New pixel-level photos point to Retina Display iPad

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014

Fresh photos purported to be of the much rumored next generation iPad's display have surfaced on Friday, and the microscope-enlarged images clearly show a QXGA screen that is twice the resolution of current versions of Apple's tablet.

While rumors of a Retina Display-sporting new iPad model have been increasing in intensity over the past months, leaked photos of screens, components, and even a partially constructed "iPad 3" have bombarded the web. The increasing amount of rumored "evidence" regarding a new iPad screen has been at the center of many discussions, though until now no substantial proof had been presented that clearly shows a change in display resolution.

The pictures released on Friday reveal a 9.7-inch screen that boasts a pixel density of 2048x1536, which could classify it as a Retina Display if it is indeed used by Apple in an upcoming version of the iPad. Current models of the iPad have a resolution of 1024x768 pixels, making the newly photographed display comparatively twice as dense.

These images, allegedly from a so-called "iPad 3" display that MacRumors obtained through unreported channels, were taken through a microscope in order to more accurately discern the exact number of pixels as compared to a current iPad 2. Previously leaked photos only showed a screen that was powered off, and thus pixel density could not be distinguished by the naked eye.

While the new photos are also of an unpowered display, ambient light was enough to clearly illustrate the increase in pixel density.

Apple is expected to unveil the next generation iPad in the coming weeks, with unofficial reports pegging March 7 as the rumored announcement date.

[ View article on AppleInsider ]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    Good enough for me.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    This may be enough to finally make me commit to iPad ownership.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    Who are the jerks in these plants who are getting paid off for pictures like this? Clearly Foxconn has to accelerate their labor replacing robots implementation.

Edit: I see that MacRumors is probably in receipt of a stolen iPad 3 display. Apple should deploy the heavy legal artillery to recover any and all samples or property that is clearly theirs.

Quote:

MacRumors has now been able to obtain one of these iPad 3 displays and examine it under a microscope in an effort to determine whether it is indeed an ultra-high resolution Retina display. Physically, the purported iPad 3 display is the same size as the current iPad 1 and iPad 2 display at 9.7" in diagonal, and looks quite similar to the naked eye.

• Reply 4 of 38
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I hope Apple have worked some magic and kept this either the same weight or even lighter.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Who are the jerks in these plants who are getting paid off for pictures like this? Clearly Foxconn has to accelerate their labor replacing robots implementation.

And then the hacking would begin...
  • Reply 6 of 38
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

Edit: I see that MacRumors is probably in receipt of a stolen iPad 3 display. Apple should deploy the heavy legal artillery to recover any and all samples or property that is clearly theirs.

Apparently they bought it legitimately. The panels are available for purchase. This is PROBABLY the iPad 3 display, but not 100% confirmation.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    The iPad 1 and 2 display is already pretty good. It's better than the displays in most people's monitors, as it is IPS. But this iPad 3 display is just going to be sick! I'm quite happy with my iPad 2 display, but I'll be getting the iPad 3 also, as it is simply too tempting for anybody to resist.

I can also imagine that it will be too much for any scalpers and other douchebags to resist, and the demand will be ridiculous.

Samsung had better get ready and make another one of their pathetic and ineffective commercials, because there are going to be alot of long lines soon outside of Apple stores and other places like Best Buy etc.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It's quite impressive manufacturing technology, to make such a dense screen without dead pixels. It was only a few years ago that dead pixels were commonplace but nowadays it's rare to find one on your new computer.

Also, I guess if they can do 9.7" they can probable do 11" and 13" which is why the retina support in OS X.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:

I don' think Apple has any recourse since it's not an Apple product; it's a component that Apple uses in their product. Now the component maker could take issue with it if it was indeed obtained illegally but unlike the prototype iPhone that Gizmodo bought these displays are clearly for sale in some regard at this point.

Now that doesn't mean Apple won't request MR to remove the photos and/or prevent them from getting any early press info.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Now that doesn't mean Apple won't request MR to remove the photos and/or prevent them from getting any early press info.

Apple. Give one of our brothers early press info.

That's a good one.

And I believe that as of two or three years ago, Apple got off their 'take down the images' kick because that instantaneously validated what was up as being real.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And I believe that as of two or three years ago, Apple got off their 'take down the images' kick because that instantaneously validated what was up as being real.

Pretty much. By the time Apple found out it was cached all over the internet and just caused the blogosphere to create more chatter about it thus increasing it's awareness while validating it. Not their most brilliant move.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Apparently they bought it legitimately. The panels are available for purchase. This is PROBABLY the iPad 3 display, but not 100% confirmation.

How could they possibly buy it legitimately, especially because there are no other products in existence that it would work with? This being a product made for Apple (if it is indeed real), they own it!
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don' think Apple has any recourse since it's not an Apple product; it's a component that Apple uses in their product. Now the component maker could take issue with it if it was indeed obtained illegally but unlike the prototype iPhone that Gizmodo bought these displays are clearly for sale in some regard at this point.

Can anyone tell me where, and from whom, I can buy this exact display today? I don't believe this component is available to anyone else currently. Color me doubtful.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Can anyone tell me where, and from whom, I can buy this exact display today? I don't believe this component is available to anyone else currently. Color me doubtful.

Right here.

$122.99

http://www.truesupplier.com/oem-appl...-pr-29884.html

• Reply 15 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Right here.

$122.99

• Reply 16 of 38
    Quote:

Now, see how cheap they are? All these rumors that the display would drive up the price were unfounded!
  • Reply 17 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Right here.

$122.99

But the price drops to $120.26\twhen you buy 10, to $116.89 when you buy 20, and $114.68 when you buy 50. Based on the progression they will be free once Apple buys more than 1700.

In all seriousness, iSuppli listed the iPad 2 display as costing Apple $127. ignoring all the stated prices I find it hard to accept that Apple will get a Retina Display for the iPad at a lower price.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Now, see how cheap they are? All these rumors that the display would drive up the price were unfounded!

2048x1536 IPS on a 9.7" flat touchscreen. I honestly did not see this coming. Even the PADDs in Star Trek (DS9 only for me, thanks) did not seem so high-res. [BTW when is Paramount going to license that Star Trek interface for touchscreens? There's some good and fun IP there]
  • Reply 19 of 38
    Quote:

How could they possibly buy it legitimately, especially because there are no other products in existence that it would work with? This being a product made for Apple (if it is indeed real), they own it!

Standard component manufacturer modus operandi.

1. Get contract from famous company

2. Manufacture for said company

3. Sell same or lower-quality components on the side

4. ???

5. Profit!
  • Reply 20 of 38
    Oh yeah! 3219456 pixels to give love to!

I spend most of time zoomed in at 500% in Photoshop .. this is graphic design at a whole new level!

Glad as hell I sold my iPad 2 .. for 400$ Impressive how Apple products keep their value!

www.Carlo.me/ipad