Apple sold more iOS devices in 2011 than total Macs in 28 years

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

just another example of the dumbing down of Apple.

The only thing showing signs of dumbing down are Apple users, apparently.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The only thing showing signs of dumbing down are Apple users, apparently.

I'm starting to dislike more and more Apple users every day, or at least certain people who claim to be Apple users.

I have more respect for Fandroids than these "Apple users", and that's saying quite a bit, as I'm not exactly known for being fond of Fandroids.
  • Reply 23 of 49
    In another year and a half there won't be any more Apple desktop computers. There will only be powerful tablets that communicate to the Apple TV screens. The tablets will have wireless remote keyboards for those that need to type.

Data will be stored in the cloud instead of within the iPads.

My Predictions;

Apple will announce Apple TV sets in May.

By the end of 2013 Apple will sell iPads that are as powerful as their laptops.

The iMac line will be discontinued at the end of December 2013.
  • Reply 24 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

In another year and a half there won't be any more Apple desktop computers.

There will always be desktop computers. There will be desktop computers in 2050.

Quote:

Not if I have anything to say about that.

Quote:

ARM can't hope to match Intel's laptop chips, much less its desktops.
  • Reply 25 of 49
    *Big hug*

You have no idea the poor quality of contrarianism we have had to put up with while you've been preoccupied elsewhere!!

Whew, now back on topic. And of course, we have to address the obvious elephant in the room, let in by our dear beloved curmudgeon - marketshare.

While marketshare obviously is an important part of the equation it is just one part, and the other is....wait for it... profitability.

Yes, I used the p word slapppy. I know that upsets you. But let's take this back to elementary school my dear Slapson!

If a fruit vendor is selling oranges to his customers at 10 cents a bushel (50 oranges on average in a bushel, just in case you had no idea), but the oranges could be old, diseased, smaller than average, as well as decent sized and healthy, and another vendor sells his oranges for 10 cents a half bushel, but ensures that his suppliers give him first pick and A grade oranges, that means his customers are going to be happier with their fewer but better quality oranges. He sells fewer oranges, but has happy, regular customers and a slowly increasing group of customers. The other vendor sells more oranges, but his customers are less happy and see less value in what they are getting and he doesn't make as much money from his sales.

So while the first vendor is selling more oranges per purchase, and his volume of oranges sold is greater, the second is making more money per purchase, which gives him the ability to improve his shop, and diversify into kumquats because he thinks the customers will enjoy them as well. Meanwhile the first vendor finds that while he is slowly losing customers to the other one, he has discovered that he can sell his lower quality, cheaper oranges for animal feed, which keeps his sales up and the animals are less fussy about the oranges.

There: economics my dear Slapson!
  • Reply 26 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

"Boat anchor"??? Really can't see it that way.

Between my wife & kids, we have 3 iMacs, and 3 MacBooks (one doesn't get used extensively anymore).

We also have 3 iPads, 6 iPhones, 2 iTouches, 3 iPods and 4 Nanos.

So thats 6 MacOS machines, and 18 iOS devices.

While it is true that some of each group are eliminating themselves through redundancies, thats happening more in the iOS category so far. I really couldn't see eliminating either category anytime soon, if given a choice.

To continue your naval analogy, in any fleet, there are capital ships, and far more numerous support vessels. iOS devices, by their nature and intent, will be the more numerous.

All very much to Jobs' vision, and Apple's grand design...

Hey... Any chance you'd like to sell me that not used very much MacBook? I am very much interested in buying a used MacBook but find it hard to afford. Please let me know!
  • Reply 27 of 49
    Quote:

There will always be desktop computers. There will be desktop computers in 2050.

Not if I have anything to say about that.

ARM can't hope to match Intel's laptop chips, much less its desktops.

You can argue there will be desktop computers - just like there will always be some kind of mainframe computer - there's a need for that sort of thing.

But if you are arguing that every consumer will need a desktop computer - I suggest that you are already wrong.

only 80% of US households have at least one home computer according to the Census Bureau - which leaves over 61 million people without. These numbers rise and fall percentage-wise as you move from country to country - better in parts of Europe, worse in other countries of course.

"Smart" mobile devices are rapidly replacing the basic functions of the desktop computer world-wide - especially in lower economic strata countries where the mobile devices are much cheaper than regular computers, and yet deliver the majority of needs that are required for average consumer use: internet access, email, filesharing, music, photography and some kind of video.

ARM doesn't need to "match" Intel's chipsets they just have to supply chipsets that deliver to the majority average needs. And that's what they do.

So yes - there will always be desktop computers - just not taking up space in every household, sucking energy and requiring the user to manage it with an esoteric and rapidly aging interface.

Anecdotally, I was visiting my local Apple Store recently, it was the busiest store in the mall, and they were doing an iPad workshop - that looked like an AARP meeting with a couple of younger folks thrown in for good measure. People who are by virtue of age and and inclination less likely to embrace new technology were lively, chattering away about their favorite apps with each other and the workshop leader - and there were 12-14 packed around the table for the workshop. A number of them (as I listened in, waiting for my Genius appointment) were actually replacing their desktop PC with an iPad, and apparently delighted to do so.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

In another year and a half there won't be any more Apple desktop computers. There will only be powerful tablets that communicate to the Apple TV screens. The tablets will have wireless remote keyboards for those that need to type.

My Predictions;

Apple will announce Apple TV sets in May.

The iMac line will be discontinued at the end of December 2013.

Too quick, but otherwise spot on.

It will happen in stages - first off: Kill the Mac Pro.
  • Reply 29 of 49
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

I calls 'em like I sees 'em.

Perhaps a trip to your local opticians might be in order.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:

Trolls are blind from the start.
  • Reply 31 of 49
    Quote:

Likely Apple has made more profit form one year's iPhone sales than all the Macs put together from the dawn of time.

Macs seem to be a boat anchor for Apple these days.

Yeah, a boat anchor that brings in billions of profits each year. A real boat anchor ties up your distribution pipeline while making you little or no money.

Quote:

You apparently didn't see the upward kink in the graph for recent Mac sales. Almost as steep as the iPad.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by slapppy View Post

It looks impressive at first until you compare it to Windows/PC sales. The numbers posted by Apple are minuscule and pathetic in comparison. Thats just the truth. Google it.

You don't think Dell or HP wouldn't kill for the fat profits Apple gets off their Macs?
  • Reply 32 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

You don't think Dell or HP wouldn't kill for the fat profits Apple gets off their Macs?

That doesn't matter at all. All that matters is the number sold. And when Apple surpasses everyone else in number sold, all that will matter is how many there are being used, regardless of if they're still running Windows 95.

Official slapppy color (#514999 for 'slappp') and everything, so you know it's right.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Impressive figures.

It's exciting to see Apple showing us just how far the rabbit hole goes...
  • Reply 34 of 49
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Seriously some of us have followed Apple since the Apple I days when Byte magazine was real paper. This is truly amazing. It is even more amazing that an iPhone or iPad can run circles around most computers I've ever owned. Apples resurrection has been nothing less than a shock.
  • Reply 35 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

Between my wife & kids, we have 3 iMacs, and 3 MacBooks (one doesn't get used extensively anymore).

We also have 3 iPads, 6 iPhones, 2 iTouches, 3 iPods and 4 Nanos.

So thats 6 MacOS machines, and 18 iOS devices.

Can you tell us what you do for a living please, and how you got into that career?
  • Reply 36 of 49
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I was reading this on MacRumors yesterday. It is amazing and the Mac sales are going to trend up now in iOS coat tails I am sure. Just watch that iPad line go higher than them all soon. All good for AAPL in 2012. Come on Tim a 5:1 split ... Psychological inducement ...

Many Apple people have said that they expected the iPad to be a success, but had no idea at all that it would sell in the numbers it has. It is nice to be surprised like that.

It should come as no surprise that sales volume (number of products) of devices costing hundreds of dollars exceed those which cost thousands of dollars. Likewise, it should come as no surprise that price is a factor in sales in general. Perhaps Apple will take a lesson from this and price their computers more in line with hardware of similar capability running other operating systems. It just could come as a surprise to them that they would sell more of them and making a greater profit, even if the margins per product sold were not as great. Greater market share would also allow the amortizing of R&D costs across more products, thereby reducing the R&D cost component per unit sold which does positively contribute to margins.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    Quote:

Too quick, but otherwise spot on.

It will happen in stages - first off: Kill the Mac Pro.

If that comes to pass, there will be a lot of former Apple computer users. They may use the iPad or whatever it is, but will still need a real computer.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:

Any potential implication gleaned from this post is meaningless because of one simple thing:

Tim Cook loves the Mac.

I'd say it's meaningless because of the fact you could also say that the Mac sold more in its latest 3 years than it did in the first 20 years.

There's also the points covered about relative product costs (Apple didn't make a $500 Mac until the Mini in 2007, notice the uptick at the 23 mark).

Also, more people buy phones than computers, the relative market sizes are about 5:1 (1.5b phones vs 300m computers) so if you get the same share in both, the phones should far outnumber the computers.

It doesn't matter, they are all on very steep climbing trajectories so no worries from any product line.
  • Reply 39 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RBR View Post

If that comes to pass, there will be a lot of former Apple computer users. They may use the iPad or whatever it is, but will still need a real computer.

Wouldn't it be something to kill the "tower?"

In one fell swoop Apple would instantly make all the other PC makers look more stodgy, antiquated and pedantic than they already do! I mean really, cables are so 1992,

And, only Apple has the "b*lls" to do it, too!

Best

P.S. "Anyone who uses the word, 'pedantic....' is pedantic....". I got that from someone on these boards! Made me laugh!
  • Reply 40 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Wouldn't it be something to kill the "tower?"

In one fell swoop Apple would instantly make all the other PC makers look more stodgy, antiquated and pedantic than they already do! I mean really, cables are so 1992,

And, only Apple has the "b*lls" to do it, too!

Best

P.S. "Anyone who uses the word, 'pedantic....' is pedantic....". I got that from someone on these boards! Made me laugh!

Christopher,

I don't know what you are thinking, but there is no one in the rest of the market in a hurry to kill off the tower. Sure, laptop sales are the market leader and will continue to grow relative to tower sales, but there will be a market for towers, without regard to the installed OS, for the foreseeable future.

If you apply the "logic" that Mac Pros only represent a small percentage of Apple revenue and kill them off, the next step is "iMacs only represent a small portion of Apple revenue" and so on. I don't think that makes a great deal of sense, but you may be of a different opinion.

It would be a shame if Apple were to drop the Mac Pro.

This is not a "Nikon is slow delivering what I want, I'm going to switch to Canon" type of discussion. If Apple kills the Mac Pro there will be people who will have to turn elsewhere, but not out of choice.

Cheers