japanese companies are having a hard time of it now.
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MHD View Post

Well, there was a deal in recent years, but Sony still made their high end panels themselves. No more.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:

So where it was said earlier "giving up the production of their own displays"… that was just a lie, then?

They owned a plant with Samsung, and we're working on some deal with Sharp, as well as making their own displays for the XBR and other high end models, as well as their own more specialized displays. Samsung bought the rest of the operation from Sony, and will now make all of their displays, unless the deal with Sharp goes through for some.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    I know we keep seeing this mockup of basically an Apple monitor as the form factor for the new Apple TV. It's perfectly understandable.

However, knowing Apple's penchant for elegance (read: "thinness") I wouldn't be surprised if it deviated from the monitor form factor, somewhat...

I can see the use of aluminum and black glass as well as the stand. But I think it will super thin and "edgeless!"

I do hope they will offer a 50+ inch model....I've gone 3 years w/o a TV waiting for the Apple TV. Been using my 20" original intel iMac and now my iPad 2! Which really does no justice to movies or formula one race, tennis, etc.

P.S. just a side note...I think we will start seeing the iMac's moving to edgeless screens and eventually the MBA, MBP lines, too

Best
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Quote:

Then we get all of those really cheap companies from China that have been taking marketshare from the established manufacturers because of the perennially cheap American consumer who would rather buy junk if it's cheap, than quality, if it costs more.

Isn't Vizio an American company? I'm not aware of any Chinese makers on the market today other than Haier who's sales seem negligible.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Quote:

Well, there was a deal in recent years, but Sony still made their high end panels themselves. No more.

As far as I knew Samsung also supplied the LED panels for Sony.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Just remember those 27" OLED TVs that never came to market. I wouldn't hold me breath, and even if they do materialize in the next 12 months they'll be a price point no human can afford.

Well, a couple of companies have announced they will have an OLED model out late this year. I think one might have been Sharp, and the other may have been Samsung. I don't remember exactly. But one is supposed to be a 55".

We'll see if it actually happens. But don't forget that when Pioneer first came out with the first 42" plasma, it was $20,000. And that was a fair amount of time ago, so with inflation, it would be more today. And even before that, people were buying those horrible SD rear projection consoles for $10,000.

There would be a market, abet small, for even a $10,000 55" OLED set, if it was good.