New York Times gets Gizmodo treatment from Apple after negative reports

Comments

• Reply 161 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

The people working for Microsoft (foxconn) threatened suicide if working conditions did not improve for them. How is this not the front page newws on this issue?

Because no one cares about what Microsoft does. And that's the only reason.
  • Reply 162 of 184
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

Because Steve went to India when he was young?

Get real.

You should read their contracts. Nothing Zen about Apple.

And you should read the biography, for starters.

Part 2.:

See palomine, quoted beow.
  • Reply 163 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

This just proves what I've been saying all along.

No, it doesn't. Unless the only thing you've been saying all along is that Apple doesn't want to invite the NYT to a press conference. Any other conclusion is speculative at best.

Quote:

As a condition to be "exclusively" invited to their press event, Apple asks for favorable reviews and hype over its products. The more hype and coverage you generate with the word "apple" in your tags, the more likely you will be awarded a spot to gain access.

It's called marketing. What motivation would Apple (or any company, for that matter) have to invite a media outlet to a private press conference, if they didn't think it would be positive for them?

Quote:

No one would dare say a bad thing about Apple now because they wield that heavy stick. Then again, that isnt quite surprising as they are bullies after all.

What "heavy stick" is that? Being invited to a press conference? What value is that to an objective journalistic outlet?

Quote:

Conflict of interest and little dose of moral hazard at hand folks.

Explain.

Quote:

All those who say otherwise are in denial.

Proof? If none is required, then I assert you are in denial.

Quote:

If my statements were NOT true, then Apple would've continued to invite NY Times to their event.

Non-sequitir.

Quote:

But, after this, that isn't so.

Whats funny is that, all of the media companies after the "bad presses" regarding antenna gate issues, iPhone 4 design release and now the workplace issues are ALL based on facts.

"Antenna Gate" - Loved the headline, no media hype there. Ignoring for a moment the fact that it was blown out of proportion by the "journalists", explain what so many of the 'affected' devices continue to work, error free (and without the bumper) despite this supposed fatal design flaw?

"iP4 design release" - How is this relevant to your argument in the least? A "journalist" knowingly took possession of stolen goods, and leaked industrial secrets. If anything it supports and gives legitimacy to Apple's stance on not engaging media when they believe the results may be unfavorable.

"workplace issues" - The biggest issue here is that Apple is being singled out by name in a patently sensationalist manner by the supposed "journalists". Again, supporting Apples selective invitations when dealing with the media.

Quote:

Apple doesn't want to ruin its perfectly molded image of its self as this prevailing white knight that everyone (especially in this neck of the woods) thinks the company is.

Of course not, it's called public relations.

Quote:

In short, it didn't want to face the truth. What happened after the aftermath of all three instances? Rubber covers were issued to consumers for the antenna gate,

A move that was more public relations than anything else. A prudent choice frankly.

Quote:

more strict security policies were in place to prevent further leaks

A necessary self-defense against unscrupulous "journalists". This does not support you position.

Quote:

and increased scrutiny on its third party OEM's.

What increase? The only increase has been in the "reporting" on this. There hasn't been any significant change in behavior on Apple's part.

Quote:

None of this would've happened if the stuff that was reported were indeed false.

That conclusion is not logically supported by your statements.

Quote:

The posts that I expect after this will determine who is truly delusional and those who are rational.

Have at it people.

On what basis can you make this claim?

Quote:

Bad journalism?

How so?

Failure to report factual information in a fair an unbiased manner.

Quote:

Because it reflects Apple in a negative way = "bad journalism"?

No, see above.

Quote:

So you think the practices that Apple's third party OEM's are doing are perfectly legal and okay?

Not in all cases, no.

Quote:

That there is nothing immoral about it?

Debatable, and again not in all cases.

Quote:

How about I call you having bad citizenship?

Irrelevant. This doesn't even apply as a metaphor.

Quote:

If you see something wrong, you go and fix it.

That is how civilizations expect of its citizens.

You claim to see the problem. Why haven't you fixed it?

Quote:

Those who turn a blind eye to that in the name of personal gain don't have to right to be called citizens.

Incorrect and irrelevant.

Quote:

Now in the face of globalization, we arent just citizens of certain countries of a "global" citizen now.

We all should act like one.

A novel ideal espoused by armchair activists. Unfortunately not practical when social, cultural, political and legal imperatives are at odds in disparate countries.
  • Reply 164 of 184
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palomine View Post

Those complex and high context contracts are a reflection of what is required to even carry out a relationship with suppliers/customers et al. We live in a high context society whe every iota of terms and conditions are expected to be spelled out or NO DEAL.

Doesn't mean Apple can't work within the constraints of modern international business to try to do the right thing wherever they can and be ever mindful of its very important customers. While Apple can't commandeer the plant in China , they can offer educational classes and try to raise the general conditions, even though they don't own it.

It will be interesting to watch them be mindful into the future. For sure, they won't waste your time!

That's the word?mindful. I'm not 100 percent serious about the Zen thing, but I am about how mindfulnness of the customer and, deeply, mindful products and sourcing got into Apple's DNA. I'm trying to find an arresting way to show how Apple is post-corporate as far as ethics and level of exploitation goes.

How did this consciousness get into Apple's mission?in contrast to the average tech company?

I can only say here that it's in the biography, and it has to do with Job's favorite book in his tripping days, both inner tripping and outer, to India. That would be Ram Dass's Be Here Now.

And IMO a true picture of Zen would see no inherent contradiction between business and philosophy, as long as the business aimed at enlightenment.
  • Reply 165 of 184
    Last I checked, David Pogue worked for the NY Times. And I got most of my early info about Mountain Lion from Pogue's article posted early Thursday. So this A.I. article is demonstrably untrue.
  • Reply 166 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Last I checked, David Pogue worked for the NY Times. And I got most of my early info about Mountain Lion from Pogue's article posted early Thursday. So this A.I. article is demonstrably untrue.

Pogue has something of a special status with Apple. HE, singularly, received Mountain Lion.
  • Reply 167 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Pogue has something of a special status with Apple. HE, singularly, received Mountain Lion.

I don't recall Pogue saying he was one of the tech reviewers or describing the situation leading up to the special preview including but not limited to talking with Schiller. Plus his artcile came out quite a bit after other bloggers that were given a sneak peak.
  • Reply 168 of 184
    Well looks like the NY Times is on to something. i guess Apple has more to hide than they let on. Fox conn is the tip of the iceberg.
  • Reply 169 of 184
    and as the Germans said "we were only baking bread in the ovens"
  • Reply 170 of 184
    "The NYT could have written a piece about Chinese work conditions in general and pointed out that a large majority of the products Americans buy are made overseas, but instead they chose to single out Apple as the bad guys in order to get more traffic."

it's because Apple is the biggest manufacture now. Dell and HP were in china first taking advantage of the slave labor that was already there. Apple just joined the party in the race to the bottom that stated in 2001. Apple is not the forward thinking company it was in the 80s now its just another greedy Corp trying to make money anyway they know how. if its down and dirty they will go there. just ask any of the independent resellers Apples is shutting down every month.

and if you think Apple making PR over joining the Fair Labor Association seems like they doing something positive. Check out who funds the Fair Labor association. Every US company that wants to look good, kind of a conflict of interest. Its a sham. There is so much more to this story. its fun to watch greedy companies get their comeuppance.
  • Reply 171 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sternapples53 View Post

"The NYT could have written a piece about Chinese work conditions in general and pointed out that a large majority of the products Americans buy are made overseas, but instead they chose to single out Apple as the bad guys in order to get more traffic."

it's because Apple is the biggest manufacture now. Dell and HP were in china first taking advantage of the slave labor that was already there. Apple just joined the party in the race to the bottom that stated in 2001. Apple is not the forward thinking company it was in the 80s now its just another greedy Corp trying to make money anyway they know how. if its down and dirty they will go there. just ask any of the independent resellers Apples is shutting down every month.

and if you think Apple making PR over joining the Fair Labor Association seems like they doing something positive. Check out who funds the Fair Labor association. Every US company that wants to look good, kind of a conflict of interest. Its a sham. There is so much more to this story. its fun to watch greedy companies get their comeuppance.

So Apple is evil and no matter what they do they are wrong and everyone else is right. Got it!
  • Reply 172 of 184
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Well, there you go: Chinese manufacturing is much like the holocaust, in that bees! In my head! Millions of bees!
  • Reply 173 of 184
    Quote:

I guess, but it's even funner to listen to complete lunatics rant on the internet.
  • Reply 174 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alcstarheel View Post

The trolls are out and they are being fed.

...being fed by DED, no less.
  • Reply 175 of 184
    Quote:

• Reply 176 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Cretin's Law

The faster and larger an online discussion grows, the probability of a civilized conversation based on the original topic approaches 0. (Check out Digg.com for examples of Cretin's Law)
  • Reply 177 of 184
    Quote:

And with that single line, you guarantee that nothing you have said or will say can be taken in a serious light.

lol, bravo
  • Reply 178 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

That's ironic since the quality of NYT articles suggests they're mostly written by children.

What a dumb comment.
  • Reply 179 of 184
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alann View Post

What a dumb comment.

What a brillant response¡ Care to clarify what is so dumb about my joke. I can see how you might not find it funny, but dumb?
  • Reply 180 of 184
    I realize some people have some kind of reflexive distaste for the guy, but Gruber points out something kind of obvious that I don't think has been mentioned: Apple has a history of granting exclusive scoops to the WSJ.

Quote:

Erik Wemple of The Washington Post notes this exclusive Mountain Lion-announcement-day interview the WSJ scored with Tim Cook and somehow concludes that Apple is giving The New York Times reduced access because of the Times?s ?iEconomy? investigative reporting series. Problem is, The Wall Street Journal has been Apple?s favorite publication for exclusive leaks and interviews for years. For as long as I can recall, really. The Journal, for example, got the biggest exclusive in Apple history: the June 2009 leak that Steve Jobs had a liver transplant three months earlier.

Right? Don't recall anyone talking about how Apple was "punishing" the NYT when the WSJ got the big story on Steve's liver transplant.

But, amazingly, all it takes is one guy's opinion, an opinion that takes no mind of an established precedent and runs with a stock Post Hoc fallacy (because the Times was mean to Apple, an exclusive granted to the Wall Street Journal must be punishment) and we have a bunch of people going crazy with the "Apple is a big bully, a baby, they've jumped the shark, they're out of control, etc." nonsense.

Worse, Gruber goes on to note that Henry Blodget just made up some shit about how David Pogue, even thought he actually got a preview copy of ML, probably didn't you know, get a face to fact sit down like the Apple sycophants because, you know, you've got to figure that's how Apple rolls, on account of..... you know....... except it didn't happen that way:

Quote:

The NYT?s gadget guru, David Pogue, did get a sneak-preview review copy of Apple?s new operating system for a week, which is another favor Apple PR gives to approved journalists. But he does not appear to have gotten access to Apple?s execs, the way John Gruber and the WSJ did. It would have been self-defeating for Apple PR to completely snub Pogue, who has his own following and who generally writes breathless reviews of Apple products. So Apple?s retaliation, in other words, appears to be cleverly subtle. Did we mention that Apple?s PR team is really good at this game?

By sheer coincidence, I can report that this is nonsense. When I left my briefing with Schiller last Wednesday in New York, waiting in the hallway for the next briefing was: David Pogue.

And so we get all these jackasses constantly claiming that the "fan boys" will excuse anything Apple does, while simultaneously getting completely hysterical over any random bit of web rumor, no matter how thinly sourced or easily refutable. You guys are awesome, really. Good job.