Apple ends physical media OS distribution with Mountain Lion

Comments

• Reply 21 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Pity the people still on dial-up.

If they are still on dial-up perhaps they are still using old Mac that won't even run ML
  • Reply 22 of 110
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jdlink View Post

So how do I update the 10 users in my office? Download it 10 times? (We're still on Snow Leopard.)

On Macworld.com there was a step by step instruction on how to create a bootable install disc with Lion, on a 16 or 8 gb ( can't remember) USB drive. I have used mine several times to install Lion and to run disk utility.

Here are links:

http://www.google.com/search?q=how%2...%20disc%20lion
  • Reply 23 of 110
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member
    I like having the System Install on physical media, simply as a back-up copy or a last-case scenario in case my entire system crashes, etc, I lose a hard drive, and have to re-install, etc.

IN the case the at all else fails and I do not have an internet connection, I want some sort of backup on hand. That's why I always thought it was important to have the System Discs for any Mac I bought, new or used...very important.
  • Reply 24 of 110
    Quote:

They can simply take the bus to the nearest Apple Store and use WiFi. Problem solved.

They can make a party out of it and go with all of their friends.
  • Reply 25 of 110
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Guys come on. Multiple computer installs is a legit question.

I'd like to see the opportunity to scan the network and install to networked clients over the LAN. Or give me the ability to cache the updates on a ML Server and deploy that way.
  • Reply 26 of 110
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Yeah, because the kinds of people content with dial-up need to be running the last bleeding edge OS. The main improvement to ML are related to syncing, etc, which I would presume would be absolute torture on dial-up, if they even work in the first place (iCloud states it requires a broadband connection). Potential customers for ML who are on dial-up would be an EXTREMELY small minority, not enough for Apple to care about- nor should they. If I was stuck on dial-up, the least of my concerns would be running ML. I would sooner run a 10 year old OS on a broadband connection.

Maybe Apple should start re-adding modems to all their computers and devices, so they can access the internet through a dial-up connection. Which begs the question, how the hell are people using macs made in the last 10 years using dial-up anyway? I've never seen a wifi router with modem inputs, nor do modem inputs exist on Apple hardware.
  • Reply 27 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by madhatter61 View Post

If they are still on dial-up perhaps they are still using old Mac that won't even run ML

Not necessarily true. There are areas just a few miles from me where people have no option for high-speed internet. It's not a matter of choosing to be behind the times, considering the cable company won't go out there and they're too far away to get DSL, but a matter of location. I won't even start discussing the limitations that satellite internet providers set...
  • Reply 28 of 110
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

They can simply take the bus to the nearest Apple Store and use WiFi. Problem solved.

They can make a party out of it and go with all of their friends.

I suspect you're being sarcastic but there are still some people with no access to broadband who are also quite some distance from any Apple store. I guess since it's such a small percentage, Apple doesn't care. It's too much trouble to make a few DVDs or USB drives.
  • Reply 29 of 110
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    use this: http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433 to create your own USB drive version - at least with Lion - I would suspect it will also be available for ML.

there are other ways to make the recovery partition visible - but that utility would seem to be the easiest way to go.
  • Reply 30 of 110
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I suspect you're being sarcastic but there are still some people with no access to broadband who are also quite some distance from any Apple store. I guess since it's such a small percentage, Apple doesn't care. It's too much trouble to make a few DVDs or USB drives.

People who live that far off the grid shouldn't worry about things like that. Even the security patches are hundreds of megs. You need to have your relatives in the big city help you out by sending you discs in the mail.
  • Reply 31 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

I support this move on Apple's part, but only if they do two additional things:
    1. Provide an easy way to download ML and burn to optical media / convert to USB installation

2. Provide firmware updates for their hardware running Windows as well

As "future-thinking" as this is, it makes computer OS reinstallation and triage a pain in the ass--and the fact that you need OS X to get OS X is a massive oversight.

What if I don't have OS X? What if my version of OS X is completely damaged and I can't use it?

Virus, user negligence and hard disk failure are all real-world scenarios.

"Lion Internet Recovery

If you happen to encounter a situation in which you cannot start from the Recovery HD, such as your hard drive stopped responding or you installed a new hard drive without Mac OS X installed, new Mac models introduced after public availability of OS X Lion automatically use the Lion Internet Recovery feature if the Recovery HD (Command-R method above) doesn't work. Lion Internet Recovery lets you start your Mac directly from Apple's Servers. The system runs a quick test of your memory and hard drive to ensure there are no hardware issues."
  • Reply 32 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by I am a Zither Zather Zuzz View Post

The busses don't run to two and a half hours away from here and back.

I'm not on dial-up, but the point stands.
  • Reply 33 of 110
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Yeah, because the kinds of people content with dial-up need to be running the last bleeding edge OS. The main improvement to ML are related to syncing, etc, which I would presume would be absolute torture on dial-up, if they even work in the first place (iCloud states it requires a broadband connection). Potential customers for ML who are on dial-up would be an EXTREMELY small minority, not enough for Apple to care about- nor should they. If I was stuck on dial-up, the least of my concerns would be running ML. I would sooner run a 10 year old OS on a broadband connection.

Maybe Apple should start re-adding modems to all their computers and devices, so they can access the internet through a dial-up connection. Which begs the question, how the hell are people using macs made in the last 10 years using dial-up anyway? I've never seen a wifi router with modem inputs, nor do modem inputs exist on Apple hardware.

All good points. And I suppose since I don't like, need, trust or want iCloud, I should never update my operating system. Good thing, because I don't particularly care for iOS anyway and it looks like Mac OS X will soon BE iOS. Put me in the EXTREMELY small minority, even though I do have broadband.
  • Reply 34 of 110
    Has anyone taken apart the Mountain Lion installer yet? Is there still an ESDInstall DMG you can boot from?
  • Reply 35 of 110
    This will be the second OS I won't buy.

I need the DVD.
  • Reply 36 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

This will be the second OS I won't buy.

I need the DVD.

For what reason? Download it and make dozens of your own.
  • Reply 37 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xamian View Post

There are areas just a few miles from me where people have no option for high-speed internet. It's not a matter of choosing to be behind the times...

Yes, yes it is. These days, choosing to live in a god-forsaken rural hellhole with no access to the 21st century is absolutely a choice.
  • Reply 38 of 110
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shidell View Post

Did you read my post, or just the first sentence? Apple should have a supported, standard way of burning ML to media or converting it to a USB installer.

It's not a feature of the installer but it is supported with Disk Utility. I don't see this as a problem because it's not how Apple wants people to use their OS. Since it requires no authentication to install I think we can without Apple writing new code that even 1% of the readers of tech sites won't do.

Quote:

Additionally, not every "tech" has an repair HDD.

Every Mac that Lion installs will create the Recovery HD and most that will be eligible for ML will have the Internet Recovery option, too.

Quote:

I am the only Apple user in my office, and I have Windows installed. If my HDD dies, I cannot network boot (as network booting actually requires a valid, working OS X partition). Installing Snow Leopard to upgrade to Lion to then upgrade to Mountain Lion is the pain I'm talking about.

I have no idea what you're getting on about. Why install SL instead of just installing Lion first? It sounds like you have ignored or don't understand how easy it is to create a bootable image of Lion. And if you're that afraid to make a bootable copy then buy fucking Lion installer. It's priced well under what the DVD of Mac OS X used to cost.

And what Mac do you have that doesn't have the EFI firmware update that allows for the Internet Recovery option? Note just how many units of all Macs will be eligible for ML but don't have the EFI firmware updated for Internet Recovery? You really fall into a small category of users.

Quote:

Let's at least hope you can migrate directly to ML from Snow Leopard, but Apple still needs to provide supported ways of making optical and USB media for installation from scratch.

I thought you had serious concerns. Now I see you're purposely being ridiculous.

Quote:

Why should we have to Google it? Why won't Apple simply support it? Clearly there's a need for it.

You're asking why you, a human being of finite knowledge, would have to ever do a modicum of research to get a rudimentary understanding of something? Seriously?! Irony is if you'd taken 30 seconds to do a simple search you would already know everything I've stated in this thread.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

Has anyone taken apart the Mountain Lion installer yet? Is there still an ESDInstall DMG you can boot from?

Good question! I assume it's the same but I'll re-download the file and check. I'll also check for the size to let you know if it will still fit on a SL-DVD.

edit: It's still there, it's in the same place, and it's 3.7GB which might be smaller than for Lion.
  • Reply 39 of 110
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    You can't expect to run today's OS on yesterday's hardware OR yesterday's network connection. It's all one big integrated system now.
  • Reply 40 of 110
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Guys come on. Multiple computer installs is a legit question.

I'd like to see the opportunity to scan the network and install to networked clients over the LAN. Or give me the ability to cache the updates on a ML Server and deploy that way.

Yeah thats my problem. I have 6 work stations and one server at my office. Whats the best way to upgrade all these machines? Even .x updates can take hours on the weekend.